Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2022, 04:06 AM

20 posts, read 25,746 times

Advertisements

Picture this:

What is the risk if you live *literally* next door (or surrounded on all sides of your property by) large, corporate farm owned fields? Will those mists make their way onto ands into your and your children's skin and lungs? Is it like an Erin Brokovich deal again an' again? Lil ol' *you*...versus Monsanto? lol.

I really do wonder though...

Also, I did a search and saw no results for this, please excuse me if I'm in error there/here!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 04:08 AM

20 posts, read 25,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrorDetected View Post
Picture this:
https://ibb.co/kHfTskL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrorDetected
Also, I did a search and saw no results for this, please excuse me if I'm in error there/here!
https://ibb.co/BCz3CN0

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2022, 10:24 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
It all depends.

In general...
Farming is not corporate owned to any extent, to my knowledge. In part, that may be because of low profitability of that aspect of production, part may be liability concerns, and part may be related to taxes and incentives. Yes, there are farmers that own or lease a LOT of land. That is capitalism at work.

Profitability is the Damoclean sword that can drive farmers to bankruptcy. When you have a thousand acres, you don't use ANY costly chemical indiscriminately. The actual amount of Roundup used per acre is less than many suburban homeowners use on their tiny lawns - seriously, not a joke.

There are chemicals that are used that one might not expect. IIRC, ethane is used to kill cotton plants before harvest. I've no idea how that affects people. The nicotine based pesticides seem to be an issue for pollinators. Pesticides are highly regulated anyway. There are other chemicals that I would use without hesitation. Lime makes up a lot of the soil around here. Ammonium nitrate and the other nitrates are mostly concentrates of what occur in nature. An average lightning bolt creates plenty of nitrates.

Being around a GOOD farmer would be no issue for me. Being around a bad one... I once lived next to a field where waste whey was spread on a field without turning the soil to incorporate it. Whey is a decent soil amendment when applied properly, but all this application did was generate enough house and horse flies to qualify for one of the Egyptian plagues.

Applications of chicken litter may be a health issue if handled improperly. Worse, New York City likes to ship its crap to rural areas for spreading on fields. Not nice.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:43 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Many of us responded to your other thread here a few days ago about this issue:

Has anyone lived on a corner piece of land outside a 'crop circle'? Thoughts on that.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rura...iece-land.html

As I said there... it REALLY depends on what they're growing there, and what they're spraying. You need details to really make a decision about any particular specific area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living