Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 10:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Some people yearn for peace and quiet and safety, and a locale where the natural environment overshadows the built environment. They would prefer to wake up to birdsong and gorgeous sunrises rather than the crush of city commutes. Some folks may want to move to this region to be closer to family -- or perhaps further away from them. It's true that some people have a laundry list/rubric of what they want a place to provide for them -- yet others may be more interested in what they might be able to contribute. When the U.S. westward migration began, a lot of people stayed in Boston or Virginia, or Massachusetts, while others headed for new, unknown vistas and discovered something about their own lives.

You are still not telling us how will they find employment that will support them and their family.

Some people like the lack of pretension in a place like Branson. People already living in a rural setting know that even if you don't really like your neighbors, you know they'll show up if you need them. You know that if your animals get out, someone will let you know. If your outbuilding catches on fire and you're not around, the volunteer Fire Dept plus a few others will save your property.

And you can have the same in many other small prosperous towns.

Some people want a change, a new life direction -- and maybe they have more ideas and dreams than they have buckets of cash. Maybe they want their children to learn about the ag life, and enjoy the energy of 4-H and FFA and the County Fair and a week of Vacation Bible School in the summer. Maybe they like the thought of getting grass-fed beef or eggs from their neighbors.

In our town of 2,000 with median wages thousands of dollars above national median wages, we have all of this available right here. People can get things like that, without having to live in poverty.

Our Branson website states clearly that Branson isn't for everyone. If you're only reading this thread, and not the main CO forum it points to, it may be worth a visit. In my experience, no one really gets persuaded or talked into relocating to Branson. It's more likely that they've got an itch for something that just might be found out here where the plains meet the mesas.

I'm not dissing your questions because they carry some truth. However, there is a quality of life that exists here, plus room to grow. It may surprise you that Branson is home to a Princeton University graduate, as well as graduates of The George Washington University and Georgetown University in Washington, DC, who could live anywhere and yet here they are, drawn by family history or serendipity or the desire for something different.

And we have many educated people. One reason the area is prosperous. We sit at the base of the Rocky Mountains. We have a clear view of the top of the rocky mountains 96 miles away the air is so clean.

Two or three new contributing households could make a real difference to the future of this town...
When you look at the video tour of Branson Co, it shows a poverty ridden area, not one that is prosperous for people and especially families. A town with above 30% of the people living in poverty.

A town that is still losing population down to 78 people.

This says that even the locals have about given up on the town.

Lets imagine I am a 35 year old married man with 3 children. We want to live a middle class lifestyle, and both of us are educated. I am a Software Engineer, and my wife is an Executive Assistant. We want a nice modern 4 bedroom home about 2,000 sq. ft. Tell me how we can afford to move to Branson, Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 08:56 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
I applaud the OPs efforts to revitalize their town. There are several small towns like that in Montana. I just moved to one 2 years ago. I had to retire to do it so I had a pension for income.

There are no jobs here either unless you bring your own. I do see the new ability to work remotely as a benefit of small towns in the future, but there has to be supporting infrastructure like high speed internet and fiber optics in place.

Even then, it will be difficult to get young hipster types to leave the clubbing and trendy restaurants and actually provide for themselves.

Personally, I'd never move to Colorado simply because of Denver politics. But that said, it's sad to see once vibrant agricultural communities go to dust.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:55 AM

352 posts, read 797,810 times
Sorry, oldtrader, there are no 2,000 sq ft, 4 bedroom homes in Branson. Clearly you are needing something we cannot offer; undoubtedly the Colorado Front Range would be more suitable for your needs. Also, as my main post at the CO Forum states, the population is now closer to 55.

Thank you, MTSilvertip, for a modicum of understanding.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:04 PM

I am very aware of Colorado as I was an investment real estate broker from 1972 until I finally retired. I was involved in everything from rental units to commercial including building both, and other things like farms and ranches. I moved real estate in many parts of the state.

The official population is stated as being 74 in 2010 census and you say it is down to 55, which is a 25% decline. This says that even the locals are giving up on Branson Colorado.

When you are asked why would someone want to move to Branson, you do not even try to answer the question. You are asking people to move there, but cannot give a couple of good reasons it would be a good move for them to make.

If you want to attract new residents, you have to figure out the target market, and show them the advantages of moving to a town like Branson. When asked for this information, you cannot give the answers that are needed to attract new residents. Instead no one can see the advantages of moving there, and people keep moving out of the town and area.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
bovinedivine,

There was (is?) a town in OR that was for sale. The entire town. Very pretty forested area. You might check to find out what happened there, like did anybody buy it?

I think Lajitas, TX was or is a company-owned town. Not saying these are good things or bad, but maybe someone can figure out other ways for a town to exist besides the standard way.

Good luck. Without having been to Branson myself, I suspect that overgrazing or over-intensive farming did a number on the soil’s ability to keep sustaining life in a dry climate.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM

Thanks, pikabike, for the ideas and well wishes.

In other news, this job was just posted by the Branson School District. It doesn't seem to be on https://bransonschooldistrict.com yet, so I am presenting it here for anyone interested.

1/2 Time Teacher - 1/2 Time Principal Vacancy

Branson School District is located in Branson, Colorado, 50 miles east of Trinidad along the New Mexico border. The Job is a halftime Teacher - halftime K-12 Principal in a rural school in Branson, Colorado. The salary range is $55,000 to $60,000.

Reports to: Superintendent

Qualifications:

1. Masters Degree in Education

2. Principal License

3. Valid Colorado Certification

Nature and scope of the job: The principal is responsible for all aspects off the building, which include but are not limited to: instruction, curriculum, staff supervision and evaluation, staff development, student discipline, record-keeping, and public relations.

Benefits:

Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance

4-Day work week (Monday-Thursday)

Professional Development

School District Housing

Date of Employment: July 1, 2021

How to Apply: Please submit a letter of interest to Branson School Board, including a professional resume, transcripts, and 3 letters of recommendation

Email: bcaldwell@bransonschoolonline.com

US Mail: Branson School, PO Box 128, Branson CO 81027

Please Note: I am not officially affiliated with the School District, though I know everyone who is.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:11 PM

That is one job, for a very qualified person. But what about other people considering moving to Branson.

If you want to save the town, you need to figure out who would be a good prospect, and show them why they should move to town.

This is where you are falling down. You are not making it sound attractive to any one group of potential new residents.

You have been doing it your way for 10 years, and instead of gaining residents, it lost another 10% which proves you are going about it wrong. Your way is not working. Accept it.

For all practical purposes, Branson has already died, and is just waiting for the burial. If you want to save it, you have to change how you are going about it, or it will be too late.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:04 PM

Another example of the kind of can-do town Branson, Colorado, is:

https://coloradosun.com/2021/04/07/b...ootball-field/

Old 04-10-2021, 01:56 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Sorry, oldtrader, there are no 2,000 sq ft, 4 bedroom homes in Branson. Clearly you are needing something we cannot offer; undoubtedly the Colorado Front Range would be more suitable for your needs. Also, as my main post at the CO Forum states, the population is now closer to 55.

Thank you, MTSilvertip, for a modicum of understanding.
There aren’t ANY homes for sale in Branson or at least none listed. Closest are about 20 miles away. Maybe try and sell it as a place to settle for RVers or Tiny House folks since they’d bring their home with them.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-10-2021 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-10-2021, 03:01 PM

Branson properties are rarely listed. It's generally an under-the-radar thing. I am aware of 2 possibilities and could share some of that info to someone via DM if requested. Folks really would need to come out and visit if they had any inkling that Branson might be a fit for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living