Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times

Advertisements

yup, this from a poster who doesn't believe people on public roads have the right to defend themselves against barking,growling dogs who charge them

kinda a double-standard ( IMHO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Sorry guys, I have to agree with Ady to some degree. I live in the city and don't have any problems with dogs when I walk, barking or otherwise. As far as I am concerned, I like it when my neighbor's dogs bark at strangers...it warns me too. BUT (knew that was coming), when I go up to the lakehouse in the country (NE TX), it is a whole different issue. I still do not have problems with barking dogs or contained/restrained dogs but so many folks have dumped dogs down in that area that they have formed packs. There are literally at least 30+ masterless (or no one admits ownership) dogs (not including puppies) in that area. It is real problem that we have been unable to get help for despite 3 persons injured by attacks. In order to walk down to the lake or even to the mailboxes at the end of the road, you MUST carry a bat or gun for your own protection. Several of the dogs have subsequently been shot or have had to be beaten off. Someone (we all have suspects but no one is turning them in) really got tired of the threat and started putting out poison, I can understand their frustration but do not agree with their methods as this has resulted in the death of one owned dog and several owned cats. The county finally did something, instead of getting rid of the dogs or coralling the ones that attacked people, they put up signs offering a reward for the poisoner. I just have to shake my head. Folks are still carrying around their bats and guns and doing in the dogs that get out of line, meanwhile they are reproducing like rabbits and decimating the area wildlife (even taking down deer). It is just a bad situation. Having witnessed my 80 yo neighbor lady being attacked by a pack of three of these dogs and have to be carted away in an ambulance (yes I did weigh in w/ a big stick along with 2 other folks and was also slightly injured) just to get to her mailbox, I do not have a problem w/ folks carrying bats as long as they are used only on attacking dogs.
This is a whole different story. Wild dogs.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
yup, this from a poster who doesn't believe people on public roads have the right to defend themselves against barking,growling dogs who charge them

Let's see. A stranger walks past you on the sidewalk, versus a stranger walks uninvited into your house with a gun. Absolutely, the same thing, CLEARLY the same thing!

Who is it that's doing the twisting, again?

Just to get things back to where they belong, the original comment made to the poster who advocated taking baseball bats to dogs that annoy them was told that they'd better make sure that the dog IS attacking before they take after it with a baseball bat, because it was likely to get them into legal trouble otherwise, and that was what was objected to and what started this whole latest dust-up.

So, your (and the baseball bat poster's) stance is that it doesn't matter if the dog is really attacking or you just decide that it is? It should be your right to judge that it is attacking on the basis that it is a dog, if it is growling or barking? Do I have that correct?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:

But, I do believe they have that right. IF in fact an attack is what is happening. Barking and coming at someone is not a clear sign of an attack. Each case would have it's own merits.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:40 AM

If a human ran off his property to chase you while you were walking down a public street/road and he was screaming,swearing, and curcling you--------would you have the right to attack him first or would you have to wait til he started beating on you?

I would not wait for him to "attack" me nor would I wait for a barking growling,circling, dog to attack me.

Their actions and behavior were threatening( both behavior of the human and dog)

Old 04-24-2009, 09:43 AM

-" a stranger walks uninvited into your house with a gun "--

TeasHorseLady-----------?????????????????????????????

Driller was talking about 2 hunters trespassing on his property.

apples to oranges

Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
-" a stranger walks uninvited into your house with a gun "--

TeasHorseLady-----------?????????????????????????????

Driller was talking about 2 hunters trespassing on his property.

apples to oranges
No, it's not. Your original analogy was apples to oranges, as you referred to a public sidewalk versus private property. Trespassers with guns on your posted property and trespassers with guns walking into your house are much closer.

And he didn't shoot the hunters, or beat upon them with a baseball bat, for that matter, being a civilized human being, he simply confiscated their weapons.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
If a human ran off his property to chase you while you were walking down a public street/road and he was screaming,swearing, and circling you--------would you have the right to attack him first or would you have to wait til he started beating on you?

I would not wait for him to "attack" me nor would I wait for a barking growling,circling, dog to attack me.

Their actions and behavior were threatening( both behavior of the human and dog)
Screaming and swearing are both legal. Now, circling? It would depend on the size of the circle. In an extreme case I guess it could be kidnapping. LOL That would be a long shot.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 AM

hunters trspassing vs barking,growling dogs is apples to oranges.

If driller had turned in those 2 ,the fine would have been quite small.

I actually don't believe a word of Driller's story cuz nobody would drop a $400 + hunting rifle and leave.
The fine for trespassing while hunting is not that steep

Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM

TeasHorseLady and Driller---------why not keep your dogs on your 55 and 100 acres of property you own.

Problem solved !

(and you wouldn't have to defend people who think public property is where dogs are allowed to intimidate people )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living