Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 03:25 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I'm in a similar area as you; mailbox on the paved road, bad road to the house.

Earlier this year, I made masks for my carrier and his kids, and for Christmas, gave him a thank you card, candy, and cash. He delivers boxes to the house, and will even pick up returns.

I've built a positive relationship with the carrier, you've created a toxic one.
No, remember, the neighbor was the one who complained. Instead of depriving just the neighbor of mail, he vindictively deprived the entire street. Also, after the encounter, USPS guy was seen delivering mail to the neighbor who stopped him and complained!

That's a special kind of special. Punishing the ones who didn't do anything and licking the boot of the one who got in your face?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 03:51 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
Default Grange law; rural delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Does the USPS have the obligation to deliver to your doorstep or to the address? or to the building.?
Rural "Grange" societies got mail delivery in rural areas going 150 years ago. There should be a "Grange" in that area. I'd contact them.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:53 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
Virginia? You have 18 wheelers doing "Highball Fool" down your GRAVEL road??? Where are they going?? I thought it was just WEST Virginia that had all the moonshine and......never mind.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:06 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
I see two lessons from your post.

First.... get together with the neighbors and put together a plan to keep up your road. I am president of our HOA, and we have half a mile of private road. We collect dues of $25 a month from everyone... and we grade and add rock twice a year or as often as needed within that budget. Keeping up the road protects your vehicles, and your home values.

Second..... If your postal carrier is working to get packages out to you and everyone else on their route and get home at a reasonable, don't yell at them or blame them for driving too fast down your bumpy road. Wave and thank them. It's not their fault your road is bumpy, don't literally shoot the messenger.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:15 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,669,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I see two lessons from your post.

First.... get together with the neighbors and put together a plan to keep up your road. I am president of our HOA, and we have half a mile of private road. We collect dues of $25 a month from everyone... and we grade and add rock twice a year or as often as needed within that budget. Keeping up the road protects your vehicles, and your home values.

Second..... If your postal carrier is working to get packages out to you and everyone else on their route and get home at a reasonable, don't yell at them or blame them for driving too fast down your bumpy road. Wave and thank them. It's not their fault your road is bumpy, don't literally shoot the messenger.
There is a roadside agreement already in place. That is a legally binding document filed with the Circuit Court in this County. When each neighbor knows better than the other neighbor and refuses to budge then litigation is the only answer. Your thinking (at least here) is sound *IF* everyone on the road is as amicable as your neighbors and there was an HOA which there is not.

Could you please articulate who yelled at the postal carrier and what medium you have to teach them said lesson? Your lesson is misdirected as I never said anything to the postal carrier. As already explained, my neighbor "yelled" at them.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Virginia? You have 18 wheelers doing "Highball Fool" down your GRAVEL road??? Where are they going?? I thought it was just WEST Virginia that had all the moonshine and......never mind.
I saw them again today. The SHINEEEE must be good.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Rural "Grange" societies got mail delivery in rural areas going 150 years ago. There should be a "Grange" in that area. I'd contact them.
Getting ready to!!

Old 01-11-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
No, remember, the neighbor was the one who complained. Instead of depriving just the neighbor of mail, he vindictively deprived the entire street. Also, after the encounter, USPS guy was seen delivering mail to the neighbor who stopped him and complained!

That's a special kind of special. Punishing the ones who didn't do anything and licking the boot of the one who got in your face?

Now I do lick the UPS driver's boots and the Amazon Van driver's boots. I am going to give them a tube of 90w grease for Christmas. Perhaps some other lube would be appropriate. I hope that is ok.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:33 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
There is a roadside agreement already in place. That is a legally binding document filed with the Circuit Court in this County. When each neighbor knows better than the other neighbor and refuses to budge then litigation is the only answer. Your thinking (at least here) is sound *IF* everyone on the road is as amicable as your neighbors and there was an HOA which there is not.

Could you please articulate who yelled at the postal carrier and what medium you have to teach them said lesson? Your lesson is misdirected as I never said anything to the postal carrier. As already explained, my neighbor "yelled" at them.

I'm not unclear on that. Doesn't matter who yelled. YOU said your neighbor yelled at him and that is now costing you mail delivery.

You and the neighbor apparently both think potholes on your road are caused by delivery drivers trying to bring deliveries down your crappy bumpy road (you said so here), and that's misplaced blame. They're caused by your lack of maintenance going back YEARS, apparently.

Get a bid and put together a reasonable ongoing proposal to the neighbors to keep the road up. Then apologize to the mail carrier and be a little more understanding of their busy schedule when they're trying to get down your road.

A little friendliness would go a long way.

My two cents.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm not unclear on that. YOU said your neighbor yelled at him and that is now costing you mail delivery.

You and the neighbor apparently both apparently think potholes on your road are caused by delivery drivers trying to bring deliveries down your crappy bumpy road (you said so here), and that's misplaced blame. They're caused by your lack of maintenance going back YEARS, apparently.

Get a bid and put together a reasonable ongoing proposal to keep the road up. Then apologize to the mail carrier and be a little more understanding of their busy schedule when they're trying to get down your road.

My two cents.
Apparently you are unclear on this or willfully elect to be.

It doesn't matter what I *think* but what I said which was NOTHING. Now we are talking thought crimes?

You come across as forgetting that the USPS carrier had a great time running the Baja with her USPS truck at the taxpayers expense until the altercation with the neighbor.

So road conditions have jack to do with it in reality.

Heck, even the neighbor was right to tell her to slow it down for safety reasons even though it is unfair that he now gets his deliveries.

I'll save my empathy for the non USPS driver who I told the story to today and said "....heck, we drive on roads that are far worse than this and shook her head". That is the kind of person who I will reserve my boot licking for as opposed to someone who unethically stated that she is going to "....stick it to all of us for the altercation with my neighbor".

Last edited by va_lucky; 01-11-2021 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living