Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 02:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
My old Hughes ping (AKA latency) was in the hundreds. Comcast at our condo in Houston (incredibly, fiber all the way to unit!) is around 8-12. NextLink, which we use at our ranch, is the new line-of-sight tower that just came online (and I signed up the first week) typically has a ping of 12-15. Which is VERY respectable for a wireless connection. Heck, it's respectable for ANY connection.

Our Comcast fiber speed is 800Mbps. Our Nextlink is 25-30, but that's all I pay for. And really, that's all most people need. They offer up to 100Mbps. And no data caps, at any level of service.
That's a stroke of luck on 2 counts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 02:47 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
That's a stroke of luck on 2 counts!
I know!

Old 07-31-2020, 04:52 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Thanks. We watch TV for a few hours each night, strictly streaming or watching "on demand". My husband watches on a very limited basis because he works away from home.
Cable has so many good old shows and movies to on-demand. Dish type TV doesn't have any collection to choose from. It sounds like one can only view a show/movie that is live time airing. We prefer these older shows and also watch Netflix, You Tube etc.
It sounds like it's "the luck of the draw" and "what's airing on TV tonight?", using Dish? We have favorite programs and limited watching time. Dish will be useless if we can't watch them.
I'll put effort towards replicating the streaming/on- demand ability we currently have through Comcast cable. I know this will require good internet and a streaming box of some kind.
You have Comcast cable? DO NOT GET SATELLITE INTERNET if you have any other choice. Trust me on this!

Old 07-31-2020, 05:13 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
You have Comcast cable? DO NOT GET SATELLITE INTERNET if you have any other choice. Trust me on this!
I think they are moving from wherever they have to Comcast, to the deep country. That's what all the questions are about.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:55 PM

313 posts, read 269,389 times
Thank you everyone for your help. You've been great and so personable. After spending today on the phone on hold, this may be the plan:
Viasat (yeah, I know....)
Verizon (EVERYTHING they can offer us)
Direct TV (no streaming, but at least it's tv)
Roku box (or any brand)
We'll try dual/overlapping internet if possible using Viasat and Verizon. One hardwired and the other as wifi? I don't know...
No landline. Voip thru Viasat. Move in time is in one year. Until then will sign no contracts as we wait for low earth orbit.
I'm taking that advice to stock up on Tums and load the liquor cabinet, at my current home, thanks.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Thank you everyone for your help. You've been great and so personable. After spending today on the phone on hold, this may be the plan:
Viasat (yeah, I know....)
Verizon (EVERYTHING they can offer us)
Direct TV (no streaming, but at least it's tv)
Roku box (or any brand)
We'll try dual/overlapping internet if possible using Viasat and Verizon. One hardwired and the other as wifi? I don't know...
No landline. Voip thru Viasat. Move in time is in one year. Until then will sign no contracts as we wait for low earth orbit.
I'm taking that advice to stock up on Tums and load the liquor cabinet, at my current home, thanks.
You may not have to duplicate your efforts on the internet portion. It would be prudent to see if any of the major carriers (ones who aren't a reseller by nature) have coverage in this new address.

There are some plans, referred to as "fixed wireless" which is basically a WiFi router that gets really good cell signal. One box. The data allowances are more generous than for mobile handsets, too.

$80 gets you 100 GB/mo of data. The only thing that may exceed this threshold is a constant Nest doorbell stream. To be sure, contact your CURRENT provider and see what you've used the past few months.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:10 PM

215 posts, read 190,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
See above ...

And don't trust the "prequalification" websites (learned this the hard way)

Pre-qualification (e.g. using the form on the Xfinity website) is no guarantee an address can actually get service; If Internet is really important to you, look for a listing that already has cable hooked up and active.
Good point.

Since the OP is a year out, maybe something like this will be available.....
https://futurism.com/half-world-inte...nternet-blimps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living