Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 07:09 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,669,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
" USPS refuses to deliver on my private road" ---- and they should NOT deliver on your private anything. Their obligation stops on the edge of the public right of way. Put up a box out there and enjoy the same service every other American is entitled to.
There is a mailbox out there as already mentioned in a previous post.

Why then do they deliver to my neighbor? That is great service indeed. I would love to have that same level of service. You are correct.

Last edited by va_lucky; 01-10-2021 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
" USPS refuses to deliver on my private road" ---- and they should NOT deliver on your private anything. Their obligation stops on the edge of the public right of way. Put up a box out there and enjoy the same service every other American is entitled to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I did not recall you saying that the rest of your neighbors were still not getting their packages, only that the one who confronted the postal carrier is getting his. But in reviewing your messages on this thread, I was reminded that one of your neighbors is also ignoring you. This is in addition to the postman, the Postmaster at your local office, and your State Senator.

All I know is what you tell me, and it's based on what you told me (told us all) that I reached the conclusion that I did.
Please re-read the first post which clearly mentioned that all neighbors except for one are being denied mail delivery.

My neighbor is ignoring me because he is happy that he is getting his mail. Talking to me about the matter isn't going to help him in any way. That is a fairly common disposition I would think. Every man for himself sort of thing. In fact, discussing what weight of grease he might have used could result in the road suddenly becoming impassible for him too.

Your methodology in reaching your conclusion is flawed.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
U.S. Postal Service vehicles look like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...USPS_Truck.jpg

Private vehicles delivering mail look like any other private vehicle, except that they'll have a sticker, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Delivery-Magn.../dp/B00NSV85PK
I figured such. I did not want to assume anything. These are government vehicles then.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:13 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post

Good one!
To be serious, though I would consider maybe getting a post office box so NO interactions with this driver are required. You can make efforts to get him to change his behavior but at the end of the day, if it doesn't work, it's your mail that's suffering.

Not sure if you have informed delivery or not, but if not, you don't know what you're getting if you don't receive it. Also, there are some "virtual office" services that give you an "address" to send mail to, and can ship it to you in a bundle weekly (via other carriers, of course!).

I don't want to make any assumptions as to your abilities or budget but these were the first things that came to mind.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
To be serious, though I would consider maybe getting a post office box so NO interactions with this driver are required. You can make efforts to get him to change his behavior but at the end of the day, if it doesn't work, it's your mail that's suffering.

Not sure if you have informed delivery or not, but if not, you don't know what you're getting if you don't receive it. Also, there are some "virtual office" services that give you an "address" to send mail to, and can ship it to you in a bundle weekly (via other carriers, of course!).

I don't want to make any assumptions as to your abilities or budget but these were the first things that came to mind.
Thank you. I have another residence about a mile away. I might just have the mail dropped off there. It is not off a private road. I can just turn it into a sudo mailbox I guess.

Might be a plan. I just have to worry about theft as it is not occupied. It isn't making me any money as it just sits. Might as well get some use out of it.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:43 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
I then complained to my State Senator who has always been able to fix issues with the USPS. Now it is crickets from the Senator.

Thanks
Have you complained about something else prior????

Old 01-10-2021, 08:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Thank you. I have another residence about a mile away. I might just have the mail dropped off there. It is not off a private road. I can just turn it into a sudo mailbox I guess.

Might be a plan. I just have to worry about theft as it is not occupied. It isn't making me any money as it just sits. Might as well get some use out of it.
Not sure what they can do to make sure the post office holds packages instead of returning to sender when you have a mailbox and physical address - I know that's protocol when you have a P. O. Box - but here's an idea.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:09 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
Quote:

Any ideas what to do here?

Yeah, money. Find the delivery person and grease the palm. You'll get your deliveries.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Yeah, money. Find the delivery person and grease the palm. You'll get your deliveries.
Lol! Probably!!

Old 01-11-2021, 07:21 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
I figured such. I did not want to assume anything. These are government vehicles then.
If it is this vehicle
The LLV then it is probably an excess city delivery vehicle turned over for rural delivery. On average one catches fire every four days somewhere in the nation. One feature the narrow front wheelbase in comparison to the rear makes it easy to get in and out of small spaces. However in snow and unimproved roads it is a dangerous underpowered beast.

But it does have the advantage of the driver being on the side of most mailboxes so that rural carrier doesn't drive on the wrong side of the road or reach over from the right to drive a standard vehicle as many do.

The newer but still discontinued vehicle the FFV has a balanced wheelbase, larger tires and more powerful engine thus is better for bad driving conditions. But I do know if decommissioned ones have been turned over to rural carriers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living