Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 10:00 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
Call up ADT. It will be expensive but it's the best. Undefeatable alarm with cellular backup. We have surveillance up and it's been almost a year and we still haven't even scrubbed it once. (In other words, we could go back to any moment in time in the past 10 months.)
Maybe I missed it, but OP did not mention any house, so I assume he can’t use ADT. That would require electricity onsite. The beauty of ADT is that LE gets called. But that only helps if LE can actually respond quickly.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:01 PM

1,100 posts, read 430,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You’re the one that made the demonstrably false claim. Own it.
What false claim?

Quote:
You keep trying to massage the facts to suit your narrative. The OP’s situation is simple trespass, with no threat of grave bodily injury or death. You can’t shoot the trespasser on that situation. If there is a threat of grave bodily injury or death, a deadly force response is justified, but it has nothing to do with trespassing.
How many times have I said "if they pose a threat"? However, the law would be on your side. You could say whatever pretty much as long as you didn't shoot him in the back. Again, for like 4th or 5th time I wouldn't advise this. But the property owner could pretty much say whatever and wouldn't be charged most likely. I don't condone that but you don't seem to get it, the law is on your side at least in this state. Ever hear the phrase "possession is 9/10ths of the law"? Sorta the same thing.

Quote:
You’re the one making the ridiculous claims. The burden is on you to support them, not on me to disprove them.
What ridiculous claims? What planet are you even on?

Quote:
Cool story, bro. Cite the law.
No duty to retreat in this state, stand your ground law. Castle Doctrine which extends to vehicles. Open and concealed carry legal. Those are the laws.

Quote:
How could that possibly be relevant to this discussion?
Because I'd be willing to bet you live in some pansy liberal state where the robber would break in, get a papercut, and sue you for that along with not using their correct pronouns if you confronted them. You don't understand the concept of how the laws work here in states where you're actually free, like Tennessee.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:33 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
What false claim?
That in TN, the OP could shoot the trespasser. Want me to add the post number where you said that, or do you remember?

Quote:
What ridiculous claims? What planet are you even on?
That trespassers can be shot. Same as above. And that it's legal to hold a trespasser at gunpoint in TN.

Quote:
No duty to retreat in this state, stand your ground law. Castle Doctrine which extends to vehicles. Open and concealed carry legal. Those are the laws.
None of those laws grant permission to hold a trespasser at gunpoint. Either post the law that allows for what you're claiming, or admit that you're wrong. It's pretty simple.

Quote:
Because I'd be willing to bet you live in some pansy liberal state where the robber would break in, get a papercut, and sue you for that along with not using their correct pronouns if you confronted them. You don't understand the concept of how the laws work here in states where you're actually free, like Tennessee.
I've lived in free states since leaving California in 1996. Among those are the 13 years I spent in GA. I am pretty familiar with southern states.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:06 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
$80 a month? I don’t know of any camera that cost $80 a month to subscribe to the storage plan. We have the unpaid versions on most of our cameras, but if I wanted to keep the recordings I would subscribe but it wouldn’t be any more than $10 or so. What kind of cameras were you looking at that you had to pay $80 a month for the subscription? Were you looking at companies like ADP for a whole system or were you just looking at cameras that you can put up on your own?
ISP is Internet Service Provider. It is not the camera fees but internet fees.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
That in TN, the OP could shoot the trespasser. Want me to add the post number where you said that, or do you remember?
Yes I remember. I only speak English so this is time #33432232 I've said this, but you have no duty to retreat in TN. I don't owe you anything. Most people get the fact that when you own a piece of land you have rights-- you don't seem to. I wouldn't advise it in this situation and I've said it 7 times, but if the property owner confronted the trespasser and owner felt threatened in any way he could shoot to kill. What you don't seem to understand is that the cops are going to be on your side from the get go.

Quote:
That trespassers can be shot. Same as above. And that it's legal to hold a trespasser at gunpoint in TN.
It's legal. Here is your source. I'm not your law clerk so forgive me if I don't go down to UTK law school downtown.

https://www.lawofficeofpatrickhenry....-in-tennessee/

That's all you're gonna get from me.

