Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 04:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,607,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Well had the conversation (he called me). I was very polite about it but explained that I need privacy and like to work outside alone. I said I'd still love to enjoy a beer or so but that it would work best for us if we could pre-arrange those things. I also pointed out the 2 times we tried to say something with no success. He seemed offended but said "ok" I will see how this goes. My wife and I are (what I feel) are really nice folks, its just this has been a constant aggravation as that I couldnt do a thing outside without company and after a long work week/day I just need that.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, input and such.

Well done speaking up for yourself. He'll get over it or he won't. And you'll have your peace back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 06:41 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,255,986 times
Well you're just a city mouse. You and the neighbor will never totally get each other. A lot of the time new people from the city are shunned when they move to the country. At least the neighbor was trying to be friendly and welcoming in his way.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Hopefully your time constraints will allow for the occasional beer, and even some mutual projects together when / if appropriate. Sometimes it's necessary to have a helping hand (for each neighbor). Towing cars around the yard, lifting beams, felling trees, pouring concrete from a 10 yr truck, setting trusses... all tough to do single handed. potentially dangerous too.

Good luck, nurture your neighbors when you are able. Stuff is all temporary. Relationships are important, but time consuming.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:25 PM

840 posts, read 695,358 times
Thank you, and yes indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well done speaking up for yourself. He'll get over it or he won't. And you'll have your peace back.

Old 04-14-2023, 03:31 AM

Thanks, While I do feel a little bad, I did remind myself that before we built the house and were walking the vacant lot (with full permission from agent) he was actually pretty nasty to me telling me I was trespassing even after I told him I had permission. The funny thing is we went one lot over from this lot specifically because I didnt want to be next to him and now when he was coming to my place he cuts across that vacant lot that he accused me of trespassing on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

Old 04-14-2023, 03:41 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,607,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Thanks, While I do feel a little bad, I did remind myself that before we built the house and were walking the vacant lot (with full permission from agent) he was actually pretty nasty to me telling me I was trespassing even after I told him I had permission. The funny thing is we went one lot over from this lot specifically because I didnt want to be next to him and now when he was coming to my place he cuts across that vacant lot that he accused me of trespassing on.

ugh! So this sounds like a case of he feels like he owns the property and can do whatever he wants because he was there first. Yeah I know the type. Glad you've taken care of it.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
There is a reason some city folks should not come to the country.

One neighbor incessantly is bothered by my country stuff. Such us when I use green metal T posts that have 4 inches of white paint at the top for visibility to livestock and people. As soon as I'm away from home, she comes into my pasture and paints all the white tips green. Been 29 yrs now, she's not adapting real well to country life, and I've not been won over to her NYC style micro management of my western farm. We'll go to our graves with a level of tension and disagreement, but no one is getting shot.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:00 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,553,655 times
I wave at my neighbors and stop to say hi, but don't get out of my car. Being friendly is good, but being too chummy with neighbors is a bad idea.

You can get along great for a while, then get on each other's nerves. Eventually, you'll end up enemies and who wants enemies living next door? No thanks. I have friends that aren't neighbors, and that's how I want it. Privacy and planned visits is my preference.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:16 AM

4,553 posts, read 2,702,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There is a reason some city folks should not come to the country.

One neighbor incessantly is bothered by my country stuff. Such us when I use green metal T posts that have 4 inches of white paint at the top for visibility to livestock and people. As soon as I'm away from home, she comes into my pasture and paints all the white tips green. Been 29 yrs now, she's not adapting real well to country life, and I've not been won over to her NYC style micro management of my western farm. We'll go to our graves with a level of tension and disagreement, but no one is getting shot.
Seriously?

Paints the top of your posts?

This really would not go over well in the rural Texas I know.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:21 AM

Exactly my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I wave at my neighbors and stop to say hi, but don't get out of my car. Being friendly is good, but being too chummy with neighbors is a bad idea.

You can get along great for a while, then get on each other's nerves. Eventually, you'll end up enemies and who wants enemies living next door? No thanks. I have friends that aren't neighbors, and that's how I want it. Privacy and planned visits is my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living