Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 02:55 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
And with the purple ink? I have great childhood memories of the output of those machines from both school and church.
...and I hate to admit this, but...I LOVED THE SMELL of those. It meant a special occasion in class where the teacher would hand out special announcements, and I could get my hands purple and wouldn't get in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 03:15 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
...and I hate to admit this, but...I LOVED THE SMELL of those. It meant a special occasion in class where the teacher would hand out special announcements, and I could get my hands purple and wouldn't get in trouble.
Did you also sniff the magic markers and WiteOut too?

Old 09-24-2021, 03:27 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Teachers at my school called them rexographs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_duplicator

Old 09-24-2021, 05:44 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
OP, your posts are so odd (and frankly, contradictory).

You are worried about maybe having to spend money to send your kid to college ... and you are worried about protecting assets before marriage because some future woman might take you to the cleaners in a divorce ... but now somehow you are interested in helping stamp out rural poverty?

RFK would like that, I guess, but he was assassinated back in 1968.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:20 PM

1,319 posts, read 856,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, your posts are so odd (and frankly, contradictory).

You are worried about maybe having to spend money to send your kid to college ... and you are worried about protecting assets before marriage because some future woman might take you to the cleaners in a divorce ... but now somehow you are interested in helping stamp out rural poverty?

RFK would like that, I guess, but he was assassinated back in 1968.
what is so contradictory ? please explain

Old 09-24-2021, 06:21 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Subsistence farming is a life of poverty. That's what most of the world does now, and more of the US will be doing as we leave the industrial age, for at least the next few centuries, maybe forever. Without government assistance, living entirely by our own labor won't leave much margin for drug abuse. Stay healthy enough to work or die.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:28 PM

1,319 posts, read 856,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Subsistence farming is a life of poverty. That's what most of the world does now, and more of the US will be doing as we leave the industrial age, for at least the next few centuries, maybe forever. Without government assistance, living entirely by our own labor won't leave much margin for drug abuse. Stay healthy enough to work or die.
Depressing thought

see rural folks dont complain generally and do not ask for assistance easily that is the most admirable yet most frustrating part about helping them

Old 09-24-2021, 06:47 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
This is not a lifestyle of monetary wealth, you are correct.

I am glad that I chose this lifestyle.

Are there others who have more wealth? Absolutely.

They are completely dependent on the system remaining function as it is. If, just if the system should collapse [and I believe that it will collapse], then those of us who produce our own food, fuel, and weapons will be left standing.

Hundreds of empires have risen before us, they have all fallen.

Thousands of nations have risen in our history, where are they today? Most of them have fallen. Do you honestly expect that a nation not prophecied in the Bible should endure to the end times? That is arrogance.

Old 09-25-2021, 03:38 AM

808 posts, read 542,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Out of that fifteen, one individual has paid rent each month after he moved in. The other fourteen all quit their jobs within a week of getting out of prison and have not paid any rent ever again.

So do you think, after this experience, that you can interview a potential tenant, and suss out whether or not they will be a good tenant?

It seems like it would be possible, but I don't know. I'm just curious.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2021, 03:45 AM

808 posts, read 542,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Depressing thought

see rural folks dont complain generally and do not ask for assistance easily that is the most admirable yet most frustrating part about helping them
I suspect that is because they don't have the network that urban welfare people have, to tell them what story to tell.
People who are not sophisticated get screwed by a lot of agency people, whereas the people in the city know what kind of lies the various intake people want to hear.

I've talked to a few rural poor about getting help, like when a huge, very destructive windstorm came through. it was a lot of work, and a lot of money in gas and travel, only to find out they didn't fill out the forms right, or on time, and didn't get a dime, or got a loan that they could not afford to pay back.

It's a very bitter legacy that dies hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living