Tennessee is one of the states that does not require you to try to get away from the situation before reacting. Some states do have that requirement. The law in this state presumes that if someone is attacking you or otherwise illegally entering your property that you do have a valid reason to be afraid for your own well-being.

Quote:
None of those laws grant permission to hold a trespasser at gunpoint. Either post the law that allows for what you're claiming, or admit that you're wrong. It's pretty simple.
Oh but I'm not wrong. Did you not read about what happened in my own neighborhood, or close to it? I'm not making it up. Someone with a shotgun cornered a nuisance. So why did that neighbor not get arrested? There were literally 20 cops right near me when someone finally caught and cornered the guy with their own firearm. Neighbor faced no charges, no more problems. Nuisance went to jail. Solved, no problems since. The law works!!! If you want the non-emergency line to the cops so they can explain it to you just ask!

Quote:
I've lived in free states since leaving California in 1996. Among those are the 13 years I spent in GA. I am pretty familiar with southern states.
Ah but you're from California I take it, the shoe fits. Don't trespass and don't get a gun pulled on you, pretty simple.

If you're so convinced to tell me my laws in Tennessee why don't you go trespass somewhere in this state and see what happens, because words and experience from a lifelong resident don't seem to get through to you.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:03 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Yes I remember. I only speak English so this is time #33432232 I've said this, but you have no duty to retreat in TN.
No duty to retreat is a non issue. You keep trying to make this about the property owner being threatened, but that's not the case. Read the OP if you're still confused. No one is threatening the property owner. If they were, this would be a completely different discussion, but that isn't what's happening. Quit making stuff up to suit your crazy narrative.

Quote:
I don't owe you anything. Most people get the fact that when you own a piece of land you have rights-- you don't seem to. I wouldn't advise it in this situation and I've said it 7 times, but if the property owner confronted the trespasser and owner felt threatened in any way he could shoot to kill. What you don't seem to understand is that the cops are going to be on your side from the get go.
See above. You're making stuff up to suit your crazy narrative. Just stop already.

Quote:
It's legal. Here is your source. I'm not your law clerk so forgive me if I don't go down to UTK law school downtown.

https://www.lawofficeofpatrickhenry....-in-tennessee/

Tennessee is one of the states that does not require you to try to get away from the situation before reacting. Some states do have that requirement. The law in this state presumes that if someone is attacking you or otherwise illegally entering your property that you do have a valid reason to be afraid for your own well-being.
Stand your ground is a non issue as no one is being threatened. Stop making stuff up.

Quote:
Oh but I'm not wrong. Did you not read about what happened in my own neighborhood, or close to it? I'm not making it up. Someone with a shotgun cornered a nuisance. So why did that neighbor not get arrested? There were literally 20 cops right near me when someone finally caught and cornered the guy with their own firearm. Neighbor faced no charges, no more problems. Nuisance went to jail. Solved, no problems since. The law works!!! If you want the non-emergency line to the cops so they can explain it to you just ask!
Cool story, Bro. Now cite the law. Specifically, the law that allows you hold trespassers at gunpoint. Particularly if they aren't threatening you, as in the OP's situation. Not castle doctrine, not stand your ground, not any other irrelevant law. You claim to be well versed in TN law, so show us. Give it your best shot, because you've failed miserably so far.

Quote:
Ah but you're from California I take it, the shoe fits. Don't trespass and don't get a gun pulled on you, pretty simple.

If you're so convinced to tell me my laws in Tennessee why don't you go trespass somewhere in this state and see what happens, because words and experience from a lifelong resident don't seem to get through to you.
"Words and experience" don't equal law. This is pretty simple stuff. You really shouldn't be struggling with it so much.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
No duty to retreat is a non issue. You keep trying to make this about the property owner being threatened, but that's not the case. Read the OP if you're still confused. No one is threatening the property owner. If they were, this would be a completely different discussion, but that isn't what's happening. Quit making stuff up to suit your crazy narrative.

See above. You're making stuff up to suit your crazy narrative. Just stop already.

Stand your ground is a non issue as no one is being threatened. Stop making stuff up.

Cool story, Bro. Now cite the law. Specifically, the law that allows you hold trespassers at gunpoint. Particularly if they aren't threatening you, as in the OP's situation. Not castle doctrine, not stand your ground, not any other irrelevant law. You claim to be well versed in TN law, so show us. Give it your best shot, because you've failed miserably so far.

