Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 08:04 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
When we first moved to our farm in New England there was so much woody debris in the neglected pastures we decided that a big bonfire of it would be a good idea. It was February, lots of snow, we didn't know about the designated burn days etc that the town had, but it was almost certainly okay anyway.

It was a huge amount of work dragging dead branches through the snow, and then trying to heave them on to a giant fire that singed your eyebrows off if the wind changed while you were struggling with the darn branch. Generally unpleasant, and then the next summer it transpired that the horses loved those burn sites and would make special trips to roll there and get filthy with soot and ash.

Was the last time we did that. Now we pile brush on to the loader of the tractor and haul into the woods, where there's a hill of brush that we just leave there to be animal habitat as it slowly breaks down. Works a lot better for us, for the air, saves labor and is ecological.
My chickens would love my fire pit when I had them. Ash is a key ingredient in soap, I wonder if they help keep down bugs on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 09:19 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
The drought/heatwave we went through last summer was hard on our trees and bushes.
Most of our property is forest.
We burn the fallen branches and stuff like that.
I’m actually going to try to burn today in the rain.
We have company coming Sunday and the pile is getting larger.

Our house area isn’t all that large so we use a tumbler composter for the lawns, kitchen debris and stuff like that.
Sometimes I dump a bunch of tall cut weeds into the coop and the chickens just love it.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:38 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
The drought/heatwave we went through last summer was hard on our trees and bushes.
Most of our property is forest.
We burn the fallen branches and stuff like that.
I’m actually going to try to burn today in the rain.
We have company coming Sunday and the pile is getting larger.

Our house area isn’t all that large so we use a tumbler composter for the lawns, kitchen debris and stuff like that.
Sometimes I dump a bunch of tall cut weeds into the coop and the chickens just love it.
You might get a mulcher/woodchipper and send it into the chicken run/coop. It will decompose in there, and be a good environment for the chickens to scratch/dig in, and find bugs.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:45 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
I used two have two compost piles next to each other for leaves and yard waste/vegetable waste. However, my old silver maples dropped so many leaves that I burned them in the VDOT ditch each fall. It cleared the ditch of weeds and reduced the leaves to ash that I then added to the compost pile as well. As long as we weren't having fire warnings the county didn't care. I just kept the hose charged and ready and a heavy metal rake at hand to rake the leaves into the flames. Honestly, I enjoyed the immediate clean-up it provided. I wish I could have burned my line of zebra plants, but they would have melted the street asphalt and probably set my clapboard garage on fire as well.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:05 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
Not everything is easy to compost.
Attached Thumbnails
Burns-0b154046-f7e4-4b2f-996b-b0b6cbd3d142.jpeg  

Old 02-03-2022, 06:37 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
My hubby likes to burn his stick piles, we always have a few of them around the property, waiting for the right time to burn them.

I just tell him to make sure there's no bunnies living in there when he goes to light it. He says he does.
Attached Thumbnails
Burns-2019-10-09-dsc_0466.jpg  

Old 02-03-2022, 06:56 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,740,815 times
Many years ago I learned the hard way to NEVER use gasoline to start a burn pile. Relax, no injuries.

My father in law and I were clearing brambels, branches and dead leaves from a windfall and I had poured what I thought was a small quantity of gasoline over the pile. FIL hands me a small box of matches and says "Light 'er up."

What I had failed to take into account was the pile of leaves on top and gasoline has flammable vapors. Leaves on top of pile trap vapors. (See where this is going ?) So I strike a match, extend my longer than average arm and drop said lit match into previously mentioned brush pile, and then there was a very, very LOUD KABOOM!! and next thing you know smoldering leaves are raining down on us and FIL is standing there with the silliest grin I'd ever seen him do, laughing his a$$ off. Then the women come running out of the house screaming as if the world just ended "All the windows shook! Is everyone alright ?" and "What the %@&& did you do? "That sounded like a BOMB!" FIL & I are laughing like two kids who just found a pack of firecrackers. FIL says to me "That's a good one! That was fun !" I look around checking to see if I had started a brush fire and everything was out. I grabbed the garden hose and sprayed the area just to be on the safe side. That day was talked about for the next couple of years. ...and yes, it was fun.

A couple of weeks later there was a gentleman in the local news who had poured gasoline on a burning brush pile and the flames traveled up to his gas can. He survived but let's just say his lesson was more painfully learned.

That's when I learned NEVER use gasoline to light off a brush pile. If you need to use a liquid firestarter, use diesel. It's not EXPLOSIVE like gasoline.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:02 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
My hubby likes to burn his stick piles, we always have a few of them around the property, waiting for the right time to burn them.

I just tell him to make sure there's no bunnies living in there when he goes to light it. He says he does.
Or you could do this with your branches, logs:
https://rurallivingtoday.com/gardens...tur-gardening/

Just search for images using hugelkultur

You don’t even need to plant it if you don’t want - let it rest for a while or plant perennial flowers, berries, etc

Old 02-03-2022, 07:11 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Or you could do this with your branches, logs:
https://rurallivingtoday.com/gardens...tur-gardening/

Just search for images using hugelkultur

We have 19 acres, probably 12 of it wooded. We often have entire trees we need to do something with. We're not going to do 20 new garden boxes a year. We're not that big into gardening.

Letting debris sit for a year where they are good habitat and cover for little critters, and then burning them, is not a bad way to handle it, IMHO. We only have so much energy to give to cleaning up storm damage.

Old 02-04-2022, 07:05 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
When we first moved to our farm in New England there was so much woody debris in the neglected pastures we decided that a big bonfire of it would be a good idea. It was February, lots of snow, we didn't know about the designated burn days etc that the town had, but it was almost certainly okay anyway.

It was a huge amount of work dragging dead branches through the snow, and then trying to heave them on to a giant fire that singed your eyebrows off if the wind changed while you were struggling with the darn branch. Generally unpleasant, and then the next summer it transpired that the horses loved those burn sites and would make special trips to roll there and get filthy with soot and ash.

Was the last time we did that. Now we pile brush on to the loader of the tractor and haul into the woods, where there's a hill of brush that we just leave there to be animal habitat as it slowly breaks down. Works a lot better for us, for the air, saves labor and is ecological.
This is what we do too. Used to burn brush but now we pile it in an unused part of our woods where it can degrade. Other stuff goes into compost, leaves get blown into the surrounding woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living