Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:21 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

DES MOINES, Iowa - The operators of a farm where workers were secretly videotaped abusing pigs said Thursday they were launching an investigation and those responsible would be fired.

MowMar LLP of Fairmont, Minn., said in a statement that it is "surprised and outraged" by the actions captured this summer in undercover video by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Farm owners vow to fire pig abusers - Life - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 02:43 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,140 times
I find it hard to believe the owners didn't know what was going on.

What goes around comes around. Hopefully sooner than later

Old 10-09-2008, 11:13 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
I don't believe anything that comes from PETA.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:37 AM

53 posts, read 332,050 times
This story made me upset. I hate people mistreating animals.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
I love animals and all but aren't the pigs going to be turned into bacon and pork chops anyway?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:19 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I love animals and all but aren't the pigs going to be turned into bacon and pork chops anyway?

And? With that logic I should be able to beat up my Grandma daily. After all, she has Alzheimer's anyway and she won't remember it within an hour.

Sheesh.

It's about dignity and respect for life. Humans have been eating animals for a long time but there used to be a respect for the life that was sacrificed so that we could eat, and a responsibility to care for all creatures with kindness and dignity while they are on this earth.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:57 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I haven't eaten at a KFC since that video of those inbred hicks that were playing soccer with live chickens. And I liked KFC.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:41 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You're going to die eventually too but that doesn't mean we get to smack you. Does it? We don't, right? Ok, I'm sure now. We really don't.

Seriously this time, putting aside being decent human beings, animals react to stress. Meat quality is reduced when animals are stressed. If food quality is a concern the way an animal is raised and treated is also a concern.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
It happens, and those who do treat animals wrong are gone. As many animals that are out there, the abused are a very small percent.

What amazes me is when people will quit eating at a restaurant or quit eating that food group, because of something they see from the media. I knew a guy that beat his wife so bad that he broke her jaw bone. Does that mean that you should never marry a man?

Anyone who has raised livestock has had "issues". Animals can be stubborn POS's. I'm sure MW can back me on this, eh MW? Some people force an animal to do something, some work w/the animal.

These wrong actions come to light due to the fact that so many are "removed" from the farm, workers and the general population. They just don't see them the way we(farmers/ranchers) do. People need to investigate more before they believe what the media throws at them.

Back to the guy who broke his wife jaw, he hit her once..........after she stabbed him while he was sleeping. He's in jail.....she is living w/her boyfriend.

Not to make light of the OP's link, but it helps to get the whole story.

BTW - kick'n chickens around, those boys need to be taken out behind the barn, if ya know what I mean.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:54 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Anyone who has raised livestock has had "issues". Animals can be stubborn POS's. I'm sure MW can back me on this, eh MW? Some people force an animal to do something, some work w/the animal.
Issues? Heck yes I have issues from working with livestock. I still have issues with a cow that pinned me to a wall between her horns (yes, some female bovine have horns) and she's been dead for two years. I could handle the bulls but that cow, she was meeeeeean, and tasty. And that damned rooster - he kicked me first. And btw, I didn't kick him, I chopped his head off. He was tasty. (see a pattern?) Oh...that's not what you meant? My bad.

Living, breathing, thinking beings have a mind of their own. Livestock doesn't always do what we need them to do when we need them to do it. Farmers care about their animals for many reasons, one of them being money. You don't want your animals stressed out and abused because it reflects on the end product. Most of us care about our animals and wouldn't employ someone who doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living