"Words and experience" don't equal law. This is pretty simple stuff. You really shouldn't be struggling with it so much.
You have made this ridiculous. Please call 615-862-8600 and ask them about the laws. I’m not your law clerk. What I meant which went right over your head is that trespassing just isn’t wise in a state like Tennessee. Do you know how easily the property owner could claim he or she was threatened even if really not? I’m not condoning this nor suggesting it, but it is what it is. That’s what I mean when I say the law is on your side.

My friend’s NDN chased down a known trespassing nuisance and cornered him with a shotgun and faced no charges. It is a cool story. Should I get a sworn deposition from him to you?

You believe whatever you want.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
If you trust your local police, I'd ask them for recommendations on what to do, in regard to posting signs, keeping people away, etc. If people are bold enough to be on your porch, they certainly know you're not there often & that's a little more scary than just pitching a tent in the back by the fence. At very least, there needs to be 'proof of life' of someone living in the home. Also, eventually, they may try to break in to stay inside, since they've never encountered an owner or tenant & return regularly.

It's also strange that they're not worried about being found out... leaving trash around shows either they're having late night drinking sessions or are staying for days, perhaps camping out. Unsure why they don't bother to take trash with them. They must know someone will eventually find it.

Unsure if it fits your needs, but you could hire a housesitter on occasion, like perhaps once/wk, different days. There will be signs of life that someone is around, like a car, outdoor porch light on, etc. They can also inspect the property & alert you that there's trash & signs of someone there. If that person has a large dog/s, the better. Should tresspassers ever get chased out by dogs, they might be less likely to return.

If you're afraid of a sudden encounter with a trespasser (as in danger), I'd carry a bullhorn when walking the property. If you see them up ahead, you can use it to tell them to move along... they might think you're security. Of course, when visiting, big dogs left to run would be ideal... but, at very least, someone needs to make their presence known, if not you, so the land squatters will find another homestead to stake an occasional claim.

And, seriously, have you ever considered renting out your property, via AirBNB or something similar? You could just do week only stays & you'd need a local to clean up afterwards... again, more signs of life to keep others away.

I used to be a landlord. I try to do things with humor. At very least, placing a sign in the back will show someone's around & aware, like the trespassing signs others mentioned before (again, I'd ask local police). Or, "We're glad you enjoy our property. We offer AirBNB accommodations. If you'd like to stay on the property, please contact xxx to book a stay, otherwise, you'll need to vacate. Please take your trash, hammocks & sandals with you."

And, if you hire others, do plan on stopping in unexpectedly from time to time. When my mum inherited a cabin in E. Nowhere, NH, not knowing what to do with it, she hired a local neighbor to keep an eye on it... mainly, he winterized the cabin (poured antifreeze into the pipes) & shoveled snow from the roof (which had caved in under the weight before)... he didn't need to be inside once the former was done. We visited once to take pics to put it on the market to sell & the guy who was getting a monthly fee to "watch" it was living there... all lights were on, door wide open with the wood burning fireplace steaming away, he was fishing in the private pond, his truck was parked in the yard (why, when there's a driveway?) & had taken a number of things from the home... tools, dishes... his dog was having a parade on the bed.

And, I do agree with your past post in which you said you'd spend $80/mo for security cameras. Good idea. For peace of mind, $80/mo is worth it. I'd do that at very least, as well as ask the police about which signes to post.

Best of luck! Please update the post so we know how it's going.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:50 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
ISP is Internet Service Provider. It is not the camera fees but internet fees.
Well ,he can get it just for a month to see who is coming there, seems that would be easiest.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:11 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
If you trust your local police, I'd ask them for recommendations on what to do, in regard to posting signs, keeping people away, etc. If people are bold enough to be on your porch, they certainly know you're not there often & that's a little more scary than just pitching a tent in the back by the fence. At very least, there needs to be 'proof of life' of someone living in the home. Also, eventually, they may try to break in to stay inside, since they've never encountered an owner or tenant & return regularly.

Good idea to talk to the police. And thanks for a legit attempt to get this thread back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living