Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 07:19 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some of these critters are worth some degree of worry but there are ways to avoid risks they pose. The only critter I'd be really afraid of are feral hogs.

Your fear of all these things is based on ignorance. Knowledge is power.
As is yours. In almost 200 years, there have been 100 documented pig attacks. One, every other year. In all that time, 5 were fatal. That's one every 40 years. 3 of those 5 fatal attacks were pigs that were wounded by hunters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 08:38 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
As is yours. In almost 200 years, there have been 100 documented pig attacks. One, every other year. In all that time, 5 were fatal. That's one every 40 years. 3 of those 5 fatal attacks were pigs that were wounded by hunters.
But that's why Parnassia said there are ways to avoid the risks they pose. The OP has guns and knows how to use them. She also hasn't indicated how many feral pigs are on her 10 acres (I believe). If there are real herds, she should be able to get assistance in managing them. Letting them roam loose and multiply in the interests of maintaining a "sanctuary" isn't really useful if she's afraid of going out on her own property. They're not cute and cuddly animals like the stuffed ones she collects.

Old 01-19-2022, 08:51 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Put up the local sanctioned no trespassing type signs per your local county sheriff.

For fun, you could try putting some extra fear by adding signage stating "former military arsenal testing grounds beware un-exploded ordnance". The problem is most of the trespassers wouldn't understand it, and would likely be as stupid as the UK guy who 'apparently' thought the ordnance 'he found' was a suppository.
That would actually attract idiots. My step-brother was killed when he and his friends were "recycling" brass from spent artillery shells they friends had stolen while trespassing on a nearby artillery range. The remnants of explosive (TNT) contained in the spent shells caught fire and the whole garage went up in flames. People are stupid, and any extraneous details/verbiage beyond 'POSTED-NO TRESPASSING, NO HUNTING" will only lure them in.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:31 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
But that's why Parnassia said there are ways to avoid the risks they pose. The OP has guns and knows how to use them. She also hasn't indicated how many feral pigs are on her 10 acres (I believe). If there are real herds, she should be able to get assistance in managing them. Letting them roam loose and multiply in the interests of maintaining a "sanctuary" isn't really useful if she's afraid of going out on her own property. They're not cute and cuddly animals like the stuffed ones she collects.
They're destructive and invasive but if its only 10 acres its unlikely they're doing anything other than passing through. And they are afraid of people. Around me the USDA traps them heavily in most areas.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:50 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They're destructive and invasive but if its only 10 acres its unlikely they're doing anything other than passing through. And they are afraid of people. Around me the USDA traps them heavily in most areas.
Well, passing through and using their snouts to uproot plants......seen evidence of that.

I have seen them, youngins, the "three little piggies", around. Crossing from my ranch to the next at the low water crossing, further up the road running infront of my car before dawn, teasing a dog on the other side of a fence, and then, 2 years or so ago, a dead HUGE one on the side of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'M AN AGGIE!....................not a razorback!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
........If you don't feel capable of posting it yourself, hire someone to do the initial installations and have them map/document it well for you. Put together a field kit with supplies you're most likely to need and always take it with you. Learn to use an ATV if you don't feel safe walking, go out, and get to know your own land. Start off close to home. As you get familiar with one surrounding area expand your known circle outward. Better the devil you know than the one you don't.

There may be a few logical access points or existing trails a trail cam might be useful to monitor but if the terrain is as rough as you claim, not many. People tend to stick to known easier routes. They don't want to become victims or be forced into rescue by an irate landowner.

As for drones, sure they have their uses but they can be shot down very easily by anyone who doesn't want their activity monitored. .......
Well, if they are going to shoot down drones then what possibly makes someone think that they won't take out trail cams? That's a chief concern of mine of putting something down there for someone to vandalize, something that becomes so expensive to maintain that it is useless. It's like the access gate my apartment complex had once. They couldn't keep it operational because people were constantly taking a flame thrower to it so they eventually just removed the gate.

We talk about signs with too much information attracting people and I am afraid trail cams are like that. If they people know they are out there, they will take great joy in "BUZZ OFF, TAMARA! YOU CAN'T STOP US!".

At least the drone is a moving target and like an SR-71 vs a spy satellite, one doesn't know when it will overfly........just not as fast.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-19-2022 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-19-2022, 09:58 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I think I've told you before that it would be to your benefit to allow hog hunting.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...w7000_0195.pdf

Old 01-19-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think I've told you before that it would be to your benefit to allow hog hunting.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...w7000_0195.pdf

Probably true enough but right now.....heck, it is near impossible to met others for sex, let alone as having others come hunt for you.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:13 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Probably true enough but right now.....heck, it is near impossible to met others for sex, let alone as having others come hunt for you.
Didn't you have guys asking to hunt your land awhile back, which you refused? They would be the first go to. You might even get lucky with one of them, you know, multi-tasking.

People around here do that, allow hunting for just certain game. The goose blind I have has a property owner like that-I can goose hunt but not deer, another set of guys do that.

Having said that, the allowed deer hunters aren't real successful and the farmer who leases the fields has been complaining about crop damage from deer for a couple years.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:18 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
That would actually attract idiots. My step-brother was killed when he and his friends were "recycling" brass from spent artillery shells they friends had stolen while trespassing on a nearby artillery range. The remnants of explosive (TNT) contained in the spent shells caught fire and the whole garage went up in flames. People are stupid, and any extraneous details/verbiage beyond 'POSTED-NO TRESPASSING, NO HUNTING" will only lure them in.

This is especially so when the local culture has long encouraged an attitude of oppositional defiance. Some of them are just itching to start a fight, too.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Didn't you have guys asking to hunt your land awhile back, which you refused? They would be the first go to. You might even get lucky with one of them, you know, multi-tasking.

People around here do that, allow hunting for just certain game. The goose blind I have has a property owner like that-I can goose hunt but not deer, another set of guys do that.

Having said that, the allowed deer hunters aren't real successful and the farmer who leases the fields has been complaining about crop damage from deer for a couple years.
I don't think so but if I did say that, can you refer me to that to jog my memory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living