Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 10:17 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,970 times

Advertisements

OP do you own the land where you want to post signs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 10:27 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Yes, it is my land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Put up the local sanctioned no trespassing type signs per your local county sheriff.

For fun, you could try putting some extra fear by adding signage stating "former military arsenal testing grounds beware un-exploded ordnance". The problem is most of the trespassers wouldn't understand it, and would likely be as stupid as the UK guy who 'apparently' thought the ordnance 'he found' was a suppository.
Or a number of years ago, the guy who went into a marked minefield to have a picnic. Hit a mine, they had to evac him out with a Blackhawk, and just as he got up to the whirling chopper, slipped and fell back in again......after that, it wasn't a rescue anymore. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...52B44B20090312

Old 01-18-2022, 06:46 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I am a little apprehensive about trail cams because even I don't go down in the preserve acreage. Apprehensive about placing them, apprehensive about replacing them if damages, stolen, or maintenance.

What about using drones?
Why are you apprehensive about going out in your own acreage? If you're worried about falling, take a friend with you or your cell phone or an alerting device. It's YOUR land. Geesh.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Why are you apprehensive about going out in your own acreage?
Rattlesnakes, copperheads, fire ants, feral hogs, wasps, black widows, scorpions, skunks, coyotes. I haven't seen the last one, coyotes, but I have seen silver and red foxes. I don't consider deer that hostile.....but running into a Doe with Fawns would not be a good thing.
Quote:
If you're worried about falling, take a friend with you or your cell phone or an alerting device. It's YOUR land. Geesh.
Well, there is the very big catch. Cell phone comms are, quite frankly, lousy on the ranch. I doubt very much I could get a distress call out.

My best bet would be..........to carry a .22 rifle with lots of loaded magazines and fire off 3 rounds, a minute apart. That and use my whistle to send off an SOS......lots of them in both cases.

A friend on expedition seems like a good notion....but not that easy to accomplish.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Rattlesnakes, copperheads, fire ants, feral hogs, wasps, black widows, scorpions, skunks, coyotes. I haven't seen the last one, coyotes, but I have seen silver and red foxes. I don't consider deer that hostile.....but running into a Doe with Fawns would not be a good thing.Well, there is the very big catch. Cell phone comms are, quite frankly, lousy on the ranch. I doubt very much I could get a distress call out.

My best bet would be..........to carry a .22 rifle with lots of loaded magazines and fire off 3 rounds, a minute apart. That and use my whistle to send off an SOS......lots of them in both cases.

A friend on expedition seems like a good notion....but not that easy to accomplish.
Heavy boots, snake chaps, and a gun. If you're worried about a fall, get a medical alert/fall alert device - they work anywhere in the U.S. They're not just for old people.

Heck, I've had black widows the size of marbles come out from under my mulch bags after they've been on the ground for a good while. I'm 72 but I stepped on and killed them just wearing Skechers.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:32 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Rattlesnakes, copperheads, fire ants, feral hogs, wasps, black widows, scorpions, skunks, coyotes. I haven't seen the last one, coyotes, but I have seen silver and red foxes. I don't consider deer that hostile.....but running into a Doe with Fawns would not be a good thing.Well, there is the very big catch. Cell phone comms are, quite frankly, lousy on the ranch. I doubt very much I could get a distress call out.

If the wild animals are that abundant and dangerous, trespass risk is not high. Skunks and coyotes are not menaces.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If the wild animals are that abundant and dangerous, trespass risk is not high. Skunks and coyotes are not menaces.
TBH, I was thinking that as well.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
As far as skunks go, comme ce, comme ca. Will it kill you or put you in so much pain? No, probably not. Will it make you so mad to take revenge on a human (for a mistake that could have been avoided if one would take responsibility for their own actions)? We-ll..........

Coyotes? I don't know except not to have one's pets outside.

In any event, we are talking about non country people who may do foolish things out in the country, not believing what they are engaging in. I will admit that I am no expert, even a babe in the woods on many things, but I at least know that skunks aren't "Flower".......live and let live.

Old 01-18-2022, 12:18 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Exclamation Warning: skunks

Quote:
A "Warning: skunks" sign would probably keep people out better than a UXO sign.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:32 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:

Perhaps you'd be better off in a condominium in the city if your so afraid of your own property. And honestly you should make sure a neighbor doesn't have tree stands and is hunting out there.

Nothing you mentioned precludes regular folks from venturing forth into the woods. All of the risks combined don't even approach the risk you take driving to the grocery store.

Wasps are the most dangerous thing and there just as common around the house as they are the woods. They kill 10 times as many people in a year as snakes, and your chance of dying from one is 1 in 5 million.

Skunks? I've known a LOT of dogs that have gotten sprayed, but never a person, unless they were trapping them. Fire Ants? Irritating, but washed off in a shower and a benadryl will alleviate any symptoms.

Coyotes and Foxes? Dangerous to small animals, not people.

Last edited by JONOV; 01-18-2022 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living