Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 04:47 PM

304 posts, read 151,168 times

Advertisements

I'm a great believer in small towns and cities being great places to live, but I do sometimes find myself upset over how politics and corruption rule. One place I lived the DPW was ruled like a dictatorship. You didn't dare cross the head of the department or your driveway would be plowed in six feet deep in a snow storm, your garbage would be liberally dumped all over your sidewalk, or your street would suddenly become one-way the most inconvenient direction. One time a rival woke up in the morning to find a rotting fish on his front porch. Everyone knew who did it, but nobody was ever caught. Another place I lived I knew a well connected "good ol' boy" who never set foot in the motor vehicle bureau. They would mail him his new driver's license and a fresh inspection sticker for his truck. Another classic is water connections. It is expensive and difficult to extend city water lines out to new developments, but lo and behold, when a major party donor happens to be building a new development suddenly the town is out there digging for weeks to extend the line while other developers have been waiting years for approval. The list goes on and on. Sadly, with the demise of local newspapers, I'm afraid the situation is getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 05:00 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
This is going to get spicy when the police departments are brought up.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:03 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
That's in large part reason why I will only live in major metro areas.

Small towns repulse me, to the point where I won't even stop for gas or food in them during a road trip. No amount of "historic charm" or natural beauty can change my mind.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:49 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Corruption happens both in small towns and large cities.

The corrupt politicians in the large cities make a LOT more money!!

Plus....the corruption is so bad in urban areas, that most people accept it as NORMAL behavior.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:44 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Small towns repulse me, to the point where I won't even stop for gas or food in them during a road trip. No amount of "historic charm" or natural beauty can change my mind.
What, you think there's no corruption in major metro areas? Bwahahaha! It's there, just better hidden and on a larger scale so that the taxpayers are fleeced to the point that they just cave and mostly accept it as normal. At least in small towns the offending persons are usually identified and either voted or thrown out of office. I lived for almost a decade in a small beachside town where the school board was always fighting with the town council. The mayor was locked out his office once as a political ploy (he was a really nice guy, btw). The comptroller was caught embezzling funds at one point and fired. Another mayor was arrested on sexual misconduct charges. Yet overall the town managed to function and even grow and "upscale" a bit, and it was a great little place to live. We were always happy when the summer people left after Labor Day and we could enjoy the stores and the beach without crowds. I bought my first two homes there and still miss the sense of community you would find, especially when a disaster struck like a hurricane or the school burning down.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:29 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
The absolute worst are the smaller towns and cities nearby larger populated metropolitan areas. They get all the corruption of a few people running the town and owning the real estate to rubber stamp all the dealings. The residents get all the tax increases due to population growth and everything under the sun the city leaders want to build.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:31 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
Quote:

And we are proud for ya—— yew jest keep yer little ole self in yer big ole safe’n sound (riiiight) metro area and hope you don’t ever need help from some kind Mom’nPop gas station or restaurant. That will keep us from dragging you into a back room with a secret trap door, never to be heard from again

I have words for the mentality of people like you but I’m not in the mood to be banned from CD today.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:15 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times
Quote:

I'm sure they are happy you pass on by, believe me!

Old 08-18-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
And we are proud for ya—— yew jest keep yer little ole self in yer big ole safe’n sound (riiiight) metro area and hope you don’t ever need help from some kind Mom’nPop gas station or restaurant. That will keep us from dragging you into a back room with a secret trap door, never to be heard from again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
I'm sure they are happy you pass on by, believe me!
Cool!

Old 08-18-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The absolute worst are the smaller towns and cities nearby larger populated metropolitan areas. They get all the corruption of a few people running the town and owning the real estate to rubber stamp all the dealings. The residents get all the tax increases due to population growth and everything under the sun the city leaders want to build.
Small towns turned rapidly-growing suburbs are the only places that I would consider, specifically because you have the benefits of increasing amenities, diversity, job opportunities and better home appreciation.

You still have the old guard trying to stop progress or maintain the status quo at first, but it's a losing battle for them and eventually growing influence of the nearby metro area wins out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living