Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 09:16 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmmcubed View Post
Sounds . . . delightful, I guess.
It actually is one of the most beautiful properties we have owned; in a tie for our mountain-side 8 acre place in Colorado. Unlike there, however, here there are no jobs. Since we have owned across the northern states, cold doesn't bother us at all. As a result, for us, it's perfect. Due to some bitter cold, no retirees want to come here, and due to lack of jobs, no young families either. As a result, it is very low cost of living area- perfect for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 04:48 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
It actually is one of the most beautiful properties we have owned; in a tie for our mountain-side 8 acre place in Colorado. Unlike there, however, here there are no jobs. Since we have owned across the northern states, cold doesn't bother us at all. As a result, for us, it's perfect. Due to some bitter cold, no retirees want to come here, and due to lack of jobs, no young families either. As a result, it is very low cost of living area- perfect for us.
Where is this at?

Old 02-23-2022, 06:29 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,066,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Where is this at?
Nowhere Land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiTwf45cH6M

Old 02-24-2022, 06:26 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,900 times
Haha! Now I have a theme song!
Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. I'm putting this on my desktop

Old 02-24-2022, 10:16 AM

730 posts, read 814,580 times
I can certainly understand the allure of living in an HOA community. It's not for me, but I get it.

I'm glad to live in a county where I can do whatever I want with my property with only three exceptions: no rendering plants, no recycling businesses, and no mining operations. Those three require special permission from the county. Otherwise, I can do as I please on my little 3 acre mini-farm, and my neighbors can do what they want on their property, too. It's refreshing. People around here would not take too kindly if the county dictated what they could or could not do on their own land.

The lack of zoning hasn't hurt the local real estate market, either, as there's been a whole bunch of very high end homes sold out in the county. Some are in "gentleman farm" type developments that do have HOA's, others are not.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:23 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,049,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
I can certainly understand the allure of living in an HOA community. It's not for me, but I get it.

I'm glad to live in a county where I can do whatever I want with my property with only three exceptions: no rendering plants, no recycling businesses, and no mining operations. Those three require special permission from the county. Otherwise, I can do as I please on my little 3 acre mini-farm, and my neighbors can do what they want on their property, too. It's refreshing. People around here would not take too kindly if the county dictated what they could or could not do on their own land.

The lack of zoning hasn't hurt the local real estate market, either, as there's been a whole bunch of very high end homes sold out in the county. Some are in "gentleman farm" type developments that do have HOA's, others are not.

No zoning where I live either. Zoning was voted down a couple of times in the past. The subdivision across the street where a farm used to be has a lot of building rules concerning home construction.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:31 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Ben Franklin aptly said that those who would surrender their freedom for a little temporary safety deserve neither. I rest my case.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
BF was an amazing man.
I think he was way too smart to be president.

I can see he saying F no.
That or “I wouldn’t be a member of any club that would have me as a member”.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:45 PM

290 posts, read 151,516 times
I'm one of those people who had always said "No way" to living under any HOA because of all the horror stories I'd read - Telling people they couldn't leave a garage door open, that they couldn't put plant pots in front of the house, what type of drapes they could hang in the windows, etc.

Almost 2 years ago my wife and I were forced to move, and after deciding upon the general area we ended up in a place which has an HOA (although they call it a POA here). I was very much against it at first, but my wife was so taken by the place that I made absolutely certain to obtain a copy of the restrictive covenants and read them front to back multiple times to make sure there was no way we could end up in one of those aforementioned situations. The covenants were drawn up over 50 years ago, which probably explains why they don't contain anything outrageous. You can't open up an auto repair shop on a residential lot, can't keep pigs or chickens, mustn't turn your property into a junkyard, etc. The most restrictive aspect from our point of view is the requirement to get any additions or changes to the exterior of the house or outbuildings approved by the designated Architectural Control Committee which is tasked with maintaining the woodland feel of the area and making sure that homes "blend in" with the setting. I felt I could live with that, as after having a fence erected and making any changes we might want to make on the outside approved by the ACC, that would be it. And now we've been here a while, in terms of general living I much prefer the peace and quiet we have compared to the nearby towns which are far too noisy and busy for me.

