Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:56 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times

Advertisements

The corn shredder looked a lot like a smaller threshing machine.

The strange part was, the most popular brand of corn sheller was---Rosenthal
( I never saw that brand name on any other piece of farm equipment)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:15 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
mkfarnam------I remember cutting corn with the corn binder, shocking the corn, then a month later a shredding crew of the neighboring farms would haul the corn bundles up to the shredder.

The cob corn came out a conveyor into a box and the chopped .dry, husks, stalks and leaves would come out the blower blowing it onto a pile on the ground ( too dry for the silo)

We didn't have a silo, but even our neighbors who shredded the dry bundles to get the fodder and cob corn would still fill their silos with green corn bundles.

The corn shredder was a machine that many a --man--lost a hand cuz you had to feed the dundles into it by hand.

No farmer left kids around that machine.
Yes, the corn binder, ours was run off a wide belt connected to a PTO on the tractor.
Your right, I know of afew people who lost fingers from one of those.

ours may not have been as ancient as this one.........but it was old
Attached Thumbnails
Small Scale Livestock Feed-corn-shredder.jpg  

Old 06-20-2009, 06:02 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,519,404 times
You guys mean like this? (You tube is your friend)

(And yes you are right Marmac, I work for it, but I still would noth bother their operation too much).

YouTube - Antique tractor powered corn mill

Old 06-20-2009, 06:18 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Yes, the corn binder, ours was run off a wide belt connected to a PTO on the tractor.
Your right, I know of afew people who lost fingers from one of those.

ours may not have been as ancient as this one.........but it was old

No, the corn binder was not run by a belt as it was a ground driven machine that was pulled up and down the corn rows. The binder was the machine that cut the corn,tied it into bundles and a bundle carrier delivered it to the ground in rows of bundles ( easier shocking the bundles)

The corn shocks /bundles were hauled to the shredder about a month after drying in the shocks.

Yes, the corn shredder was belt driven ( not the corn binder)

Two completely different machines for two different uses.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
No, the corn binder was not run by a belt as it was a ground driven machine that was pulled up and down the corn rows. The binder was the machine that cut the corn,tied it into bundles and a bundle carrier delivered it to the ground in rows of bundles ( easier shocking the bundles)

The corn shocks /bundles were hauled to the shredder about a month after drying in the shocks.

Yes, the corn shredder was belt driven ( not the corn binder)

Two completely different machines for two different uses.
Right, it's the shredder I was refering to. It's been 45+ years since I've been around any of this equipment

BT, the Mill is somewhat similiar, but I don't remember have a "circus organ" on ours

Old 06-20-2009, 09:18 PM

What's the name of the fungas found on corn? smut?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:24 AM

The disease it gives is called listerosis I know, and that is in almost any livestock that is fed silage.

I have never heard of what you guys are talking about. They did have a belt driven corn chopper here that took individual stocks and ran it through a chipper and up into the silo. It was not very popular because it was back breaking working. You had two choices:

Bend over and cut the stalks and toss them on the trailer a stalk at a time

Or

Cut the corn down with a sickle bar mower and then pick all the stalks up and put them on the trailer. Then the stalks were conveyed into the chipper, but it was a pretty slow process.

70 years later I was doing this same sort of thing and got around the listerosis and mold issue by storing the stalks whole and only chipping the stalks as I needed them. The stalks were covered from rain, but the prevailing wind could dry them out from the ends.

I actually designed a low cost, small scale silo that would make silage viable on small farms. I took it to the cooperative extension office where they could have the engineering dept run the numbers to make sure the silo was safe. They look rather simple but the static loads on the bottoms of the silo have an incredible amount of pressure on them. I haven't heard back from them though in a long time. I should follow up on that as I see silage being far more viable in the future then hay which is a stellar, but rather expensive feed to use.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 AM

263 posts, read 745,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
What's the name of the fungas found on corn? smut?
i guess down in mexico they eat the stuff....i have actually had people at the farmers market ask if we had any in our corn so they could come out and pick it.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 AM

I like the people from the city who come and ask if they can have some of our corn. I tell them go right ahead, pick all they want. They typically beam a big smile and think they hit pay dirt with those big ears, then grab buckets and buckets of the corn, with kernels so dented and big that looks like it will rival anything they get at the organic farmers market.

For some reason they never come back the next year. (we only grow cow corn here!)

Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I like the people from the city who come and ask if they can have some of our corn. I tell them go right ahead, pick all they want. They typically beam a big smile and think they hit pay dirt with those big ears, then grab buckets and buckets of the corn, with kernels so dented and big that looks like it will rival anything they get at the organic farmers market.

For some reason they never come back the next year. (we only grow cow corn here!)
AAWWW! Poor city slickers..They don't know the difference between Field corn and Sweet corn..they got some learnin to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living