Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 08:15 PM

14,469 posts, read 12,095,136 times

Advertisements

OK - it's your road. Your mail.

Do what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 06:41 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
Ddm2k posted a pic of a mailbox in post number 37.

I am not sure but I think it is the same one we have.
Ours is incased in a 2’x2’x4’ tall brick column.
We like it a lot because we can’t see the mail box from our house and it will even take smaller packages.

Our mail and small packages are secure.
It is the best mailbox we have ever had and gives us a sense of security.

The total cost for our mailbox including the concrete base and the nice brickwork was just over $500 and it was money well spent.

One tip on this box is to get a couple extra keys so you can keep a key in each of your cars so the mail is easier to get.
Doing a mail run for us normally takes a good 10 minutes or so.

Home Depot can not make these keys but the manufacturer will send you 2 extra for about $10.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:41 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
If you go after someone like that they aren't going to be cooperative.

The routes are assigned to one particular employee who does that route every day or as necessary. They are paid to deliver on time and long pot-holed driveways slow that down considerably for deliveries after yours. I don't doubt that these drivers are under big pressure especially now with Covid restrictions.
Maybe compromise by asking USPS to install locked mail boxes for residents in the area.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
If you go after someone like that they aren't going to be cooperative.

The routes are assigned to one particular employee who does that route every day or as necessary. They are paid to deliver on time and long pot-holed driveways slow that down considerably for deliveries after yours. I don't doubt that these drivers are under big pressure especially now with Covid restrictions.
Maybe compromise by asking USPS to install locked mail boxes for residents in the area.
They are paid to deliver their part in the contractual USPS service of visiting every address for which there is mail in their truck, every day. Employees in the LLV (white trucks bearing logo) are paid hourly and suffer no loss from a slow route. They receive overtime if they go over 8 hours.

Now, rural route carriers (in personal vehicles) are paid per diem to deliver mail. Being slower will in effect have them working more hours for the same money. It does no good to skip over addresses because the post office needs to know how long it's taking the drivers to hit every address on their route. If each driver is given roughly the same amount of mail, the guy in the planned communities with mailboxes all at the front of the subdivision will deliver faster than the rural route guy with 1000 ft between each mailbox.

It isn't really an option for the driver to regularly and on daily occurrence deprive residents of their mail because "it sucks taking that road". There are people lining up to take his job who wouldn't hesitate to go tearing down that dirt road at ... 39 MPH ... with a SMILE on their face!

Old 01-12-2021, 09:58 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
They are paid to deliver their part in the contractual USPS service of visiting every address for which there is mail in their truck, every day. Employees in the LLV (white trucks bearing logo) are paid hourly and suffer no loss from a slow route. They receive overtime if they go over 8 hours.

Now, rural route carriers (in personal vehicles) are paid per diem to deliver mail. Being slower will in effect have them working more hours for the same money. It does no good to skip over addresses because the post office needs to know how long it's taking the drivers to hit every address on their route. If each driver is given roughly the same amount of mail, the guy in the planned communities with mailboxes all at the front of the subdivision will deliver faster than the rural route guy with 1000 ft between each mailbox.

It isn't really an option for the driver to regularly and on daily occurrence deprive residents of their mail because "it sucks taking that road". There are people lining up to take his job who wouldn't hesitate to go tearing down that dirt road at ... 39 MPH ... with a SMILE on their face!
Mostly are city carriers. As city routes have been abolished and consolidated some of the excess LLV's have been turned over to rural carriers. Since they are safer than a rural carrier sitting in the right and reaching an arm and leg over to the left to manipulate the vehicles controls. As with most things in the postal service the senior rural carriers get first crack at them instead of using a POV. But in general you are correct.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:14 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
I am in rural Central Virginia.

This is not just a status qo refusal to deliver to my home.

I live off of a private gravel road. It has lots of potholes and it is in pretty bad shape. I have several neighbors and they all live off of this gravel road. There is no HOA and there is a roadside agreement where we must all chip in to fix it. However, no one wants to so it is a sit and wait situation.

However, the USPS had no problem driving 40 mph on it until the situation below started.

Anyways, these huge potholes are caused by 18 wheelers, UPS, Fedex, and the rat race of Amazon drivers coming through. All of these entities still somehow manage to get through without complaining.

Below is where it gets interesting...really interesting.

My neighbor told the USPS carrier to slow down as they were going like 40 miles per hour on the private road.

The carrier responded with "Ok I will fix you. Now you and all of your neighbors will be getting the 3849 sorry we missed you Orange slip and you can come pick up your large packages at the post office."

Sure enough that is how it has been ever since.

I complained to the Postmaster and he denied she ever said that and blamed the issue exclusively on the road citing that it was impassible even though he could somehow make it to my door to make that statement.

I then complained to the USPS and all I get are surveys back via email asking how they did with no recourse.
No one ever gets back to me.

I then complained to my State Senator who has always been able to fix issues with the USPS. Now it is crickets from the Senator.

So the other day, I happened to be outside and noticed the mail carrier on this "impassible road" delivering mail to the neighbor who they had the altercation with!!

Said neighbor lives further down the road than I do!

I video taped it all.

Any ideas what to do here?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Have you complained about something else prior????
You never answered this.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:07 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,983,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Mailmen in the white trucks get $25/hour they don't need tips, and shouldn't withhold service due to lack thereof. Nice to receive, but completely unreasonable to refuse to DO-YOUR-JOB that pays you a good salary for WV and lets you tear up a government vehicle and not your own.

I don't believe in extortion to receive a service to which I am legally entitled daily service by virtue of simply having an address.
I was a rural carrier for 2 years and never made anywhere near $25 per hour.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:48 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post

I live off of a private gravel road. It has lots of potholes and it is in pretty bad shape. I have several neighbors and they all live off of this gravel road. There is no HOA and there is a roadside agreement where we must all chip in to fix it. However, no one wants to so it is a sit and wait situation.
I think it is pretty terrible that your neighbors can't all come together to fix the gravel road. I do everything I can to make it easier for my mail carrier. I got a bigger mailbox so most of our small packages can fit in there. The mailbox area is the first to be cleaned off after a snow storm.

Respect goes both ways. I observed a substitute driver on our street last week--yes, she was going a bit fast. Not even sure she made an effort if a parked car was in the way. Most get out of their vehicle --but I get it if they don't. Parked cars, your messy roads with potholes--it is a sign of not respecting the people that deliver your mail. Correcting someone--your neighbor telling her to slow down what did you expect?

Old 01-13-2021, 01:49 AM

226 posts, read 158,173 times
I know of several people who go to the Post Office for their mail PO Boxes.
reason:

The Post Office will not travel their 1 mile dirt road to service their home mail box.

The Garbage Trucks won't go back either.

The road is in good shape.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:44 AM

7,911 posts, read 3,456,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think it is pretty terrible that your neighbors can't all come together to fix the gravel road. I do everything I can to make it easier for my mail carrier. I got a bigger mailbox so most of our small packages can fit in there. The mailbox area is the first to be cleaned off after a snow storm.

Respect goes both ways. I observed a substitute driver on our street last week--yes, she was going a bit fast. Not even sure she made an effort if a parked car was in the way. Most get out of their vehicle --but I get it if they don't. Parked cars, your messy roads with potholes--it is a sign of not respecting the people that deliver your mail. Correcting someone--your neighbor telling her to slow down what did you expect?
You're listing his neighbor confronting the mail carrier as one of the OP's personal transgressions. You're not the first in the thread to do this. I'm not understanding the reasoning here especially considering that the neighbor who actually did the confronting is still getting deliveries and lives further down the road than the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living