Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,685 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a husband and father of four. I will be entering seminary in a year. One of the seminaries I am able to attend is "City Sacramento Seminary".

I live in Lincoln, NE. But have lived in Denver, Phoenix and Salt Lake City.

Can you recommend any affordable areas for rental homes for a family of six? Safe and cheap.

On craigslist I noticed Auburn is a ways out but had some available. I also saw Cameron Park did as well.

Is it even possible to find a rental home that is 900/month in a safe area? I'm not too concerned about the distance.

Last question. How is the job market? I am former law enforcement. I will most likely be entering a new field. Are there jobs available?

Thank you.

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
The job market here is very very bad. If you don't have a job lined up you're in for an uphill battle.

Your best bet for proximity to the school (in Land Park, a very pricey neighborhood) might be West Sacramento, just across the Sacramento River. $900/month for a house with 4 kids is stretching it and then some--that's more like 1br apartment rent in these parts.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 12,499 times
Auburn is very cute for families. It's a small-ish town with an old-timey feel to it. There's ample affordable rental housing all over the Sacramento area - I think if you're looking for a newer home with lots of square footage and a two-car garage, $900 is pushing it, but I think if you look in suburban areas, there are a lot of places to rent these days.

Cameron Park is probably more affordable than Auburn, but I don't know very much about it, sorry.

As it is everywhere, there are jobs if you're looking and meeting people. My workplace has some openings, but right now they're for experienced people. Occasionally, entry level jobs come open, and if you're good with attendance and you work hard, you can move up to something quite well-paying.

Sacramento has some tech jobs, some agricultural work and there are a lot of municipalities positions here. However, the governmental jobs are becoming increasingly difficult to enter as times here have made budgets tight.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 PM

54 posts, read 147,284 times
$900 will get an apartment, maybe. House? I don't think so. At least not in a nice area. Look at listings on Craigslist.org.
Safest areas are in Folsom, El Dorado Hills but are expensive to rent.
Auburn is a bad commute - hwy 80 at rush hour is horrendous. 40-45 minutes at odd hours, maybe.
If I were looking in town for a safe location, I would check out gated Westlake in Natomas, McKinley Park, William Land Park, East Sacramento, Tahoe Park.
Sacramento has pockets of safe areas next to unsafe areas. It is a patch-quilt of good and less desirable neighborhoods.
Overall, Sacramento's crime rate is very high. Per capita, it is out of proportion to other cities of its size and even larger.
I would pay more to get a safer place, even accepting a much smaller house/apt if necessary. It is worth it to me, anyway, to avoid the crime.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 PM

20 posts, read 49,443 times
You're looking at more like $1,200 a month for what you are talking about. West Sacramento is good advice I think, as are the better parts of Citrus Heights. Scour craigslist.org, that's your best resource.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt614 View Post
Hello. I am a husband and father of four. I will be entering seminary in a year. One of the seminaries I am able to attend is "City Sacramento Seminary".

I live in Lincoln, NE. But have lived in Denver, Phoenix and Salt Lake City.

Can you recommend any affordable areas for rental homes for a family of six? Safe and cheap.

On craigslist I noticed Auburn is a ways out but had some available. I also saw Cameron Park did as well.

Is it even possible to find a rental home that is 900/month in a safe area? I'm not too concerned about the distance.

Last question. How is the job market? I am former law enforcement. I will most likely be entering a new field. Are there jobs available?

Thank you.

David

There are a lot of unemployed people in California, so competition for jobs is fierce. However, jobs are available. You might check out job listings with the UC Davis Health System in Sacramento. Many of their jobs don't require a health care background and the benefits are the best you will ever find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento