Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 09:24 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Doesn’t surprise me re the FL response

We have second home there, moving permanently later this month...not because we love the state, it’s government, or many of the people...but our daughter lives ther and they won’t relocate back to TX

They run the gamut
Plenty of people are eco-oriented and anti development by huge builders because of environmental impact but plent more are just small-minded, anti anything that doesn’t fit the GOP playbook
Have both in our small subdivision
My issue is that the very conservative don’t see facts...
They will say liberals are the same or worse but that really is not accurate...
I admit there are things about liberals that I don’t always approve or agree with, but GOP followers will admit to nothing wrong about theirs...
I guess if you stay in Miami or Ft Lauderdale you'll be okay, but if you move to one of those "small-minded anti anything" parts of the state, you're gonna be miserable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 11:27 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She didn’t snub Tennessee she said she felt she wouldn’t fit in there. She wasn’t mentioning liberal for any reason except to want to fit in with like-minded people. She asked where she might find such a place in a rural area. She wasn’t insulting toward conservatives or conservative areas in any way, but many of the responses seemed to be insulting toward liberals and the poster herself.
I'm going to assume you are not really a clairvoyant.
She was going to move to Knoxville" but dont feel I would be welcome now due to being left of center, politically"
That is a wee more than she felt she wouldn't fit in there. Like she would be shunned or ran out of town. She mentioned left leaning (is that liberal or just leaning left? IDK. I consider myself right leaning but not necessarily a conservative) But then I'm going by the actual words written. While true Knoxville is still primarily republican, democratic voters are increasing, its like 60/40 and the mayor of Knoxville is a democrat.

IDK what to tell a person who identifies as left of center who strongly considered moving to Knoxville (which BTW is not rural farmland) and then decides its not liberal enough for them to be comfortable living there. So my response was, Whew!
Perhaps snub was a little strong of a word but the OP was definitely political.

The entire post, IMO, was typical of those from folks wanting to move from other area because they dont like XYZ where they live, but like XYZ where you live but they dont want your ABC and think you should change it to the ABC they had where they lived. In this situation the ABC is political leanings.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:05 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No. She did not insult anyone and was being pragmatic and respectful. She only said that SHE would not fit in - not that everyone should change to be like her.

For those of you commenting that she didn't return to the thread that she started - well, would YOU?

Hardly anyone attempted to give her advice. SMH...
Well she said more than she would not fit in. She said she doesn't feel she would be welcome I assume anywhere that was not left leaning (as Knoxville wasn't left leaning enough) or left of center and she doesn't want to worry about nonsense if she doesn't fit it due to being left of center. She also insinuated anywhere south of south New England would probably fit that category as she may have to "suck it up" and go north.

As far as hardly anyone attempting to give her advice:
1. Asheville North Carolina.
2. Canada is best for you.
2. …..What about Pennsylvania? Tons of great farming areas, closer to traditional New England, and it's a pretty Purple state.

4. I think you should go wherever the land and temperature meets your requirements. You will find left leaning people everywhere, there is no area that is 100% any leaning not even in the deep south.
5. Gosh, that's a puzzler. Perhaps you can check out land for sale near large rural hippie communes? The only one that I personally am acquainted with is https://www.twinoaks.org/about-twino...munity/welcome in Lousia VA. It's been there since the 60s.
6. Parts of Upstate NY would work. …
7. OP would be very welcomed in SW Wisconsin, NE Iowa and/or SE Minnesota…..
8. New England or the outskirts of University and College towns are your best bets. NH and much of ME are not all that progressive.

9. Try the Catskills. A friend's Dad was a dairy farmer and a communist. ….
10. Pittsboro NC
11. The Wayne-Homes county area where I live is a typical rural/Micropolitan area. There are liberals here, and liberal churches, including a Universalist church…..
12. Let me recommend the Northwest Territory and/or Yukon….
13. Eastern Colorado or various pockets in eastern Arkansas or south Texas.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The 19th amendment granting women the right to vote was ratified in 1920, 4 years AFTER she was elected, so no, there weren't more female voters than men in 1916.
Women in her state had the right to vote already!
THEY voted for her
Duh
Federal law was not needed

Old 05-07-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I guess if you stay in Miami or Ft Lauderdale you'll be okay, but if you move to one of those "small-minded anti anything" parts of the state, you're gonna be miserable
So wanting to start an argument
Miami has plenty of conservatives

Old 05-07-2021, 06:21 PM

50,778 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm going to assume you are not really a clairvoyant.
She was going to move to Knoxville" but dont feel I would be welcome now due to being left of center, politically"
That is a wee more than she felt she wouldn't fit in there. Like she would be shunned or ran out of town. She mentioned left leaning (is that liberal or just leaning left? IDK. I consider myself right leaning but not necessarily a conservative) But then I'm going by the actual words written. While true Knoxville is still primarily republican, democratic voters are increasing, its like 60/40 and the mayor of Knoxville is a democrat.

IDK what to tell a person who identifies as left of center who strongly considered moving to Knoxville (which BTW is not rural farmland) and then decides its not liberal enough for them to be comfortable living there. So my response was, Whew!
Perhaps snub was a little strong of a word but the OP was definitely political.

The entire post, IMO, was typical of those from folks wanting to move from other area because they dont like XYZ where they live, but like XYZ where you live but they dont want your ABC and think you should change it to the ABC they had where they lived. In this situation the ABC is political leanings.
You're reading a whole lot into her post. I don't know why you seem to feel defensive, but she was quite clear she just wants to feel she fits in. It isn't an insult to say she doesn't feel like she will fit in in a very conservative area if she is not conservative. I wouldn't move to Lakewood, NJ because it's a haven for Orthodox Jews. I have nothing against Orthodox Jews, but I know I wouldn't fit in there. Why would you read that as an insult?

I don't think she was political at all, except in describing her own bent, and wanting to be with like-minded people. I don't think her post sounded like she thought she'd be shunned, but most people want to be able to make friends when they move to a new area. The volatile political climate on both sides now makes that difficult more so than in the past, it does make a difference. But I still fail to see how that's insulting to anyone.

If I were a conservative Christian who is involved with the church, I would probably not fit in Soho, NYC as well as I would in a conservative area. I would want to move to an area where many of my neighbors would also attend church and I would have a good chance of having a lot on common with them. Nothing insulting at all about that IMO.

It's the opposite of your last line. You are right in that she wants to live in a place that reflects her values. So what, doesn't everyone? She is trying to find an area she will feel that way about precisely because she doesn't want to move to an area that doesn't reflect her values and try to change it after the fact. She specifically asked for advice finding a place that does reflect her values without her needing to try to change anything.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
So wanting to start an argument
Miami has plenty of conservatives
She was very diplomatic and nice in her post, what part of it do you see as argumentative? I think she wanted advice.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She was very diplomatic and nice in her post, what part of it do you see as argumentative? I think she wanted advice.
1. I wasn’t asking about where to move to be more around liberals
2. I was making a statement about alt-right residents in my FL neighborhood
Most of whom come from states other than FL and developed their points of view before moving there
3 You are maybe thinking I was referring to the OP
I was not

Old 05-07-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
1. I wasn’t asking about where to move to be more around liberals
2. I was making a statement about alt-right residents in my FL neighborhood
Most of whom come from states other than FL and developed their points of view before moving there
3 You are maybe thinking I was referring to the OP
I was not
Yes I did, sorry.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:56 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Maybe there were more women voters than men
LOL! In that era? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living