However, what I have noticed is the apparent attempted overreach by the ACC into things which are not within its powers. Apparently a few years ago the ACC decided that it would no longer approve white fences. Fair enough - Everybody who purchased a home here agreed to the restrictive covenants in place and that the ACC might change its policy on these things over time. But now the ACC is going after people who have existing white fences which had already been approved by that same ACC before they were erected, demanding that they be removed or painted a different color. There is nothing in the covenants which gives the ACC the power to demand that something previously approved be changed or removed. Right now there is a fight going on with an 80-year-old man who, quite correctly, is standing his ground.

It was this notice which sent me reading through the ACC's policy manual and finding several other instances of "policies" they have added in the last few years. For example, the ACC now demands that boats, motorhomes, trailers and similar vehicles have screening erected so that they can't be seen from the road, and if that can't be achieved then the unit must be removed from the lot. It then says that an RV or similar will be "allowed" to be parked at a home for a very limited period of time for loading and unloading. Having read the covenants from cover to cover multiple times, I can say with absolute certainty that the ACC has absolutely no say in what vehicles are parked on private lots, in what manner, or for how long, nor does it have the power to demand that they be screened from view. One of our neighbors has already received a letter from the ACC on this issue.

There are a few other things, but this post is probably already long enough. I'm not one to be intimidated by threats such as this, but how many residents will just go along with what they're told without putting up a fight? The more that groups like these get away with, the more they will push even further.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:47 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC-1966 View Post
I'm one of those people who had always said "No way" to living under any HOA because of all the horror stories I'd read - Telling people they couldn't leave a garage door open, that they couldn't put plant pots in front of the house, what type of drapes they could hang in the windows, etc.

Almost 2 years ago my wife and I were forced to move, and after deciding upon the general area we ended up in a place which has an HOA (although they call it a POA here). I was very much against it at first, but my wife was so taken by the place that I made absolutely certain to obtain a copy of the restrictive covenants and read them front to back multiple times to make sure there was no way we could end up in one of those aforementioned situations. The covenants were drawn up over 50 years ago, which probably explains why they don't contain anything outrageous. You can't open up an auto repair shop on a residential lot, can't keep pigs or chickens, mustn't turn your property into a junkyard, etc. The most restrictive aspect from our point of view is the requirement to get any additions or changes to the exterior of the house or outbuildings approved by the designated Architectural Control Committee which is tasked with maintaining the woodland feel of the area and making sure that homes "blend in" with the setting. I felt I could live with that, as after having a fence erected and making any changes we might want to make on the outside approved by the ACC, that would be it. And now we've been here a while, in terms of general living I much prefer the peace and quiet we have compared to the nearby towns which are far too noisy and busy for me.

However, what I have noticed is the apparent attempted overreach by the ACC into things which are not within its powers. Apparently a few years ago the ACC decided that it would no longer approve white fences. Fair enough - Everybody who purchased a home here agreed to the restrictive covenants in place and that the ACC might change its policy on these things over time. But now the ACC is going after people who have existing white fences which had already been approved by that same ACC before they were erected, demanding that they be removed or painted a different color. There is nothing in the covenants which gives the ACC the power to demand that something previously approved be changed or removed. Right now there is a fight going on with an 80-year-old man who, quite correctly, is standing his ground.

It was this notice which sent me reading through the ACC's policy manual and finding several other instances of "policies" they have added in the last few years. For example, the ACC now demands that boats, motorhomes, trailers and similar vehicles have screening erected so that they can't be seen from the road, and if that can't be achieved then the unit must be removed from the lot. It then says that an RV or similar will be "allowed" to be parked at a home for a very limited period of time for loading and unloading. Having read the covenants from cover to cover multiple times, I can say with absolute certainty that the ACC has absolutely no say in what vehicles are parked on private lots, in what manner, or for how long, nor does it have the power to demand that they be screened from view. One of our neighbors has already received a letter from the ACC on this issue.

There are a few other things, but this post is probably already long enough. I'm not one to be intimidated by threats such as this, but how many residents will just go along with what they're told without putting up a fight? The more that groups like these get away with, the more they will push even further.
Time to consult with an attorney?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living