Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:08 AM

7 posts, read 75,674 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I would REALLY appreciate some help here as I am kind of in a bind. I'm starting a new job at UC DAvis and plan on moving to the area in 2 weeks. I've been looking for places to live since March to no avail. Things I need to take into consideration are: 1) cost -- as a grad student, I am not going to be making too much money and the cost of rent in Davis is out of my range. 2) I'm too old to live with college-aged roomies, so I need a place for myself. 3) I have a huge dog!

I was thinking of finding a place in Sac to commute from. I hate commuting, but my fiance who will be moving out with me will likely be getting a job in east Sac. We want to both live somewhere where we will be able to see each other more than just on weekends. Otherwise, there is no point in him moving out here with me. By the way, we would be living seperately (we are old school! )

I need some advice as to which areas of Sac to look at where the commute to Davis will not cause me to shoot myself in the head after several months. Also, I need a place that is non-scary and safe, or my fiance will poo-poo it. Any ideas on what apartment complexes take large dogs will be much appreciated as well.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:15 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,493 times
You might want to search previous posts on commuting from Sac to Davis. I haven't rented in many years so I can't name specific apartments allow large dogs.

I used to work at UCD and commute from North Sac, so I know traveling back and forth is not fun. Sac Regional Transit does run several buses that go from downtown to Davis.

Since you and your fiance wll be working at opposite ends of town--east and west, you may want to find something in between or close to in between. There are some nice homes for rent in West Sac, Natomas (the West end of Natomas!), the area between Natomas and West Sac, and some areas of Tahoe Park, Curtis Park, and Hollywood Park. Hopefully, people who live in those areas will add more information.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 75,674 times
Looks like from other threads that West Sac is pretty sketchy. Any pockets that are nice? And where does one differentiate between North and South Natomas?

Old 07-11-2007, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 19,567 times
Try the Woodland area -- cute historic downtown area and very easy commute to Davis.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,635 times
If you want to live in Sac, look in the North-West parts of West Sac. North Natomas is new and fairly reasonable for the area, but the apts/condos/houses don't have much running room for big dogs. If you are willing to live out of Sac, Woodland's drive to Davis is very short and easy. Also you can think of Dixon. Dixon is a small bedroom community to Sac and Davis (I guess), West of Davis on Interstate 80. Good Luck.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 PM

58 posts, read 287,194 times
Hi!

Regarding this part of your message: I was thinking of finding a place in Sac to commute from. I hate commuting, but my fiance who will be moving out with me will likely be getting a job in east Sac. We want to both live somewhere where we will be able to see each other more than just on weekends. Otherwise, there is no point in him moving out here with me.

Woodland and Dixon would not be good places if your fiancee is in East Sac - It would be a good 30-40 minutes from East Sac to either of these towns - and that's without traffic A better bet would be to rent near the intersection of Fruitridge Road and South Land Park Dr. There are several apts/twnhomes/duplexes etc near there AND there is a dog park. This area is adjacent to Interstate 5 and 15-20 minutes to Davis depending on the time of day. If you go to work at regular-type hours you'll actually being going against the commute.

This area, known as South Land Park, is about 15 minutes by surface streets from East Sac.

Carolyn Montgomery
Realtor

Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
When I was in Sac last (a couple weeks ago), I was staying in Midtown and drove out to UC Davis nearly every day. It took 20 minutes door to door.

I also understand there is a bus which goes from downtown Sac out to UC Davis.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:53 PM

74 posts, read 357,620 times
Default West Sac not sketchy!

I commute from West Sac to Davis daily. I used to live in Davis. On the Southport side of West Sac it is very nice. You would need a car though, due to the lack of good bus routes to Davis. I love it here!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM

37 posts, read 142,910 times
Default Shuttle bus

There is an hourly shuttle bus that operates between the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento and the Davis campus for UC staff, faculty, students, patients, etc. It's not free, but the cost is minimal (certainly cheaper than driving a car and paying for a campus parking permit).

Here's the web page:
Buses & Shuttles

I moved to Davis recently (from nearby Woodland), but had been considering a move to Midtown Sacramento. It seems like a lively and diverse, yet comfortable neighborhood in Sacramento, and wasn't too far from the stop for the shuttle bus. Several of my friends and co-workers live there, too.

More info on Midtown:
Midtown Sacramento - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by natt; 07-18-2007 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: added a little more info

Old 07-18-2007, 05:42 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natt View Post
There is an hourly shuttle bus that operates between the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento and the Davis campus for UC staff, faculty, students, patients, etc. It's not free, but the cost is minimal (certainly cheaper than driving a car and paying for a campus parking permit).

Here's the web page:
Buses & Shuttles

I moved to Davis recently (from nearby Woodland), but had been considering a move to Midtown Sacramento. It seems like a lively and diverse, yet comfortable neighborhood in Sacramento, and wasn't too far from the stop for the shuttle bus. Several of my friends and co-workers live there, too.

More info on Midtown:
Midtown Sacramento - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is stupendous news about the UC Shuttle. Thanks! Does the medical center allow parking for those taking the shuttle bus to Davis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento