Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 08:48 AM

978 posts, read 673,521 times

Advertisements

My retired father moved to an hoa years back. Bunch of nazis! My wife and three kiddos came down for a visit. “Bring your bathing suits, the pool here is wonderful” great idea Dad I think.
We drive down , go to the pool with my parents, and are denied entrance!!!!!!
Told, “So sorry, only three guests allowed”?!?!?
Seriously????
So my parents took the kids to pool, and wifey and I hung out at their place.
HOA? Hellll noooooooo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 11:06 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
As I wrote earlier, you need to look at any HOA and covenant case by case. They do differ.

In my case, all the HOAs set too-large house size minimums and too-small garage maximums, coupled with small lots (I consider 3 or 4 acres small) that make big “primary” structures even more dominant relative to acreage. That set of restrictions is common and runs opposite to my needs.

In addition, any rule that disallows fencing around an entire parcel DQs the place from my consideration. I’m done with being prohibited from keeping out stray undesirables...no townie/city/burban life for me ever again.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:20 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Your house is suppose to be your castle. HOA will have restrictions and regulations.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:25 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,065 times
Let's face it, we live in a country that allows property owners the right to do as they please on their own ground--Or do they? You can't just build your own home out of whatever you choose, no, there are "code restrictions" which dictate materials, methods, etc. You can't live free on your land, you will pay taxes, you will need to live in accordance with all manner of rules and regs.

When I was looking for a house to buy in a small town I found a small development that has an HOA with very lax rules and restrictions, just the usual keep it clean, don't park on your lawn, don't allow your fence to be in disrepair, lawn mowed etc. we had two park like common areas that the HOA took care of and the dues were fifteen bucks a month.

The only friction we experienced came from a few who wanted to agree on the rules when they came to buy and then ignore the rules once they bought. Four years and no real problems, so that was my experience, I had great neighbors and a few not so great, but what I learned was that we will always have those who don't bother to read the rules and then complain of ignorance, the post above re: the swimming pool is a good example, five, six, eight, guests-- what's the difference???

Old 02-21-2022, 12:04 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Told, “So sorry, only three guests allowed”?!?!?
Should have read the rules before you bought. Geez, you now forced someone to enforce the rules that you agreed to and now you are bitchin about it. Go build your own pool and make your own rules or go to board meetings and lobby to change the rules.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:47 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,065,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Why settle for something where some idiot tells you what you can or can't do on your land, and charges you money to Lord it over you?

HOAs and Covenants are for the birds.
People don't join HOA's to tell them what to do. They agreed! They are in a HOA to tell numbnutz neighbors that have no consideration or decency to be good neighbors. See, you have it completely wrong. The HOA is protecting me from you!.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:02 PM

Just like the movie "Lakeview Terrace" in 2008 the LA area with Samuel L. Jackson? Neighbors from hell.

Or the rental nightmare "Pacific Heights" filmed in San Francisco. some time in 1990 with Michael Keaton as Carter Hayes

Old 02-22-2022, 09:23 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,575 times
Not only will my wife and I never live in a HOA controlled residence again, we will never live in a town again either. Having 10 acres out in the middle of nowhere describes freedoms that are difficult to describe. We have owned acreage controlled by HOAs before, and they basically made it impossible for us build the house we wanted on our own land. Initially, the HOA rules never sounded that restrictive, but when push came to shove, we ended up completely shackled by their rules. That happened three times, and every time we ended up selling the land before building. This time, we researched more deeply and found an area that nobody wants to live in, has no zoning restrictions, no neighbors, no rules and regulations. We still have to build to code- but what we build, and how we build is not governed. Every day wife and I thank my stars for our place...literally.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Not only will my wife and I never live in a HOA controlled residence again, we will never live in a town again either. Having 10 acres out in the middle of nowhere describes freedoms that are difficult to describe. We have owned acreage controlled by HOAs before, and they basically made it impossible for us build the house we wanted on our own land. Initially, the HOA rules never sounded that restrictive, but when push came to shove, we ended up completely shackled by their rules. That happened three times, and every time we ended up selling the land before building. This time, we researched more deeply and found an area that nobody wants to live in, has no zoning restrictions, no neighbors, no rules and regulations. We still have to build to code- but what we build, and how we build is not governed. Every day wife and I thank my stars for our place...literally.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:07 AM

188 posts, read 153,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
found an area that nobody wants to live in.
Sounds . . . delightful, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living