Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 PM

76 posts, read 208,873 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Speaking of small towns... how difficult is it to obtain a business license in one? I have been living in a small town for a while and have decided to open a little business (art store). I was talking to someone today who told me that my business could easily be denied and rejected if the "City Hall" doesn't approve of it. Unfortunately I live in a small town that doesn't particulary like any kind of growth or the idea of a "new" business coming into town. Does anyone know anything about this type of thing and if I have a right to a business license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Not NC but usually what happens is this:
1) go to Town Hall, fill out application for business license
2) you'll have to describe the type of business and address, town clerk or Zoning Administrator will check Town zoning code to see if business meets various criteria, this may include parking requirements, type of business allowed in location, other permits that may be needed like Health Department (this would be for food service) or special ones like for alcohol.
3) permit is issued within a couple days
4) or denied for not meeting various criteria (an example, we allow home occupations in residental zones. Those occupations are for things like a law office, real estate office, consulting-but not a retail business. The business owner also has to live in the residence. If the applicant doesn't live there or the business is retail the application is denied.)

This is assuming you don't need a special exception to zoning or a variance. These would be for wanting to have a non-allowed business or you don't have enough parking.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-07-2009 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: rewording

Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
The concept of a "ART STORE" should have No problem in most towns or citys. As long as the place is zoned "C1" (commercial) things should be okay.

Are you considering a Art Supply or sale of of artists painted pictures?. Either way do hope there is a demand in the area. Small town will be low rent but will the traffic flow (people) be enough to survive?

Then again there is the Inventory to be aquired. Chances are that you will not have any competition unless there are also antique stores in the area which would be a clientile draw...just throwing possibilities in the air. Not sure your full intentions.

When I went out looking to open a business...I checked out any possible competition first in my chosen locations before deciding which way to go.

Do wish you well in your decisions. Steve

PS; Make sure you have at least 6 months of capital (money) as income will be slow to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living