Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 26,071 times

Advertisements

Perhaps if you stick to a regular walking route the dogs living there would eventually get used to you and would leave you alone. The more familiar they become of you they will learn you aren't a threat. If there are only a few dogs bothering you, it would be worth it to go to each house, introduce yourself to the owners and visit with them awhile to discuss the situation in a friendly way. Seeing you with their owner in a non-threatening way will also calm them down considerably, and they quickly accept you as part of their neighborhood territory.They will normally let you pet them as long as the owners are standing there.

Many dogs appear threatening but if they are also wagging their tail you have nothing to fear, they are all bark - not bite.
Trying a little friendliness such as clicking your tongue, giving them a tooth-covered smile and saying "hey baby" in a sweet confident tone will calm the dogs down, and they will perceive you as a non-threat.
ALL animals love to be called 'Baby' and are usually called that by their owners. I have found it to be a very calming method for the dogs and myself.
If that doesn't work, sometimes stomping your foot and growling at them will make some of the less aggressive ones back off.
To dogs you are either a threat (let them know you aren't),
prey (something for them to run down and overpower & kill for fun - DON'T RUN OR MOVE TOO QUICKLY),
or a just plain curiosity (either ignore them completely or show a little kindness).

Screaming and running (especially running) is the worst thing you can do; dogs are extremely attracted to motion and running is the best way in the world to get them to chase you!
You become an animal of prey to them when you run.
ALWAYS move slowly when confronted with a dog (and most all other animals),
and maintain eye contact with a blank facial expression.
NEVER let them smell your fear. Take a deep breath and stay calm yourself first and it will much easier to calm the dogs.
The dogs are only doing their job of protecting their territory and families.
You are the intruder to their territory and it is your own responsibility to learn how to handle it, if you ever want to have the freedom to walk outdoors again.
(Even if you don't want to continue your daily walks, it's still good to learn how to handle unwelcome attention from dogs for other situations, such as if you have a flat tire and have to get out of your vehicle where a dog is)
If you are ever actually physically attacked by one, use your fist to punch the dogs nose. It is their most sensitive body part (equivilant to kicking a man in his privates).
The best way when riding a bike and you are charged at by dogs, raise your foot and flatfootedly kick with all your strength the nose of the the dog nearest you. The whole pack will run away.

Try different methods.

Don't let this situation stop you from enjoying your walks outdoors. A treadmill is a poor substitute for being out in the glorious world we have been blessed with.

Good Luck! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Actually, I LOVE dogs, and have had the same experiences in numerous rural, suburban, and urban locations. Just because I love dogs, does NOT mean that I am tolerant of vicious dogs, even understanding that most of them ARE vicious because of their IGNORANT owners. (I don't recall who posted that many people encourage their dogs to be vicious to protect their property, but it's ignorance pure and simple. IF one wants protection, one should get an alarm system. If it gets disabled, it isn't hurt.)

Anyway, pepper spray, bleach water in a spray or squirt bottle will both be a deterrent. I don't advocate rocks because 1.) you're likely to miss and the aggression will bring more harm, or 2.) you could harm the dog, and then have an escalated situation where you have some answering to higher authority. Besides, wouldn't you feel terrible? I would.

If the area doesn't have containment/leash laws, become the community spokesperson for bringing the area into the Present Era. Call, write, and visit every local and regional official remotely related to the issue. Become the squeaky wheel. The situation you avert may involve a child, elder, or handicapped.

Good dogs are a benefit to their neighbors and families, bad dogs are a menace -- and ALWAYS the responsibility of the owner.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Actually, I LOVE dogs, and have had the same experiences in numerous rural, suburban, and urban locations. Just because I love dogs, does NOT mean that I am tolerant of vicious dogs, even understanding that most of them ARE vicious because of their IGNORANT owners. (I don't recall who posted that many people encourage their dogs to be vicious to protect their property, but it's ignorance pure and simple. IF one wants protection, one should get an alarm system. If it gets disabled, it isn't hurt.)

Anyway, pepper spray, bleach water in a spray or squirt bottle will both be a deterrent. I don't advocate rocks because 1.) you're likely to miss and the aggression will bring more harm, or 2.) you could harm the dog, and then have an escalated situation where you have some answering to higher authority. Besides, wouldn't you feel terrible? I would.

If the area doesn't have containment/leash laws, become the community spokesperson for bringing the area into the Present Era. Call, write, and visit every local and regional official remotely related to the issue. Become the squeaky wheel. The situation you avert may involve a child, elder, or handicapped.

Good dogs are a benefit to their neighbors and families, bad dogs are a menace -- and ALWAYS the responsibility of the owner.
But, you would spray them with bleach???

Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 AM

754 posts, read 1,923,010 times
I have a different take. The neighborhood we live in has great walking areas and we all have dogs that visit each other. Everyone knows everyones dog and it wasn't a problem. Now, a person from a different neighborhood decided to start walking in our area and began by harrassing my dog because it was in the fence of the back yard and would bark at her as she went past. She would tease the dog by making faces at it and "cat calling" (he he). What she didn't realize is that this dog can and does get out of the fence at will. The dog was in the front one day and when she came by, the dog ran up to the road - not in the road mind you, just up to it and she about sh*t her pants and insisted the dog was trying to get her. Now she is calling the Humane Society on all of us and insisting we are not taking care of our dogs as they run loose. They don't run loose as a rule but they do get out and roam every once in a while in our neighborhood. She should stay the f out of the neighborhood if you ask me. There - theres my rant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living