Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 07:45 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times

Advertisements

Well here's a very interesting story about how one man who couldn't stand not getting his way in a town that didn't like his ideas dealt with it:

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/...granby/244748/

He was so frustrated that he couldn't succeed were he wanted to succeed that he destroyed himself. Sad, really.

They say you can't fight City Hall. Maybe they should say "You shouldn't try to fight City Hall."

The majority of complainers are people who want others to change to suit them and their needs. Even if they succeed legally all they cause is hate and discontent. Better they go somewhere where they can succeed and people like their ideas.

Otherwise to me it just looks like jealousy and blaming other people for your own failures. And in the case of the man above, finally total madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 08:52 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Yep. Can't win your lawsuit when the judge's golfing buddy is the opposing attorney. And they are brazen enough to start discussing another case before you leave the courtroom.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:34 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
It's alive and well in the hinterlands of Vermont, that's for sure. You have the dichotomy of the 'city,' with its Wokesters, and then out in the sticks, men who clearly believe women to be inferior, who would only hire someone they know, or who is a relative, regardless of qualifications, and who think that you should 'trust them' (specifically contractors) because they are local.
Yeah.
No.
Sounds just like our neck of the woods in CO. Especially the Just Trust Us propaganda. We did, and we won’t repeat that mistake. Dontcha just love the unprofessional, almost menacingly hostile attitude some of them get if you ask questions beyond the simplest stuff that they have pat answers for? Another transplant told me, “They feel threatened by OTHER people knowing stuff that they’re supposed to be experts on.” Yet some of the contractors told me braggingly, “I don’t read the instruction manuals.” Yup, and guess what: They effed up because of that! I prefer pros with the attitude that being a permanent student (of everything) is the way to make the best of your abilities. Nobody can know everything, but you don’t stop trying.

The GOB thing (was GOG in another area we lived) is a reality, whether rightwing or wayleft politically. We experienced it in both kinds of places. It’s equally unfair and detrimental to the overall, longterm economic and psychological health in either situation. However, we did have excellent construction work done in the wayleft area. The GOG control there was most evident in large public projects and in the tightly held RE ring. The big public projects all floundered and left the taxpayers holding a massive unpaid debt they still don’t know how to fix other than shifting the cost to the state or someone else. Several giftees of the GOG network should have been fired many years ago. So there it was more in the RE and banking realms that the GOG did their “magic.”

OP, the GOB ironhold exists IRL, all over.

If you don’t like the term “GOB” or “nepotism”, cronyism fits.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:23 PM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Just came across this reference in another thread. Basically, a business owner in the small town of Granby, Colorado was angry about a zoning decision by the town officials and decided to take drastic action. (This is the infamous "Killdozer" story, which was the subject of a documentary, Tread. I was surprised that I had never heard about it, but when this happened we were in the process of moving to Maine.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb1hQfo4nFY

P.S. I found this posted in comments under this YouTube video that is, I would think a good summary for those who prefer to read instead of watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia_OTa30GXo The person who commented and whose post is below (my italics) is Dylan Kimble, and this is his post:
QUOTE:

This man moved to that town, where he had no connections, and started an auto repair shop (specifically mufflers). The shop had one access road, which the concrete plant would cover. He went to the city and asked them to move it somewhat to prevent the road's destruction, which failed. He made a petition for people to sign to move it, which failed. Then he offered to build an entire new access road beside the plant, not affecting it, which he offered to build himself and bought all needed equipment for it. They said no to that too. Later, the plant cut access to his sewage lines, and then the town actually fined him for not being connected. So he made a list of all of the people who has worked against him. He took a bulldozer from the pile of road equipment and set to work, building an armored shell around it for a full year and a half.

It was a monstrosity. The composite concrete-steel armor was over a foot thick in some places, and there was no way in or out. To see out there was a camera surveillance system with 3 inches of bulletproof plastic around it and a pressure system to blow dust away from them. There were 3 guns mounted to it - A 50 cal anti-material rifle, a semi-auto marksman rifle, and a handheld machine gun. There was an AC system to keep the interior cool, and the entire setup was lowered on by crane, so there was no entrance from the outside.

Throughout the entire 3 hour rampage (in which he destroyed 13 buildings), he did not harm a single person, despite the 3 mounted weapons and general chaos. He only destroyed buildings related to the people who were against him - the concrete plant which broke his sewage lines, the house of the mayor who went against him for the roads, a newspaper station which turned people against letting him build the road, etc. He only meant to get back at the corrupt officials who wronged him.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:19 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
In small towns, especially southern towns, it’s a thing. I saw it when we lived in Texas, where local punk kids got into this and that. If you know Jr and his friends are hanging out doing drugs or probably vandalized your neighbors car and you call it in, you’ll get get blown off basically. The reason being the cop likely went to school and maybe played football with Jr’s dad or dated his mom and they’re going to look at anyone new to the area as an outsider or troublemaker. The cop isn’t about to run in his buddies kid. If you listen to enough neighbors gossip, you’ll have a good idea of how things work in small towns. Most people know exactly what’s going on, and who is responsible, but they have no reason to think the status quo will change.

Small town politics have their share of back slapping and wink, wink too. It’s a southern thang.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:55 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just came across this reference in another thread. Basically, a business owner in the small town of Granby, Colorado was angry about a zoning decision by the town officials and decided to take drastic action. (This is the infamous "Killdozer" story, which was the subject of a documentary, Tread. I was surprised that I had never heard about it, but when this happened we were in the process of moving to Maine.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb1hQfo4nFY

P.S. I found this posted in comments under this YouTube video that is, I would think a good summary for those who prefer to read instead of watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia_OTa30GXo The person who commented and whose post is below (my italics) is Dylan Kimble, and this is his post:
QUOTE:

This man moved to that town, where he had no connections, and started an auto repair shop (specifically mufflers). The shop had one access road, which the concrete plant would cover. He went to the city and asked them to move it somewhat to prevent the road's destruction, which failed. He made a petition for people to sign to move it, which failed. Then he offered to build an entire new access road beside the plant, not affecting it, which he offered to build himself and bought all needed equipment for it. They said no to that too. Later, the plant cut access to his sewage lines, and then the town actually fined him for not being connected. So he made a list of all of the people who has worked against him. He took a bulldozer from the pile of road equipment and set to work, building an armored shell around it for a full year and a half.

It was a monstrosity. The composite concrete-steel armor was over a foot thick in some places, and there was no way in or out. To see out there was a camera surveillance system with 3 inches of bulletproof plastic around it and a pressure system to blow dust away from them. There were 3 guns mounted to it - A 50 cal anti-material rifle, a semi-auto marksman rifle, and a handheld machine gun. There was an AC system to keep the interior cool, and the entire setup was lowered on by crane, so there was no entrance from the outside.

Throughout the entire 3 hour rampage (in which he destroyed 13 buildings), he did not harm a single person, despite the 3 mounted weapons and general chaos. He only destroyed buildings related to the people who were against him - the concrete plant which broke his sewage lines, the house of the mayor who went against him for the roads, a newspaper station which turned people against letting him build the road, etc. He only meant to get back at the corrupt officials who wronged him.

I watched this, I remember when it happened. I experienced this myself, "You are from away" and always will be....PERIOD. No matter how many friends you make and how ever long you lived there, you weren't born there.

I watched an interview of Laird Hamilton, a big wave surfer in Hawaii. He was born in California and said he walks around the islands as a tourist to respect the locals and fit in because he wasn't born there. It happens in big cities too its called the Elitist Club in Billionaires Row in NYC.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:46 PM

253 posts, read 259,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Or is it just a myth, spread by those folks in the Big City?
the days of the rural good ol’ boy network simply being a system used by the incompetent in an attempt to retain social position and power are, for the most part, past.[/indent]
NOOOO, definitely a real thing! That last sentence says it all. We thought we were making our last move about 8 yrs ago to an excellent location for the activities we do. We are extremely blessed to retire at an early age, but I actually had plans of opening at least two different businesses in this new very small town. We've always done everything ourselves which was the first huge issue. They don't like those kind of people in this small town, AT ALL and will go completely out of their way to cause you as much problems as possible. Had we came into town throwing hundred dollar bills around like wedding rice would have been a much different outcome. This place retired me for good and I wouldn't invest a nickel here. Originally wondered why it hadn't exploded with growth and definitely have a good idea now. Very proud people here...of what, I have never figured out! And no, we weren't trying to change anything. Lived in this state going on 28 yrs.
We will be selling hopefully soon. Such a great area but half the town people are horrible enough that we will be glad to leave. Still love the state but will be living much more remote without having to ever deal with town folk again.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:11 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Everything changes but human behavior!

Old 05-19-2021, 11:17 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Or is it just a myth, spread by those folks in the Big City?
Those Good Ol' Boys | Rural Lawyer
That the good ol’ boy network is alive and well in rural communities should be no surprise to anyone. Nor should it surprise anyone that breaking into that network is going to be hard for outsiders – an outsider being anyone whose family has lived in the community for at least 3 generations. And frankly, in most small towns there are multiple networks and most consist of dedicated competent people – the days of the rural good ol’ boy network simply being a system used by the incompetent in an attempt to retain social position and power are, for the most part, past.
Having lived in small towns most of my life I can assure you, it's real.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:01 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Not at all a myth. It's a sad reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living