Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 05:02 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Ain’t it great that, here in the U.S. at least, we can live wherever we feel comfortable

There is no way this side of Hades and back that I would ever live in an HOA environment. Yeah some of the neighbor dogs occasionally escape home and may or may not end up staying with me until their humans get home.

Dogs don’t get shot on this road — we try to find their owners or call Animal control at the least.

Just think, there are city dwellers in small apartments who are perfectly content with their lifestyle and think you’re the crazy one for living in a place in suburbia where you’re told your mailbox must be a replica of your house
I’m sure HOA had its pros and cons but there’s no way I’d ever live in HOA if they gave me a free house!
I like having my travel trailer. And my quad. And working in the driveway on one of our cars (well, that’s my son in law’s dept lol). Our neighbors across the street have chickens, a horse, couple of dogs, and none of us have a problem with the chickens cook -a-doodle-doo day or night. Sure beats the sound of horns blowing and sirens. If we Want to do the firepit in the back yard, go for it. Every house has to be the same color and you can only have a certain type of blinds, not real curtains, shades or sheers? You can’t have an above ground pool or play equipment for the kids that exceed the height of the block wall but wait…. That block wall that faced the alley in the back yard has to be low enough for the Gestapo to be able to see what that yard looks like. What if someone wants to skinny dip or sunbathe with minimal or no coverage? Much less if you have a minor daughter back there sunbathing, someone peeking over that block wall will find himself in big trouble to say the least!
I’m good with living in the country and no HOA but for those who prefer, that’s their thing. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 02:44 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
I have never lived in an HOA residence that being a home or apartment. I have no idea what it is only that it is more $$$ down the drain.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:38 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,065 times
I lived in a rural area in a newly built neighborhood with twenty one homes, the HOA was necessary to the administration of common areas, fence maintenance, water runoff retention, private streets, and the fact that the town was an old farm town with ingrained habits common to farm life. Farmers by necessity can't have a place all tidied up and flowers planted everywhere, it's more like tractors and equip everywhere and a ton of what looks like a chaotic pile of machinery that is useful in their work.

Out in the rural areas this farm "look" was a common and delightful addition to the views of beautiful fields, creeks and the scattering of timber stands, but in town, the farm look wasn't such a welcoming sight. I just wanted to be out in the country in a small town that had the kind of slowed down life I was looking for in retirement. We had the usual squabbles between those who were thinking they could be exempt from the rules, but overall it was a good bunch of people who had all signed up for those rules and didn't mind that their restrictions were in the best interests of the homeowners as a group.

An HOA can be a great deterrent to the slobs who delight in making as big a mess of their home and stand defiantly against the grain as a kind of statement--"muh freedumbs, ya know." I saw cars flipped on their back in the front yards of homes in town, piles of trashy stuff, animals galore and too many vehicles to count at times. America has changed and not always for the better, small town life in the age of drugs, petty theft, wacko political types, and the ever present mentally ill among us, aren't the towns of my grandfather's time.

Cities and counties in the US will not create nor enforce any type of home appearance standards for fear of agitating the derelict citizens who, in the name of THEIR freedom, would gladly deny your expectation to live in decent surroundings. When someone attempts to make excuses for the slobs, when they offer the constitution as a kind of license to live like feral animals, I'm happy to say that I live among like minded individuals who don't want to be controlled, except by their own set of standards.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:07 AM

The HOA's that cost like $100+ doesn't interest me at all. It makes me wonder why some are reasonable and why some are so high cost running hundreds per month.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:13 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
We were just saying yesterday what a wicked ***** one of the people we are forced to know is.
It was then mentioned that this person was the head of a HOA.
Ha! It figures.

No thank you.
No kooky tyrants for me.

Property is property be it city or rural.
You don’t want crappy neighbors don’t buy into a crappy neighborhood.

If you want to live with rules and under an authority figure go on ahead but I don’t get it.
Is it that you want more than you are willing to spend?

Old 02-15-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We were just saying yesterday what a wicked ***** one of the people we are forced to know is.
It was then mentioned that this person was the head of a HOA.
Ha! It figures.

No thank you.
No kooky tyrants for me.

Property is property be it city or rural.
You don’t want crappy neighbors don’t buy into a crappy neighborhood.

If you want to live with rules and under an authority figure go on ahead but I don’t get it.
Is it that you want more than you are willing to spend?

Old 02-15-2022, 07:47 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
I live on acreage in the country. I can't see my neighbors from my house. I like that, although I know my neighbors and their places are all nice. Eventually I am going to sell my farm and move to the city. I don't particularly want an HOA, but it does help keep to he property values up. Also, I have friends living in various ones and they are not all the same. Some have a lot more rules than others. Some have higher dues but they have more common areas to maintain. One will let you paint your house any color as long as no one on that block complains. I would have issues if I wasn't allowed to let my grass go brown in the summer. I'm willing to keep it mowed and edged and tidy, but I don't want to be concerned about it being green enough. However, with continuing drought years, many are doing away with the green grass rule.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:54 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Exclamation HOA is the property equivalent of an uncurable STD

All it takes is a few activist Mrs. Kravitz types to turn a "good HOA" into "the HOA from hell", and once a property is in a HOA, it's all but impossible to remove the HOA from the deed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I live on acreage in the country. I can't see my neighbors from my house. I like that, although I know my neighbors and their places are all nice.
One will let you paint your house any color as long as no one on that block complains.
Oh, they'll "let me", eh?

I prefer my "rural acreage" where my neighbors can't see my house and don't have veto power over paint color.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:44 AM

2,340 posts, read 611,959 times
We lived in a HOA in Prescott Valley AZ - A neighbor "snuck" chickens in her backyard. I didn't care - I didn't like that we got a notice about parking too close to the end of the street. It's what it is.... We left and of course into another HOA but it was a newly built townhouse - I wasn't thrilled but no problems with HOA then. I now live in a small town in Texas - I had to pay $14 for my chickens, and had to get all neighbors within a certain feet away - to sign approval of having the chickens. One of my neighbors said she loves hearing the ****-a doodle - doo - from the Rooster. I don't want to live in an HOA in our forever home in retirement in a few years - but we might start in one that we bought as an investment property in the town we want to retire in. (or nearby).

Old 02-16-2022, 05:22 PM

You don't want to be a prisoner in your own home. Looks like some HOA's can make it like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living