Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 01:50 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Retiring, want to be closer to the few relatives left. Combine that with the feeling that comes after 25 x Phoenix summers and the urge to move “up the country”, it’ll be the prefect time to build a new home some 1800 miles away.
Curious where you moved to. I wish you the best of luck.

I'll take 25 x Phoenix summers than 25 x cold winters elsewhere, but enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 07:55 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,805 times
Moved to the country when I was 30 to get away from my relatives. Since then my relatives all moved to the coasts. But, I knew I made the right decision and stayed in the country.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:14 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Angry The city abandoned the taxpayers, so I abandoned the city.

I used to live and work in Chicago, and basically put up with the petty (and not so petty) crime and other quality of life issues because of my job. Then my former employer downsized (and eventually went bankrupt) and I got a new position with offices all over the country (except not in CA or NY, for tax reasons), and they were okay with me relocating.

I stayed with my original location in the city (mostly just out of inertia), but was almost never home, and meanwhile city/county/state kept ramping up their efforts at revenue extraction and simultaneously ramping down any effort at actual law enforcement.

So I moved to a town, state with no income tax, no sales tax, and a local violent crime rate of effectively zero.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:27 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Curious where you moved to. I wish you the best of luck.

I'll take 25 x Phoenix summers than 25 x cold winters elsewhere, but enjoy!
Deep South, about 125 miles from where I grew up and 18 miles from where I earned my undergrad degree. This town occasionally makes one of the “best places “ to retire list but again, we’ll be out in the country.

Don’t get me wrong- I’ve enjoyed it here but, the summers are tough!

Old 08-11-2020, 04:24 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
We moved last Fall to get away from our bipolar daughter and all her friends that stole us blind and wrecked our cars.

At least now we have peace some of the time. She's homeless and without wheels now.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:29 PM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
We're moving from the country to an even more rural area because we were invaded by the cidiots. We are far, but not quite far enough away from the city/suburbia.
They have decimated our quality of life here.
Families here for generations, leaving.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:54 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,330 times
I did 24 years of Long Island suburb followed by 32 years of Oakland/Bay Area city life/work.

At 55 I was able to begin collecting a good pension and was more than ready to be a country girl.

The 3 great dogs wanted a place where they could go swimming without a half hour car ride.

It was 2006, market was good and I sold my little city bungalow and bought 28 with both a pond and a stream that ran through the property.

Still happy with my decision 14 years later. Turns out country life suits me just fine. Politically the region is very conservative but there are enough progressive folks for me to have some like minded friends.

I'm about 12 easy miles to go into town for groceries, doctor, library, half a dozen places to eat, etc.

Blacksburg/Christiansburg is 45 - 50 minutes away and very little traffic until you get there.

If we can get a half way decent Chinese restaurant in town that would be the icing on the cake.

All of the planing and prep work to get my stuff physically packed up was a big undertaking but once moved and mostly unpacked life here was and still is good. All of the original dogs who came with me are long gone but I got into adopting senior black labs and each one has been a joy to have in my life.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:36 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
We lived in a nice urban area of town houses. Enter Section 8, low income renters, Hispanics to the area. The local elementary school (K through 6th) got overcrowded with them (most of whom couldn't speak English). No room for the fifth and sixth graders, they had to be bused to the inter city school. The Hispanic girls were picking on the local white girls, beating them up, cutting them with razor blades they cheeked, etc. Local Hispanic gangs got active, destroyed the brand new playground equipment. Spray painting, vandalism. Busted out the windows on our brand new mini van. We had enough.

We moved across state to where my in-laws lived. Bought a big old hundred year house on an acre of land for a fraction of what our town house cost. We took a loss on our old house, but oh well. Enrolled kids in the local schools. Looking at the school, it almost looked like the one I went to in the 60's. As DH noted from the first, 98 percent white. No Hispanics or evidence of gangs.

Sorry, my apologies to all you SJW's, but from what we experienced: low income minorities/diversity equals trouble and loss of home equity.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 08-12-2020 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living