Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:25 AM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times

Advertisements

Wow... either I'm stupid or what, because I completely don't see Granite Bay this way. There is a MINORITY of people that think that they're good because they have some money, and SOME of their kids catch that bug, but I graduated from GB High some years back, and most of all the kids understood that they were simply lucky to be from well off families and people were all pretty friendly during my High School days. Sure, some Escalades with dubs... I think it's ugly but it's not the end of the world. I still stick with my original idea that I'd rather put up with this minority of people that are fake over sending my kids to ghetto high school.

Everywhere has a certain percentage of the population that ends up being screwey. I'd rather them be harmless and a little stuck up over being a gangbanger... and when you leave your keys in your ignition with your car unlocked on accident and your car's still there a few hours later, I feel like I'm in a pretty nice place.

And I'll say it again...yeah, it's more conservative out here, but both my neighbors are Democrats, and they love Granite Bay.

There's no private school in GB, but there are a lot of kids as Jesuit, Loretto, Christian Brothers, and the like that just commute, and I think that's what they were talking about.

Lastly, please. Granite Bay is not "very" wealthy. It's upper middle class by an overwhelmingly large margin. We don't live in Beverly Hills, Belvedere, Blackhawk, or Newport, Rhode Island. They are very wealthy areas that Granite Bay shouldn't be compared to. Yeah, some really huge homes around here, but if you like, I can start naming streets in Granite Bay with some rather humble houses also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 01:47 PM

23 posts, read 144,584 times
Yes, I think that's right tande1n5. I'd rather be safe and deal with SOME snobs than worry about crime and underperforming schools.

Also, I've heard the same snob complaint about Folsom, Roseville and EDH. So I'm taking it all with a grain of salt.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:40 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,571 times
This is not a crime free area. Far from it. Your car will be stolen or broke into just like anywhere else. Our cars were broken into several times. We actually had someone steal an suv on our property, behind a wrought iron gate. They also stole a few other items. Good thing we had surveillance cameras and gave them to the sheriff. They caught all of them. They lived in the both of the trailer parks on Auburn Folsom and Douglas. Homes are also broken into. We had several children in the area that were harassed on their way home from school. One was almost pulled into a car. So don't think you can move here and put your blinders on. It is a nice area, but it's far from perfect. It has it's issues just like any other place.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:38 AM

23 posts, read 144,584 times
The crime statistics for Granite Bay are FAR better than other areas of Sacramento. There's really no comparison.

You can never avoid crime altogether, but your odd in GB are much better than other areas. Check out the crime stats if you don't believe me

Old 08-03-2007, 03:21 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meljones73 View Post
The crime statistics for Granite Bay are FAR better than other areas of Sacramento. There's really no comparison.

You can never avoid crime altogether, but your odd in GB are much better than other areas. Check out the crime stats if you don't believe me

That's the whay I think about it. the only time crime = 0 is when population = 0, but the stats do speak for themselves.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:17 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,116 times
I'm not an super big fan of the Sacramento region as a whole but there are some fine areas that I think are much better suited for raising a modern family than in Placer County. Carmichael is an unincorporated area about 10 miles northeast of downtown. It's an older, established neighborhood, with many beautiful homes and I've heard good schools. Arnold and Maria were rumored to have been house hunting in this area a few years back- as an FYI. Fair Oaks is a quite, sleepy little enclave near Carmichael with a lots of ranch style homes, rolling hills, and near the nice part of the American River. In Sacramento, there is McKinley Park and River Park with it's gorgeous homes built in the 40's, plenty of trees, and it's in the desirable area of East Sacramento. Land Park is quite nice as well with countless Craftsman style homes from the 1940's. Each home is unique with it's own character and you are surrounded by thousands of trees set in the middle of a huge city park. The only drawback is that South Sacramento is a few miles away which is one of the worst parts of town. Any nice neighborhood in the city proper will have plenty of liberal politics, diverse and educated neighbors, and is pretty safe. It becomes more conservative the farther out into the suburbs you go.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 18,532 times
I am cracking up - this is a good read and funny to boot! If I'm moving from SF with two small children, what do you think of Davis?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:23 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
I moved to Davis from San Francisco with my son (12 at the time) in 2002. Schools here are great. The high school's music program was just named one of the Grammy Foundation's 24 Signature High Schools in the country - the only one so designated in NoCal. My son is a serious flutist and has gotten to play at Carnegie Hall with the Davis High symphony orchestra and at a Welsh choral festival competition that attracts groups from all over the world with the madrigals and advanced treble choir. There are bike paths all over town (that's where flat comes in handy!), it's very safe, and there are tons of activities for kids. We have a great farmer's market 2 days a week with local produce. The Mondavi Center has much of the cultural activities you'd find in San Francisco as far as classical music and dance. We have little traffic in town and the commute to Sac is fast and easy unless you're going to the east side of the city. The politics are amusingly liberal, but coming from SF they're easy to deal with. PM me if you want more specific info.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 125,904 times
Chiming in a bit late, but I live in Granite Bay as well. Having relocated our family here 2 years ago from a rural farming community in the Pacific NW, I feel I can give you a pretty open-minded opinion of the GB area.

There are tons of kids around here, and tons of kid-friendly activities. Pretty much everything is based around kid's activities. Both of my children are in the GB public schools and we LOVE it. They came from a private school up in the NW, and I have to say the GB schools are as good, many even BETTER, than private schools. The education is phenomenal. They are encouraged to open their minds and think outside the box from a very young age.

As for kids having a hard time with fashion/cliques, etc, I'm not going to deny that. But it really depends on your child and also the group of children they are around. My daughter's class last year(5th grade) had a problem with it. It was 'fashion this, fashion that'. Her 6th grade class this years is COMPLETELY different (just a very studious class this year). I agree that if your child can deal with the pressure of peers, they will do just fine. A lot of it has to do with how they are raised at home.

As for the people around here...it's pretty much split. One side of town is very 'McMansion-ish', while the other has older ranch houses and large yards sprawled about. The people on that side of town tend to be more down to earth. Either way, I've found more than 90% of GB residents to be very accepting and open-minded. I volunteer a lot at my kids' schools and have gotten to know a lot of people that way.

The things we love about GB are:
The wonderful, wonderful schools
The proximity to shopping, services, as well as work and the city
The general 'lush' feel of the area.

By the way, we're thinking of selling our house and going to a slightly more rural area of GB. If you're at all interested in a really nice house w/ pool/spa, etc. let me know. We're also liberal and have liberal neighbors.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,571 times
Acutally there are some really good deals going on in GB right now. There are some very nice homes for lower prices then what they were a couple years ago.
I've always said the schools are very good here. It is a good place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento