Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 12:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It's only really a bad thing I guess if they can be called "Good old Boys"... the last racial and gender slur that is still widely allowed.
What's the racial and gender slur in the term "Good old Boys?"

Boys? Referring to men? Is that a slur? What about the Proud Boys? The Backstreet Boys? The boys of summer? They are slurring themselves?

"Good old?" Where's the racial element in that statement?

In the real world, who is using the term "Good old Boys" more than rural folks themselves (who are overwhelmingly white)?

I've never heard anyone use "good old boys" as a racial or gender pejorative. Are you making this up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 12:42 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Boys? Referring to men? Is that a slur? What about the Proud Boys? The Backstreet Boys? The boys of summer? They are slurring themselves?

In the real world, who is using the term "Good old Boys" more than rural folks themselves (who are overwhelmingly white)?

I've never heard anyone use "good old boys" as a racial or gender pejorative. Are you making this up?
No I’m not making it up, nor do I have an unusual interpretation of what other people mean by it.

Read:

https://www.google.com/search?q=good+ol+boys+meaning

Old 05-14-2021, 02:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
ingrown 'local network' is most evident when dealing with properties, businesses (jobs), financing, zoning and planning.

Sometimes school and church leadership.

Don't upset their apple cart... they have lived there for generations and invested in their community to make it desireable (for them, and hopefully others).

Old 05-14-2021, 03:28 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
It's alive and well in my small town today...as it was in the small Ozarks town I lived close to in the 70's...some things are slow to evolve.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-14-2021, 04:08 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
In small towns it's very much a thing. In my Texas hometown, all the leadership positions were held by people who went to one of about 3 churches. So if you wanted to be mayor, city council, school board, whatever, you needed to either be a member of those particular churches and in good social standing with the group, or at least well networked with those group.

In recent years some women and even a handful of minorities broke through but were still networked. Still, it's mostly a pretty tight group of white men of a certain age and disposition.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:17 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
But of course. Though like everything else in life, nuthin's ever free. So what's the 'Cost'... and who 'pays'?
No cost to anyone who wanted to live there and knew how to get along with others. If you think nothing is free you don't know much about friendship, loyalty, kindness, good citizenship and all those other non-tangibles that are valuable beyond reckoning.

Mateo? That's an Hispanic name, isn't it? The town and county is full of Hispanic people now, many of them direct descendants of the people who used to come up from Texas years ago to assist in farming during the season.

It's been pleasing to see them become nurses, teachers, businessmen and to benefit from the hopes that their forefathers had. They knew how to read the promise of hard work in America, just like all the first and second generations of Scandinavians that inhabited that little town. They knew what it was like to be outsiders.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:41 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
No I’m not making it up, nor do I have an unusual interpretation of what other people mean by it.

Read:

https://www.google.com/search?q=good+ol+boys+meaning
I think people conflate Good Old Boys with Old Boy Network, but there are subtle differences to the meanings, as Old Boy Network is a more general social climber and the phrase could easily apply in Boston while "Good "Ol Boys" are usually referring to cronyism among usually rural, Southern (typically Caucasian) men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_boy_network

Old 05-15-2021, 06:00 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Yep, most folks are familiar with the concept, though unfortunately the ingenuous 'but whaddabouts' and 'changing the subject' have now become a popular means of distraction for some... whenever others start asking questions or the topic gets a little too close to 'home'.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:44 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
It's alive and well in the hinterlands of Vermont, that's for sure. You have the dichotomy of the 'city,' with its Wokesters, and then out in the sticks, men who clearly believe women to be inferior, who would only hire someone they know, or who is a relative, regardless of qualifications, and who think that you should 'trust them' (specifically contractors) because they are local.
Yeah.
No.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:20 AM

705 posts, read 505,773 times
Alive a well in North Dakota! Your not getting a job in local government with out being born into certain families. To hell with qualifications or job skills. “Equal opportunity employer” is just words on paper. Same with buying land or earning government contracts. Xenophobia is also alive and well up here in small towns. Just a fact of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living