Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
They took our jobs!
Has anyone else seen the Southpark episode where this is the whole catch phrase? I love that episode....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 12:55 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell802 View Post
I am looking for nail services done by Americans. Any suggestions in Roseville or surrounding areas? Thanks.
So back to the OP. I think she means Caucasian's who speak clear English. I want to know also.... in or near Folsom.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
So back to the OP. I think she means Caucasian's who speak clear English. I want to know also.... in or near Folsom.
You're really not helping.

Define "clear" English for one, and two, how much "clear English" do you need to get your nails done? Unless you have a custom design you wanted airbrushed in gold foil, with gloss coating imported from Brazil that absolutely has to be flawless, a simple show-them-your-two-hands and saying "Do nails" should get you somewhere.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 AM

62 posts, read 187,940 times
Care to define exactly what you mean by "American"?....sounds like your definition is basically just a cryptic racist view

Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM

22 posts, read 52,241 times
Maybe the OPs wording was not the best by asking for an american, but i understand exactly what she meant.
It is so frustrating to pay money for a service only to be completely ignored by the nail tech because they would rather speak another language with their co workers.
Nail techs like these think that their clients will never know that they are talking about them because they dont know the language.
Well it doesnt matter if the nail tech is talking about them or not, the damage is already done and the customer is uncomfortable enough to go to another salon.
If it was a good service, they would be able to charge more.
If i cant get in to my regular nail tech and i have to go to one of these chop shops I can usually stop them from talking around me completely.
I just wait for them to start and i listen for them for a minute and then when there is a break in their conversation and giggles, I say "Hibbbity, Hibbity, Hibbity, Ha!" and then I giggle.
It gets the point across that I do not feel comfortable being spoken about or around, in any language.
Its like when 2 people sit in front of you and whisper, it is rude. You shouldnt pay for a service and feel like the tech is rude.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 PM

And that is exactly why there are taquerias and there is Taco Bell. You want the ethnic food and cheap prices, but minus the ethnicity. And when you find out there is 30% beef in your tacos, you lose it.

If you want someone to ask how your day is going and listen to how hard your shopping day has gone, and are willing to pay more for it, that is fine and perhaps that is what the op is looking for. But simply going by the notion that anyone of ethnic diversity can't perform as well and are "chop shops" is simply wrong. You might be surprised to find that most owners of salons (at least the ones I know) are Caucasians and second or third generation Asian Americans and they simply hire or sublet out their spots and take a share of the earnings. Guess they can't speak English working on your nails, but somehow they managed to fill out a business application, run a successful business and pay their taxes to someone who apparently does speak English.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:33 PM

22 posts, read 52,241 times
No, they can speak english. And it has nothing to do with their intelligence or who owns the place.
It is their customer service that sucks.
If you do a set of nails, regardless of the type, under an hour and use a powered file instead of manually filing, then yes, it is a chop shop.
I do not know of any to recommend to the OP, i was just letting her know that I understand what she meant.
Twist my words however you would like, call me a racist if you prefer.
I have experienced poor customer service at all 3 local salons that are run by Viatnemese immigrants. I refuse to go back there, so I pay an extra $5 and go to a white girl who knows how to do nails well and treat her customers great.
If you have no idea what the OP is talking about because you have never been in that situation then I have no idea where you get off passing judgement.

She wants a white girl to do her nails?! OMG, she must be racist!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 AM

So you've been to 3 "bad" Asian nails salon. That simply qualifies anyone being Asian and owning a nail salon as being chop shops?

What guarantees do you have that a "white girl" and $5 more will get you what you want?

My sister owns and runs three successful nail salons and all of her clientele are largely Caucasians. Her rates are much higher than most of her competitors, but she still maintains a good amount of traffic. And yes, she is Asian.

No one is calling anyone a racist, but to say that "Asians don't get it" is the wrong approach. Do you ever wonder why almost EVERY single nail salon you see are run by Asians? Let that sink in a bit . . . it's because they get it. Asians dominate the nail salon because their service and rates beat most others. Sure you might get a few bad ones here and there, but largely they still rule for what is offered.

Judge someone by their merits and quality, not on their race or ability to "speak clear English." Had the OP asked to "recommend me a good nail salon with good pricing and service," you'll probably get a lot more responses from people rather than the one post saying "here's one that is white, but I don't know if they're any good."

Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
Had the OP asked to "recommend me a good nail salon with good pricing and service," you'll probably get a lot more responses
I agree.

I also think it would have been fine to ask for recommendations of salons where the manicurists talk to the customers, instead of just chatting with each other. I don't care what language the conversation is in, if they're more interested in talking to each other, and leave me out of the conversation, that's not fun for me! A little of that is understandable and fine, but if it's more than that, I probably won't go back...

Old 09-03-2011, 10:58 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Ok, so then, now that we've redefined the OP's question..... where in the communities surrounding Sacramento, like Roseville or Folsom, is there a "good nail salon with good pricing and great service"? Names please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento