Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 12:23 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I was a rural carrier for 2 years and never made anywhere near $25 per hour.
Those were two separate statements:

1.) USPS employees make $25/hr and don't need tips
2. ) Rural route contractors are paid a per diem and don't get overtime if they take longer to deliver

I imagine rural route pay is much less, it would have to be, for that to be the more attractive option for the post office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 12:34 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
I have actually done the opposite with Prime. I have it set up with Amazon so that they only use UPS and Fedex to deliver to my home. The staff at Amazon promises until they turn blue that Amazon will deliver the next day but the package never comes and USPS just sticks a 3849 in my mailbox and another neighbor's asserting that we weren't there even if we were standing outside.

The problem is not so much the procedure of manipulating a scenario where they should in theory show up by using Prime. They are not afraid to NOT show up and don't seemingly care whether or not I notice USPS is delivering to another neighbor.,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We just have a PO box because our USPS only goes down main streets to deliver. We can all put our mailboxes on the main road or have a PO Box.

Curious how you arranged with Prime to only use UPS or FedEx? I have a heck of time knowing the delivery method, I have a special note in my delivery instructions to us PO Box if using USPS, but most of the time those get sent back as undeliverable.
Quote:
Sorry, I almost missed your post. The other posters post reminded me as to how I personally do this.

I called Amazon and they told me that they could do this. They said that they have a notation in my account where it clearly says to no longer use USPS.

It took an hour or so of wrangling with customer support and I also complained to the BBB just in case Amazon did not honor this.

I am still going back and forth with the BBB and now Amazon claims they never initiated this request.

I have been promised by about 5 different people at Amazon that they would be doing this for me citing that the last person never actually did it for me. The last person I spoke to actually said that the previous person was a liar and that they never really processed my request. Calling another agent a liar was pretty surprising language coming from Amazon customer service.

I can say that since then I have only been receiving packages from a van that has the word Amazon on it or the normal respectful driving UPS guy.

So this may work. I figure that Amazon might eventually cancel my Prime membership if I refuse to pick up the likely occasional package from USPS though or it will end up giving USPS a bad look for Amazon where Amazon will realize that it is better to avoid USPS altogether.

I am still wondering how one convinces Amazon not to use USPS. I also live in a rural area and my problem is the general unreliability of mail delivery. I'd guess they have less than a 50% rate of delivering the right mail or package to the right address on the day it's supposed to be delivered. I do not have similar issues with UPS or FedEx. I do shop on Amazon a lot because there aren't other shopping venues locally. They frequently use MailInnovations or SmartPost so that the shipment starts with UPS or FedEx and is then transferred to USPS for delivery which is not reliable. So how do I convince Amazon to use UPS or FedEx exclusively? Their CS people say it's out of their control.

[

Old 01-13-2021, 06:47 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Besides their declaration of an unsafe road is not substantiated if they can still deliver to my neighbor even further up the road. Even if by accident, video evidence shows what their vehicles are capable of.
Here's the thing: just because they CAN physically deliver to a place, doesn't mean they're REQUIRED to physically deliver to a place. You've acknowledged yourself that the road is objectively in bad shape. If they have the choice to go up your mess of a road, adding time to their drive and risking damage or getting stuck, or to skip it...they're not likely to make that extra optional effort unless they have a reason to. In a perfect world, everyone would be treated equally by workers like mail carriers. But in reality, if you're nice to someone they're more likely to go out of their way for you. Have you ever had even one pleasant interaction with the regular carrier? Maybe left a holiday card in the box? Anything?

Either way, at the end of the day, your bad road, and your dispute with your neighbors about the bad road, is not USPS's problem and it's not their job to make accommodations for it. If they choose to, it's a favor, not a right, and should be treated as such.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:00 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
No, remember, the neighbor was the one who complained. Instead of depriving just the neighbor of mail, he vindictively deprived the entire street. Also, after the encounter, USPS guy was seen delivering mail to the neighbor who stopped him and complained!
The OP didn't witness the actual encounter. We know what the OP says the neighbor said the USPS employee said. It's entirely possible - probable, I'd argue - that something has been lost or changed in this game of telephone.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Problem for OP.

OP--It is the fault of the residents of that road, that the post office will not deliver to your road.

The road is in such bad shape, the property owners do not want anyone to drive at a normal speed on the road, and tell the delivery person to go slow.

The residents do not want to spend money to get the road into safe driving condition.

The post office does not have to deliver on any road that is unsafe to drive normal speed on the road . The OP admits their road is that bad.

If you want mail delivery, then get the residents to pay to fix the road.

You have the option of putting a cluster of boxes, at the end of the road or street on the main road.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:55 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Problem for OP.

OP--It is the fault of the residents of that road, that the post office will not deliver to your road.

The road is in such bad shape, the property owners do not want anyone to drive at a normal speed on the road, and tell the delivery person to go slow.

The residents do not want to spend money to get the road into safe driving condition.

The post office does not have to deliver on any road that is unsafe to drive normal speed on the road . The OP admits their road is that bad.

You have the option of putting a cluster of boxes, at the end of the road or street on the main road.
Agreed.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:07 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Problem for OP.

Has nothing to do with being a private road? More important it is the condition of the road?

Old 01-16-2021, 08:10 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Has nothing to do with being a private road? More important it is the condition of the road?
The key here is this post is talking about a private road, that the OP and their neighbors are responsible for maintaining. If this were a publicly maintained road, the USPS would be leaning on the town township, county or state, whoever’s responsible to maintain it.

OP - you are barking up wrong tree contacting your state senator on any USPS issue. Contact your Congressman or U.S. Senator. You will get a response. Might not be to your liking, but your complaint will be investigated.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:44 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
And the investigation ends, when they are told the road is in such poor repair it is not a safe road to deliver on.

If the residents want mail delivery, FIX THE ROAD.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:54 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,401,207 times
Quote:
We do have mailboxes at the end of the road. The issue is with larger packages being brought to our homes.

I am hoping that we get sued actually. I am ready to defend. I have a prepaid legal plan for that. At least something would get done.

I forgot to mention that the folks at the end of the road are exclusively responsible for their portion of the road at the end and that they are exclusively responsible for almost the first .5 mile of the road per the road agreement.
Take some money out of your legal “defend my crappy road” fund and fix your road. You are beginning to sound like a cheapskate. Get your deadbeat neighbors to pay their share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living