Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:18 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times

Advertisements

I think a small town in someplace like North Dakota or Montana would be an incredibly hard thing for a city girl like your wife to deal with as those states as a whole are already isolated so any escape from small town life into the big city for the occasional shopping or cultural trip that she may want to take, could be a 10 hour trip or even longer to get to a major city (i.e. more than 100,000 people). I think in terms of compromising on town size and on weather, Colorado would be your best best. Check out the areas north of Fort Collins, in between Fort Collins and the Wyoming border. It's still pretty undeveloped (although as a warning, Colorado is one of the fastest growing states so it may not stay that way for long), but you're not all that far from the amenities that Metro Denver has to offer, nor that far from prime cabin/ski country in the Rockies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 04:26 PM

46 posts, read 178,016 times
i print all the messages and will have time to look the map, and check alla the places.
thank you everybody for your advices it's so kind of you

usa is 17 times france but there is 36000 cities in france and near 24000 in us, so it's more easy to choose
of course we have cities call "lieu dit" with 1 ; 2 or 3 people but's it's a town
it's crazy, i know
happy neaw year to everybody

Old 01-07-2007, 02:13 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Frenchie, I have to agree with the poster who mentioned that your California girlfriend will not be happy in those places. I live in So. Dak. and there is affordable housing in several areas here. But if you need a job, you won't want to drive 30 miles during a snowstorm or an ice storm to get to work in a bigger town that has employment available. About the time actual temp is -30F and -50 with windchill, your poor California gal will have had more then enough. Here's a fair warning~about the time you ask her to come out and help you shovel three foot snow drifts to clear your driveway open, you'll be living there alone. Everything is much cheaper in the Dakotas and Mont. and Wyo, then in Cal, but it's not cheap to heat our homes up here either. Believe me, I've lived here for 51 years and I am convinced that I will NEVER like the extreme cold temps and the huge snowfalls. Our summers will also make Cal. feel like a paradise. It's not unusual for our temps to soar well over 100 F.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:09 PM

139 posts, read 366,133 times
Default Best small town is in NY

The best small town I've ever been in is Cazenovia, NY. Very picturesque and near enough to bigger place, and not that far from NYC. However, Colorado is sunny and I live near Fort Collins, CO, and it is nice (but lots of traffic).

Old 01-07-2007, 03:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoss View Post
. However, Colorado is sunny and I live near Fort Collins, CO, and it is nice (but lots of traffic).
Yeah, I-25 is much, much busier than it used to be, and so is the Fort. It used to be kinda windy and lonely north of Ft Collins, but I suppose that is changing as the development marches on. Castle Rock might be a better idea--closer to civilization, and still cheaper than LA.
Zenguy
I agree about the Massif Central. It's actually similar to the Colorado area that dullnboring mentioned--there are cute small towns near Clermont-Ferrand.
New Mexico is also a good idea, though Santa Fe is not cheap.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,345 times
try maryland.. some parts are very expencive *I live in rockville. If you like la you will love georgetown, its in dc but in potomac and in bethesda there are some great family friendly and not to mention historic homes. Virgina is also a nice area to live in. It can get humid but it is normaly warm in september but it dose snow in the winter. You could cheak it out

Old 01-07-2007, 08:45 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoss View Post
The best small town I've ever been in is Cazenovia, NY. Very picturesque and near enough to bigger place, and not that far from NYC. .
Good suggestion for Frenchie. They might like Saratoga Springs area too. Plus, if Frenchie gets nostalgic and homesick, just head north a couple of hours to Montreal. All the world class culture, entertainment and shopping they want in the second largest francophone city in the world. Quebec is fantastic.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Good suggestion for Frenchie. They might like Saratoga Springs area too. Plus, if Frenchie gets nostalgic and homesick, just head north a couple of hours to Montreal. All the world class culture, entertainment and shopping they want in the second largest francophone city in the world. Quebec is fantastic.
But the girlfriend wants sun, at least April to September.
Would Cazenovia, NY work?
I myself would *love* to visit Montreal some day. I am sure it is actually quite pretty in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living