Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM

467 posts, read 778,257 times

Advertisements

Wow, thank god for some of our gun laws lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 05:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
I have no problem prohibiting violent people from carrying firearms, I think they should be allowed guns in their home though..
Problems lie there. A few months later it can be reasoned to take with on small trips. Have to go target shooting, etc,,
These are often people who had a problem with reasoning before, hence their arrest.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:47 PM

70 posts, read 234,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I don't think you understand how it works. My son is a felon. He can go down the corner park in Nashville and by a gun today. He can buy guns from private owners all over town, because they do not do background checks. The crime is in POSSESSING it. And if you are caught with all the Amish found weapons you so happily purchased, make no mistake, you will be going to prison.
Not only can you not OWN a gun, in most states, you cannot even reside in a house where someone ELSE owns one.. nor can you ride in a car where someone is carrying a legally permitted gun.
Really? What if my brother is a felon, and my husband is a cop, and we are all going somewhere together? Is there an exception for that?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbeachbum View Post
Really? What if my brother is a felon, and my husband is a cop, and we are all going somewhere together? Is there an exception for that?
Ask your husband, the cop! Don't know about the riding in a car with someone armed (Section 12021 of the Penal Code doesn't address it so I doubt it's applicable) but decidedly cannot live in a house with firearms of which you have knowledge and to which you have access. The code does cover both actual and constructive possession.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ask your husband, the cop! Don't know about the riding in a car with someone armed (Section 12021 of the Penal Code doesn't address it so I doubt it's applicable),,.
The felon can not be in the company of someone armed. Snoop Dawg was arrested and cited as his body guards were armed.

I am pretty sure if in the car with a officer it would not apply.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 PM

70 posts, read 234,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ask your husband, the cop! Don't know about the riding in a car with someone armed (Section 12021 of the Penal Code doesn't address it so I doubt it's applicable) but decidedly cannot live in a house with firearms of which you have knowledge and to which you have access. The code does cover both actual and constructive possession.
I said "what if" as in hypothetical. I was just curious, as I'm sure ocassionally there are cops who have family members whom are felons.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa.perry08 View Post
Look, I don't want you all to think that I don't appreciate every answer given to me, because I do. I've made ONE mistake in my life, and are paying for it dearly. My life, job, finances and a million other things are not, nor, will ever be the same. I really just wanted to know what my options are.

What I really don't appreciate, is the way people treat you like dirt. You all have NO IDEA what went on in my life at the time. I made the mistake. I've paid my dues, and I am a productive member of society. (boy, I can't wait to hear your responses on that one!) I am adult enough to be able to face what lies ahead because of the mistake (SINGULAR, NOT PLURAL) that I made. I was the one who made the mistake, but I should NOT have my right to bear arms taken away. So WTF...if the world were to be attacked for some reason, I do not have the right to defend myself whatsoever?? I realize that the recidivism rate of people who commit crimes is high, but, contrary to what you may believe, we are not all bad people. I'm probably your neighbor and you love me... wouldn't that just chap your ass...
Glad you've turned your life around. Glad you're a productive member of society.

Doesn't change the fact that you committed a felony. And now you pay the price. Knowing the consequences of your drug activity would result in these consequences didn't change your behavior at all. Should have made better decisions.

As for this "one mistake" - that was the one and only time you did the offense? Really? Let's be honest here. This was the "one" time you got caught. How many other crimes did you commit during that time without getting caught? And if you hadn't been arrested, would you still be living that life? Likely.

You should be grateful that this wakeup call came, and you are now a better person. Not being able to own a gun is a small price to pay, I'd think.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 AM

44 posts, read 91,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, you are banned forever from owning a firearm. Your only recourse is to TRY and obtain a pardon; however, I am still not even sure you could still own a firearm. You need to contact a competent attorney, which handles expungement's, etc.

However, getting the fed's to expunge such a record, well, all I can say is good luck. And, personally, you knew what you were doing then and didn't care. Why should anyone care about you owning a firearm now? I sure as heck don't and hope you never can.
Agree! I am not a felon and certainly not obsessed with owning a firearm. Makes you wonder why the OP is so taken up with the notion of self defense, doesn't it?

Old 08-18-2012, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 14,571 times
So, just a quick update for those "words of wisdom" given to a convicted felon.. My life has never been better. I moved out of California as quickly as the ink dried on my probation release papers (which, by the way, was granted one year early due to exemplary behavior). I now reside in another state and have started my own business.

Things happen in peoples lives that we have no control over. The way we try and cope with these difficulties may not always be the right choice for the individual, however, we pick up, and, move on. Whether we choose to continue to do bad, or, go on for the greater good, is a personal choice, but it's much easier with a great support group. I won't dispute, nor, condemn any negative answers given to me, but honestly, it seems that given your professions, you are trained to always assume the negative. Granted, I realize that you need to be on your guard for your own personal safety, but for cripes sakes, go with your gut and assess the situation before continually condemning us for our past mistake. How can any felon EVER make a better life for themselves if society is always persecuting them for their wrongs??? Am I going to be treated like a criminal when I get pulled over for speeding when I'm 75???

Old 08-18-2012, 03:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa.perry08 View Post
So, just a quick update for those "words of wisdom" given to a convicted felon.. My life has never been better. I moved out of California as quickly as the ink dried on my probation release papers (which, by the way, was granted one year early due to exemplary behavior). I now reside in another state and have started my own business.

Things happen in peoples lives that we have no control over. The way we try and cope with these difficulties may not always be the right choice for the individual, however, we pick up, and, move on. Whether we choose to continue to do bad, or, go on for the greater good, is a personal choice, but it's much easier with a great support group. I won't dispute, nor, condemn any negative answers given to me, but honestly, it seems that given your professions, you are trained to always assume the negative. Granted, I realize that you need to be on your guard for your own personal safety, but for cripes sakes, go with your gut and assess the situation before continually condemning us for our past mistake. How can any felon EVER make a better life for themselves if society is always persecuting them for their wrongs??? Am I going to be treated like a criminal when I get pulled over for speeding when I'm 75???
No one ever said it was going to be easy, Teresa. But then, no one ever said it was wise to commit a felony. Life is full of choices. It also happens to be full of consequences. I don't buy that we law enforcement people whether active, former or retired are "trained" to assume negatives about others. They kind of grow on you after years of immersion in and dealing with criminal elements. It's simply the nature of the beast.

I'm delighted that you have relocated and appear to be doing well. Keep up the good work. You're on your way to being one of the success stories and that can give us all hope. Many others follow a similar road, including one of my sons. Unfortunately, many others don't. Thus our wariness. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento