Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 10:42 PM

141 posts, read 83,841 times

Advertisements

If you already contacted your US Senator, and they ignored you, then contacting your US Rep in US House of Representatives would make sense. There is no order of escalation. Either they help or don't help. Did you know US Congress do not use stamps? They do not have to pay postage in official correspondence, like in a reply to you. Curious that the Senator ignored you. Usually they send some sort of reply. What their name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 10:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Sounds like your options are to get your road graded or get a PO box.

They don't have to deliver to the door if access is difficult or unsafe. Regardless of whether the carrier's decision to declare the road impassable was colored by an argument, if the road is objectively a mess, his decision is going to stand with anyone who has the power to override his decision. They don't want the trucks getting stuck or damaged.

Where I live the entire region doesn't have home mail delivery at all, even for those of us who live in easily accessible homes. Everyone has to go to the post office to pick up mail and packages.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:52 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslasucks View Post
If you already contacted your US Senator, and they ignored you, then contacting your US Rep in US House of Representatives would make sense. There is no order of escalation. Either they help or don't help. Did you know US Congress do not use stamps? They do not have to pay postage in official correspondence, like in a reply to you. Curious that the Senator ignored you. Usually they send some sort of reply. What their name?
Tim Kaine FWIW. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-09-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Sounds like your options are to get your road graded or get a PO box.

They don't have to deliver to the door if access is difficult or unsafe. Regardless of whether the carrier's decision to declare the road impassable was colored by an argument, if the road is objectively a mess, his decision is going to stand with anyone who has the power to override his decision. They don't want the trucks getting stuck or damaged.

Where I live the entire region doesn't have home mail delivery at all, even for those of us who live in easily accessible homes. Everyone has to go to the post office to pick up mail and packages.
Close, and I am sorry that you have don't get home delivery but misery does not want company here.

Besides their declaration of an unsafe road is not substantiated if they can still deliver to my neighbor even further up the road. Even if by accident, video evidence shows what their vehicles are capable of.

I cannot unilaterally have the road graded since there is no HOA. The roadside agreement actually states that we must all chip in equally regardless of the distance travelled. This will require mutual REAL agreement. It's hard to get 2 people to agree on anything in today's society nevermind 6.

Someone will have to sue someone and I am sure that there will be holdouts. I would be one of them I am sure. I am not going to let someone I don't know just come by and dump gravel for $500 with no receipt.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:00 AM

6,854 posts, read 4,853,645 times
They also won't deliver mail to boxes if a vehicle is parked in front of it. They will stop delivery to an entire block if someone is letting their dog run free.

I own my road. I have two families with easements and they had to sign contracts agreeing to pay for a portion of road costs. They are all nice people and there is never any issues. I am aware, however, that the wrong neighbors could be a pain.

I choose to have a PO box because my mailbox is a half mile from my house. It doesn't get damp, and it doesn't get stolen. Thieves will break into those neighborhood boxes. Seems like it would be easier to just get a job.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:11 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
If you can't fix the road, what about mailboxes at the end of the private road? I see that a lot where we are.

Is there a chance that you all could get sued if a delivery vehicle got damaged from one of the potholes? I'd want to avoid that.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:16 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
We just have a PO box because our USPS only goes down main streets to deliver. We can all put our mailboxes on the main road or have a PO Box.

Curious how you arranged with Prime to only use UPS or FedEx? I have a heck of time knowing the delivery method, I have a special note in my delivery instructions to us PO Box if using USPS, but most of the time those get sent back as undeliverable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
If you can't fix the road, what about mailboxes at the end of the private road? I see that a lot where we are.

Is there a chance that you all could get sued if a delivery vehicle got damaged from one of the potholes? I'd want to avoid that.
We do have mailboxes at the end of the road. The issue is with larger packages being brought to our homes.

I am hoping that we get sued actually. I am ready to defend. I have a prepaid legal plan for that. At least something would get done.

I forgot to mention that the folks at the end of the road are exclusively responsible for their portion of the road at the end and that they are exclusively responsible for almost the first .5 mile of the road per the road agreement.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:49 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We just have a PO box because our USPS only goes down main streets to deliver. We can all put our mailboxes on the main road or have a PO Box.

Curious how you arranged with Prime to only use UPS or FedEx? I have a heck of time knowing the delivery method, I have a special note in my delivery instructions to us PO Box if using USPS, but most of the time those get sent back as undeliverable.
Use your street address as the first line of your address, and p.o. box as the second line, and everybody knows what to do. I lived with that for ten years on the Big Island.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Sorry, I almost missed your post. The other posters post reminded me as to how I personally do this.

I called Amazon and they told me that they could do this. They said that they have a notation in my account where it clearly says to no longer use USPS.

It took an hour or so of wrangling with customer support and I also complained to the BBB just in case Amazon did not honor this.

I am still going back and forth with the BBB and now Amazon claims they never initiated this request.

I have been promised by about 5 different people at Amazon that they would be doing this for me citing that the last person never actually did it for me. The last person I spoke to actually said that the previous person was a liar and that they never really processed my request. Calling another agent a liar was pretty surprising language coming from Amazon customer service.

I can say that since then I have only been receiving packages from a van that has the word Amazon on it or the normal respectful driving UPS guy.

So this may work. I figure that Amazon might eventually cancel my Prime membership if I refuse to pick up the likely occasional package from USPS though or it will end up giving USPS a bad look for Amazon where Amazon will realize that it is better to avoid USPS altogether.

Last edited by va_lucky; 01-10-2021 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living