Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 AM

27 posts, read 52,187 times

Advertisements

Where would you live - keeping these things in mind?

--you would be renting an apartment
--you don't want to get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic (too often)
--like hike in Folsom 3 times a week
--would rather be close to 50 than 80
--want easy access to Roseville
--don't want the apartment to be on a crazy-busy throughfare (like Hazel)
--would be nice to have a Parks and Rec to workout at

I live in Carmichael now and although it's central, it takes 45 minutes to get to the places I go. I don't have family or a job that pulls in in any direction.

Folsom was my first choice.... until last night. I was leaving Sutter street and there was an accident so I couldn't get back to 50 so I took the bridge and it was crowded at 8:00 at night. So I'm rethinking my move to Folsom and am considering Roseville, Citrus Heights, Orangevale. Is Folsom a maze or was it just because I'm not familiar with that area?

What would you do?

Last edited by tialia; 04-01-2011 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 05:27 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tialia View Post

I live in Carmichael now and although it's central, it takes 45 minutes to get to the places I go. I don't have family or a job that pulls in in any direction.

Folsom was my first choice.... until last night. I was leaving Sutter street and there was an accident so I couldn't get back to 50 so I took the bridge and it was crowded at 8:00 at night. So I'm rethinking my move to Folsom and am considering Roseville, Citrus Heights, Orangevale. Is Folsom a maze or was it just because I'm not familiar with that area?

What would you do?
There are only a few bridges across the river to get to 50. That makes the bridges very crowded during rush house, and also when an accident blocks the other routes. It's definitely something to consider when choosing a place to live. We were thinking about Auburn or Granite Bay when we moved here, but there was too much traffic coming across the bridges to get across 50 to my husband's work.

I"m not sure where you were or where the accident was, but there are a number of ways to get to 50 from Folsom if you know the area well. Crossing the bridge isn't one of the routes I would take, unless headed up to Roseville or somewhere in that direction.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:24 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
This is how sprawl works. It's a big, low-density area with lots of single family homes and almost no public transit, so traffic is going to be horrible if you want to travel back and forth between lots of very distant locations. Either get used to spending lots of time in the car or start looking for a place closer to work, and alternate places to do your hiking near that point.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
the apartments off of Auburn FOlsom just by the dam road (the east side of Auburn Folsom) would be pretty good for you, or there are some in American River Canyon. The ones in ARC include a primitive gym I think, and the other one is very easy access

Folsom gets extra tricky traffic wise once you get on east bidwell so avoid that.

If you do move to the south side of the bridge(s), then find something accessible from Folsom BLVD and traffic is moves better.

But staying to the north of the river is going to shave quite a bit of time off of a commute to rsvl

Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
You just don't know how to get in and out of Carmichael.

I don't think it has ever taken me more than 15 minutes under the worst conditions to get to US-50 from your location. Usually it is about 7-10 minutes (4 miles). About 7-10 minutes to I-80.

Fair Oaks Blvd does have a problem with accidents. People want to drive freeway speeds through that area, try to cut through neighborhoods thinking it is going to net them some time by adding another three miles to the trip, get frustrated, then run into someone.

I swear the developers got together so they could coordinate every street to feed into a main artery that will take people directly to the retail-zoned areas.

Renting in Folsom will probably be expensive. Finding a good place to rent in Orangevale will be difficult, and you will have to hit the US-50 traffic at Hazel, or drive through Folsom to head up to Placerville.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:27 AM

290 posts, read 544,599 times
If you are looking to rent an apt, I lived at willow springs apts in Folsom for a while. Nice location in a very nice neighborhood. Easy access to Highway 50. Shopping nearby, No crazy traffic. They are a bit pricey though. Their rents have gone up quite a bit since I've moved out.

Last edited by webdev; 04-02-2011 at 12:51 AM..

Old 04-02-2011, 04:59 AM

27 posts, read 52,187 times
Your'e definately right about me not knowing the ins and out of Folsom. I found a few apartments for $850.00 a month, near Sutter st, that I could definately live in. I just wondering if I will feel 'stuck' if I move there.

Everyone says they love folsom but I wonder if that has more to do with their wealth, ie: owning a home, having a family, good-paying job, etc

I was raised in Sacramento and want to 'see how the other half lives'. It's time for a change and I do ned to save on gas so I thought why not. My only job these days is to get and stay physically healthy. That's why I was thinking of the trails in Folsom. I feel calm when I'm hiking. And the it just looks junky here in Carmishael where I live. When I go to Folsom, Roseville, it just feels calm, like there's more air there.

As I type this I hear the alley cats that have infiltrated the apartment complex.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,444 times
Default Hey

Just because there is an accident doesn't mean that it's not the bast place to live that could happen anywhere. I love Folsom there are many ways to get to Folsom blared or the freeway you don't have to go that way. To get to Roseville I take glen to natoma and go over the dam road it's way faster way to get to Folsom blvd. do your home work lol it would be way nicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tialia View Post

What would you do?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
I've lived in Folsom now for about 2 years, the first year was in an apartment. I lived in the Ironpoint at Prairie City apartments. I paid about $1230 for an upstairs, primo, 2 bedroom apartment. Most of the apartments in Folsom are tucked away into neighorhoods. Mine was at the corner of 2 major roads, very close to the freeway & between 3 schools (that was a nightmare going to work in the am), but it was very quiet. And easy access to great trails.

Yes, there is lots of wealth in Folsom, but it doesn't seem to be any different than other parts of Sacramento. Folsom is actually very close to my job, and I have family here, so it was an easy decision to me. It had nothing to do with the wealth of the community. I would have stayed in East Sac Fab 40's if that was a biggy for me. I did a lot of research, and looked at many communities. I've noticed there is a very strong sense of community here. And it's an outdoorman's haven. People are far more friendly than those I met, throughout the course of my day, in other neighorhoods & on the job.

There are multiple ways back to Hwy 50 from Sutter St. It sounds like you just haven't discovered them yet. I've also noticed that there is an increase of traffic around Sutter St right now, and there is construction once again on Riley & Greenback, so it just adds to the bottleneck.

I travel to Roseville/Granite Bay once a week from El Dorado Hills, and I go the back way, down Green Valley, to E Natoma then to the Folsom Lake Crossing & up Folsom-Auburn Rd (now 2-lanes & MUCH faster). It's an easy 20-25 minute drive even at 5 pm.

I'd recommend that you drive around the different neighborhoods you are considering at different times of the day & night, talk to people, and get a feel for the different areas. You'll figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento