Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 06:16 AM

127 posts, read 143,525 times

Advertisements

I will be going from an area where I have enjoyed the speeds of Xfinity high speed FTTH internet to a rural area where no broadband internet service is offered. No fiber, no cable, no DSL.

Although I am looking forward to my new rural setting, I have been spoiled with the Xfinity internet. I have come to enjoy my wi-fi cameras such as the Nest, Ring and Blink cameras which keep an eye on my present location. Without broadband internet with Wi-Fi, do I have any workarounds for those home security assets?

I have also come to enjoy the music streaming on my Alexa Echo Dot. Another loss?

YouTube how-to videos have been so helpful to me on a variety of subjects. I hate to think of not having that resource readily available to me as I face issues from repairing a piece of equipment to learning how to do a home repair.

I'm dreading the feeling of being in a third world country dealing with undependable satellite internet. I am sure many of you live in similar non-served areas. Any feedback as to what I should expect with the uses important to me will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 06:58 AM

7,279 posts, read 5,158,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
... Without broadband internet with Wi-Fi, do I have any workarounds for those home security assets?

Security pproblems? I was having a lot of trouble with trespassers...I finally had to put up No Trespassing signs because I was running out of room to bury the bodies. You always have options.

Problem with satellite connections to internet is the usage limits they put on you. Be careful what you sign up for.

Old 04-29-2023, 08:42 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,191,397 times
Quote:
I will be going from an area where I have enjoyed the speeds of Xfinity high speed FTTH internet to a rural area where no broadband internet service is offered. No fiber, no cable, no DSL.

Although I am looking forward to my new rural setting, I have been spoiled with the Xfinity internet. I have come to enjoy my wi-fi cameras such as the Nest, Ring and Blink cameras which keep an eye on my present location. Without broadband internet with Wi-Fi, do I have any workarounds for those home security assets?

I have also come to enjoy the music streaming on my Alexa Echo Dot. Another loss?

YouTube how-to videos have been so helpful to me on a variety of subjects. I hate to think of not having that resource readily available to me as I face issues from repairing a piece of equipment to learning how to do a home repair.

I'm dreading the feeling of being in a third world country dealing with undependable satellite internet. I am sure many of you live in similar non-served areas. Any feedback as to what I should expect with the uses important to me will be greatly appreciated.
We live with that same limitation, but found a solution that works well for us. We lived in an area that didn't have any cable, it did DSL, but it was too slow. We tried satellite internet; it was absolutely bonkers because of the price, and because of snow, it didn't work well at all. Not to mention, it only offered 10GB/mo, and each additional 1GB was $10. We used that until we retired, but it was horrible. We'll never even consider satellite again due to that bad experience.

Once we retired, we built a retirement house in an area that had even less options...except one. We're close to a cell tower, and Verizon offers MiFi (up here, currently at 4g speeds), and although it slower than cable speeds, it's good enough for streaming movies at night, and is almost never down even in the worst storms. The 150GB/mo is ~$80 and change, but it is good enough that (even though I'm retired), I still do consulting, and can easily share images, schematics, etc. over the net. YouTube is easily viewed, but if used too much, can still chip away at that allotment of cycles. Living in the sticks and still having what we need to stay up to date is really great.

Good Luck! I hope you find something that works.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:08 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,920,805 times
Similar story as @MichiganGreg.

We also have Verizon MiFi and rarely have issues. It is pricey in our area BUT we very rarely drop calls on our cell phones and it takes one big honkin’ lightening storm for the internet to fail.

We have Dish for TV and while it is more dependable than DirecTv, it does go out during severe storms.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:16 AM

17,642 posts, read 22,663,494 times
We live out in the country on the side of a forested mountain. For 20 years we had the slow Dial Up Internet. Trying to watch a movie usually didn't work. It would freeze up often. The same with You Tube.

After 20 years, Frontier came in with more speed of internet. We can stream movies with no problems, (Amazon Prime, tubi, vudu, HBO Max, etc) also watch movies from You Tube.

Frontier sold out to Ziply Fiber, which we are happy with now. We can still stream all the movies.
I don't know if WiFi is available. You could ask Ziply Fiber, if they are in your area.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:37 AM

In the area I’m going T-Mobile offers a hot spot wi-fi service, but they say it is not available at my particular address

Old 04-29-2023, 11:05 AM

19,818 posts, read 22,716,553 times
We have Starlink and it has performed pretty much flawlessly. Currently I am quite far from the router and I’m getting 123 down and 10 up.

It’s a little spendier than our old line of site system, but it is much, much better. My wife and I both work from home quite a bit so the speed and reliability are worth it.

Old 04-29-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We have Starlink and it has performed pretty much flawlessly. Currently I am quite far from the router and I’m getting 123 down and 10 up.

It’s a little spendier than our old line of site system, but it is much, much better. My wife and I both work from home quite a bit so the speed and reliability are worth it.
Unfortunately, the Starlink availability map lists the area that I’m considering as unavailable

Old 04-29-2023, 12:41 PM

19,818 posts, read 22,716,553 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the Starlink availability map lists the area that I’m considering as unavailable
That sucks. I know they hit our area pretty quickly, in fact a friend of mine was in their initial beta test group.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:06 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,680,818 times
Lightbulb You can have local WiFi without having broadband Internet

Quote:
Still worth getting on the waiting list, they open up new cells regularly.

If your area is listed as "full", you can usually still get the mobile/RV version and it'll work even in a cell which is full, it will just be slower and/or less reliable.

Quote:
I have come to enjoy my wi-fi cameras such as the Nest, Ring and Blink cameras which keep an eye on my present location. Without broadband internet with Wi-Fi, do I have any workarounds for those home security assets?

What we've done is install a Synology NAS (big box of disks) and then it runs both Surveillance Station (to record cameras locally) and also their music organizer to stream locally from music copied from our CD collection. It can do the same for movies.

Nest, Ring, Blink and other proprietary cameras will not work for local use on non-Internet-connected WiFi, but there are many other brands which implement the RTSP and/or ONVIF standards and will work fine without being able to talk to the cloud. Some are WiFi, but the better ones tend to use an Ethernet cable for both power and data (PoE).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living