Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 04:30 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Quote:
I have been reading about non-electric pellet stoves. I like that idea.
That certainly got my attention. I was curious to see which stoves you choose to select for your 'two' models.
. . .
Breckwells are nice, Clarrys are ugly, Rileys are kind of neat. The La Nordicas work well too.
In terms of zero-electricity-required and something you'd actually want sitting in your living room, there's not a lot of choice.

Quote:
Cutting, splitting and stacking firewood is always cheaper than buying a bag of pellets in a store twice a week.

Pellets require a factory to mill the wood pulp, blend with binders and make the pellets. Then you still need the plastic bags, etc.

I have known people who like the convenience of pouring a bag of pellets into a hopper, as compared to handling firewood. They say it keeps their homes cleaner.
I mostly buy ready-split hardwood, along with some compressed wood logs (supersized pellets) so I can keep a supply of "firewood" in the house without the bark dust and insects.

The superlogs/biobricks arrive as a full pallet load secured with paper, so somewhat less waste than bags of pellets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 06:36 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Cost wise pellet stoves are cheaper and safer than wood stoves.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:56 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Post Pellet stove might be cheaper when doing a new install, but OP already has a wood stove, and wood is a cheaper fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post

Cost of fuel? or cost for a new installation if, unlike OP, you don't already have a wood stove?

Old 09-20-2020, 07:27 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
A ton of pellets compared to a ton of firewood, I am pretty sure the firewood will be cheaper.

There is no such thing as a pellet stove with a retail cost lower than my woodstove.

Woodstoves are cheaper to buy and install, and the fuel is cheaper than a pellet stove.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I recently saw some pellet heaters.
They seemed nice.

We have a couple acres in the PNW with 2 houses.
Calling it 2 houses is a stretch because one of them is actually a large artist shop with a large loft bedroom.

So the places are about 1,600 with very tall ceilings.
The shop has electric wall heating.
The main house has electric wall heating, a wood burning stove and a propane fireplace insert with a blower.
I really am not a fan of electrical heating.
I just think it is not safe.

We are on propane but never use it.
There is no natural gas here.

I was thinking about switching out my propane fireplace insert with a pellet stove heater.
I like my wood burning stove but it has no blower and is a chore to start early in the morning when I am feeling lazy.

I was thinking about using my wood burning stove less and using the pellet fireplace because it seems easier and more efficient.

My father in law used to live close by and he had a heat pump.
I never thought it worked well so I don’t want to go there.

Have any of you used a pellet heater or been in a similar situation?

Thank you.
Andy.
i would never do a pellet heater. If the power goes out, no heat. Might as well have electric heaters. We’ve done well with cord wood and propane heating. Have you ever tried to make your own pellets? Have you ever cut your own firewood?

Old 09-20-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
i would never do a pellet heater. If the power goes out, no heat. Might as well have electric heaters. We’ve done well with cord wood and propane heating. Have you ever tried to make your own pellets? Have you ever cut your own firewood?
You do not need electricity for a pellet stove.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I like my wood burning stove but it has no blower and is a chore to start early in the morning when I am feeling lazy."

IMO....If you have to "start" your woodstove every morning, you may have the wrong stove, or wrong fuel for your situation. Any top rated free standing wood stove or fireplace insert should be capable of retaining a good bed of coals overnight, so all it takes is stoking with more wood in the morning.

Regards
Gemstone1
If you own a quality air tight wood stove and burn hardwood there is no restarting. I load up the stove before bed and next morning hot coals ignite fresh wood. Day after day.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
You do not need electricity for a pellet stove.
Except for the pellet feeder and the fan. This according to those I know who own pellet stove

https://www.harmanstoves.com/owner-r...it-loses-power

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...-pellet-stoves

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-20-2020 at 08:05 PM..

Old 09-20-2020, 07:47 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Any females in the house??

Old 09-20-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Except for the pellet feeder and the fan. This according to those I know who own pellet stove
Those are electric pellet stoves, yes, those electric stoves use electricity, because they are electric.

However if you review this thread there was already a list of non-electric models with links discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living