Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I guess Lynchburg is as close as i got. Went to see how to make whiskey. Just east of you went up and down the valley there some too. It was in early Spring but the kudsu was beginning to get green. I have a odd sort of reason to like that plant, but i wouldn't like it if I had to see what it does ever day. I am willing to bet money you don't care for it much, unless it creates earnings for you.
I'm about 12 miles from Lynchburg.

Spring is pretty here. If you can figure out how to make money out of kudzu, please let me know! I've seen that stuff tear down buildings, kill small forests and make grown men cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 05:08 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drskinneymoon View Post
Yes, liked the Franklin, Tn area the best. Not the small town I was wanting, but I really liked the looks of the rural areas around it.
Franklin was a small town once, but it becomes less so just about every day.

If you liked the country around it, there are quite a few small towns in southern middle Tennessee that you might like.

A couple that come to mind that I like that are in your population range are Fayetteville, Lynchburg (very small ), Wartrace (very small), Petersburg, (very small), Pulaski, Hohenwald, Lawrenceburg.

There are really a lot of nice smaller towns in middle Tennessee.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
kudzu is eatable for one thing, I am not certain what parts are best, but I know it can be eatten, perhaps feed for domestics as well. I have none, and was more interested in medical properties it has for certain ailments. If you are medically quailified, and want any more I am game. I haven't yet had the time or ambition to research as i should, so again I am not sure, but heave heard ruhmors that entertain a few things i should look into for my own good.

There is no real need for you to be medically qualified to discuss this, but if you are that could help me a lot.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Kudzu root, when properly processed, has medicinal properties and the Japanese dried root powder sells for a premium in health food stores. We keep a fair amount of the dried root on hand, as it is great for stomach soothing and makes a pudding that can be easily eaten.

Processing is labor intensive though. The roots have to be dug between Nov and March, then there is cleaning, cold soaking and cutting (by hand, since there is a lot of variation in the roots), a slow starch removal process, and sedimentation. The Japanese prefer the pure white starch, although the gray version has more health properties. A couple of locations and families there have been the big suppliers for generations. China has Kudzu as well, but it is nowhere near as popular as in Japan.

The flowers can be made into a jelly that is quite nice, and the leaves are edible, but mostly used for fodder. FWIW, the libraries usually have a good book available on the subject, and there is a lot of info on the web if you do some digging. Be warned that "Kudzu" also refers to a type of potato starch outside of the U.S..

Old 03-10-2010, 12:18 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
A small town I really enjoyed in Tennessee is Kingston. I have relatives that live near there and it is a nice friendly town. Never had a bit of trouble in the 20+ years I've been going there.
To the ones talking about Marysville. Are you talking about Maryville, without the "s"?.
Another post on kudzu, it was introduced into the US as erosion control and just took over. I read in a Mother Earth News once that kudzu makes great compost for your garden. If you plant some for some reason, they say there are 2 things you have to do. One is to plant at night so the neighbors don't see who is planting that nasty plant. Two is, when you cover the seed with dirt, walk away quickly so the plant that pops right out doesn't grow up your pants leg! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living