Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 05:52 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I'd be a little nervous putting that kind of stress, on a receiver. (Receivers aren't really designed for that kind/direction of stress.)

Since you have a pick-up, I'd suggest a bed mounted winch type crane. If you only need this to "lift" then 2000 lbs should be easy for the whole bed to handle that load. Heck, with an F-250, you could probably lift 4,000 lbs. But, I wouldn't travel very far with it on the road...single tires, you know....
Look at the model mentioned. The hitch is used to stabilize the load. The weight is on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 07:01 PM

15,456 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Anyway, he moved a small pile of dirt and tapered it from the shop down to the ground and then he spread the gravel. His machine is pretty cool but even better in the hands of someone who can run it like an expert, like him.

Good neighbors are worth their weight in coconut cake!
The key there is "run it like an expert". A friend of mine rented a bulldozer to do some work on his acreage, and had accomplished almost nothing after a week. He hired a dozer operator by the hour, and the work was all done in 6 hours. My friend was shocked at how fast the guy worked.

I'm decent with a tractor and bucket loader, but not so great at getting the slope and such all perfect.

Old 11-19-2022, 08:07 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The key there is "run it like an expert". A friend of mine rented a bulldozer to do some work on his acreage, and had accomplished almost nothing after a week. He hired a dozer operator by the hour, and the work was all done in 6 hours. My friend was shocked at how fast the guy worked.

I'm decent with a tractor and bucket loader, but not so great at getting the slope and such all perfect.
Yep. A man’s got to know his limits and with no experience on that machine, I know mine! I’ve seen videos of him carrying a deer blind through some pretty rough country with the same skid steer.

Old 11-26-2022, 12:26 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Appliance deliveries are normally into the house and often include hooking them up.

However, you already have a pickup. Freezers are not all that heavy. Just push it up a ramp made of a couple of 2X6 boards and drive it up to where you need it. If you lay it down to move it, set it back upright and then don't plug it in for 24 hours.

If I can move a freezer all by myself, you shouldn't have any problem getting it moved. Use leverage, not muscle power to move it.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:23 AM

19,800 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In reverse order, when I was getting my gun safe, they told me about the roller approach for my truck bed. As it turned out, I didn't need the rollers for the truck bed, they delivered the gun safe, but having rollers in the truck bed is something I have had ever since.

With this freezer, moving it around the truck bed wasn't hard at all. The real question of reality, was getting it out of the truck bed to the ground and one approach I was thinking of was cargo straps to lower it down. As it was, it wasn't that heavy and I was able to wrangling it around to the ground.

FINALLY, this thread is more about tools of cargo moving, such as tractors, around the ranch instead of a primary focus of getting things in and out of the pick up truck bed for, after all, what good will all that do.....if the pickup can't get to that part of the ranch to begin with?
You've been given a ton of advice. Just this week I improvised a deer drag with the tail of a ratchet strap by knotting up a chest loop and two hand loops, and hoisted 120lbs of gutted carcass into the bed of the truck. I dragged the thing to a slope, backed the truck up to the hill to make the hoist less of an issue and pulled it up. I backed the truck into my shop where I have an electric lift and put the carcass on a gambrel where I butchered it.

I've lived rural all my life and frankly I think you are overcomplicating things. I hope you can figure things out. A good neighbor might help.

Last edited by Threerun; 11-28-2022 at 12:36 AM..

Old 11-28-2022, 10:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Overcomplicating things...yeah.

Already got the tools to do the job but haven’t even tried them? Sometimes all you need is to figure out how to use them for your task even if the thing was meant to do mainly something else.

On one of our long-distance moves, the U-Haul had a nice slide-out ramp built in. But I had no hand truck or dolly to move the heavy, awkward shelf into the building. Nobody to help.

Solution: I had previously bought an inexpensive set of fit-together (jigsaw edge) sturdy poly-something squares that included casters for each corner. I had bought them to use when working under the truck, but they have worked great for moving heavy items around as well. And when done, I store them on edge tucked between garage shelving units.

Last edited by pikabike; 11-28-2022 at 10:33 AM..

Old 11-29-2022, 07:43 AM

1,812 posts, read 903,193 times
Quote:
I am thinking of getting another chest freezer, maybe 2 (eventually). I need it delivered for while my F-250 could easily carry what I have in mind, I would be crushed getting it out of the bed. So if they could just drop it on the garage apron, that would be fine. BUT.....what if they didn't drop it there but at the end of the dirt driveway, just off the country road? Hence, our story today........

.........could a BOBCAT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skid-steer_loader do that, pick up a ~7 cubic foot freezer, drive it down the slope of a clay/rock driveway...........or is that just a babe in the woods fantasy?

But it is a bit more than that for is The Bobcat something no self respecting ranch owner should be without? For things that need to be done on a ranch, is that something that is really needed, should I put it on my Christmas list (still probably after the next freezer)........and will I need a trailer for it, too?
If you can afford it get the Bobcat. I’m currently looking for one as well. Very versatile pieces of machinery. Don’t let the naysayer’s talk you out of one. If you’d wanted a tractor you’d have been asking about one.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
I am thinking of getting another chest freezer, maybe 2 (eventually). I need it delivered for while my F-250 could easily carry what I have in mind, I would be crushed getting it out of the bed. So if they could just drop it on the garage apron, that would be fine. BUT.....what if they didn't drop it there but at the end of the dirt driveway, just off the country road? Hence, our story today........

.........could a BOBCAT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skid-steer_loader do that, pick up a ~7 cubic foot freezer, drive it down the slope of a clay/rock driveway...........or is that just a babe in the woods fantasy?

But it is a bit more than that for is The Bobcat something no self respecting ranch owner should be without? For things that need to be done on a ranch, is that something that is really needed, should I put it on my Christmas list (still probably after the next freezer)........and will I need a trailer for it, too?
Since you have friends in the military... consider a surplus ~500- 1000# 'bomb hoist'. that swivels and mounts to the rear of your F250. We had one that was very light aluminum (Cable lift mechanism) and could be placed on the service truck or a gantry in the shop (or a hitch on the tractor). This was very light and very versatile. Pulled many engines, lifted heavy objects, and did farm equipment repairs.

https://www.alamy.com/180311-n-wo968...5&searchtype=0

Skid steer is pretty handy, I use a tracked version because I have very steep terrain. I bought it used with (9) attachments, including a $10k articulated stump grinder + a 4" capacity chipper + grapple and clam bucket + logging winch + 6 way blade... It was under $40k (used with 500 hrs) It retailed for over $80k.

35hp tractor is far cheaper and much cheaper to run ($4 / hr rather than $24/hr) and repair and get simple 3pt attachments (Plus you can get them with a Bobcat front bucket mount, so you can rent or buy Bobcat attachments for your tractor., including grapple (my favorite) and forks). I have mounted a long gib-pole to tractor bucket to move heavy stuff into my home (wood stove...)

Bobcat / Skid steer is best for heavy loads in tight places. They are not great on uneven ground. Both / all equipt is plenty dangerous. I think my trackloader (bulldozer) with clampshell bucket and rippers is the safest and most useful equipment around my place. but the tractors are cheapest, most heavily used and versatile. Dozer is kinda rough on the front lawn when planting large trees and shrubs. But it is really fun to make a mess, and it will do a lot of work, very quickly and effortlessly.

Digger / excavator (With thumb) is really versatile but is limited in material capacity and transporting loads across long distances. I like an excavator with a boom mounted flail mower and an articulated (swivel) bucket.

My sustaining rule-of-thumb...
Buy what best suits 80% o0f your needs (likely a used $10,000 4x4 tractor with loader)
Rent what you need for specialty projects. (Dozers and Bobcats are very expensive to repair, and their cost per hour (repair, fuel, service) is far higher than a tractor. ) That said... I have at least one of everything, and that is tough to keep everything running. I'm gonna have a massive estate sale. (After my spouse uses my backhoe and dozer to bury me, then back-fill, then sell at the auction. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living