Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:25 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,442,306 times

Advertisements

Congratulations and Good Luck on your dicision..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:42 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,456,106 times
I found this too late... I was going to suggest south Jersey to you... it's northern mid-atlantic, so it's less wintry than western NY or New England, etc., but you do still get some cold and snow... it's close to NYC, MD, etc... it's got fantastic farmland... after all, it IS the garden state... and it's politics are liberal... south Jersey tends to be less flaming than northern, but they're still liberal...

I lived at Ft. Dix for 3 years... and if I didn't live in what I consider pretty close to heaven... (New England), then I could be very happy in south Jersey.

Charlottsville is really nice... I lived in Woodbridge for a little over a year.... but it will be very humid in the summer compared to NY....

Oh well... if Charlottsville doesn't work out for you, save south Jersey for your list of 'nexts'.

Best of luck on your move, new life, and adventure!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesegirl View Post

The things that are important to both of us are sustainable living, progressive education, natural beauty and outdoor activities, cultural diversity, and good manners (which believe it or not, I find lots of in Brooklyn).

We're looking for a small town with a nice town center, or a rural area with easy access to a city. We'd like a few acres to try our hand at gardening or small scale vegetable farming.
Welp, that pretty much takes Arkansas and Missouri out of the running. You might look into Hot Springs, Arkansas where there are a lot of older people from "someplace else".

If you want rural though, you are pretty much going to have to resolve yourself to accepting the redneck mentality.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,530,511 times
What Coastalmaine said--only I say move to Maplewood NJ along with everyone else from Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living