Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2021, 04:02 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking of Halloweens as I was growing up and. There was an older couple in our town of around 10,000 who opened their front door Halloween so you could walk in and see several long tables in a U shape filled with all kinds of goodies, both store bought and home made. She made popcorn balls, candy apples, fudge, and I can't remember what all. it was just like a buffet. You walked in, and took one of each without the telling you that. then you told them thank you, and left. They even had bags of popcorn for the adults walking with the kids. One year our church youth group put on a haunted house. There was an old house near the school that somebody at church knew the owner and he let us use it free of charge. We had Dracula in a coffin (borrowed from the local funeral home) witches stirring the "brew" water dyed red with dry ice in it. It was a haunted tour through the house. We charged a quarter a person for the two nights and cleared over $100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 11:22 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
The small town where we lived when oldest DD was little really went whole hog on the whole Halloween trick or treat experience. There was an awesome parade, followed by trick or treating, and homeowners really got into the "spirit" (pun intended) when giving out treats...with elaborate decorations, props and costumes. There were streets of old Victorian homes, which really set the atmosphere. One homeowner had an actual old authentic hearse parked out front, where he was lying down in the back. When kids walked by, the door would pop open and he'd hand them treats.

A Halloween I'll never forget was when oldest DD was four years old...she was a "bride" that year, complete with a little white lacy wedding gown, veil, and bouquet. We went to one house where the owner was dressed and made up as a hunchback. He went into the full act when he saw DD..."My bride! My bride! You've come at last!" She said to me, "Mommy! I can't marry him! He's UGLY!!!!" I explained that it was a costume and it was all pretend, but it really shook her up.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 10-31-2021 at 11:42 PM..

Old 11-01-2021, 08:18 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Didn't know my next door neighbor does a head count on Halloween of how many "ghosts and goblins" stop by. This year we had 451 trick or treaters. My first one came on the porch a little after 5 PM and the last bunch was around 7:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living