Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,604 times

Advertisements

I don't think the problems here is really the street patterns. The problem is that we just hate the suburban homes that line them. I'm sure if we had the same street patterns packed with density or skyscrapers, most everyone here would love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
By all means every street should be arrow straight.
Yeah, kinda like the streets winding through the little boxes made of ticky-tacky all crowded together in the flood plains they call suburbia, right? Talk about uninmaginative mazes. But available in any one of several colors as long as you like tan and various shapes and sizes as long as you like stucco and can live with one of three or four floor plans as well as labor-saving devices like postage stamp front and rear yards.

Do people really consider that living when you have to pull in your shoulders to walk between your house and your neighbor's and the prominant frontal feature is your garage (aka: snout houses)?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Most of the suburbs east and northeast of Sacramento aren't subject to flooding. It is the suburbs immediately around Sacramento that have the potential of flooding.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
What can I say? I wish Sac was more urban too.
I have to admit, so do I. But to be fair, I understand that high traffic volume might not have been as much of a concern back when some areas were being planned, as it has become today.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
All of the streets snake all over the place and none of them connect, you can only get in and out of neighborhoods through major artieals, and every path you can take from destination to destination takes twice as long as it should.

And did I mention the traffic?
It reduces the ability to speed through the neighborhood, reduces need (and maintenance) of speed bumps and stop signs, and prevents commuters from cutting through, reducing noise. They are designed to get people home, not to be thoroughfares.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 AM

306 posts, read 603,714 times
To tell you the truth that is how most of Sacramento is in my opinion, very suburban. I just recently had to take a state test in Rancho Cordova and got lost even though I had the directions in hand. The streets seem to curve (for no good reason) and intersections at times were not of the traditional approach. It didn't surprise me to see that downtown Rancho is nothing but an office park, what a joke. Sacramento is literally surrounded by places like this.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
There was (and to some extent still is) a school of thought that curved, irregular streets are more soothing to the human soul than street grids, even though a grid is simpler and more navigable. Speed and traffic control are other reasons often cited, although typically suburban streets (even residential) are so wide and smoothly curved that cars can speed through them with relative ease, while a properly-designed grid street, with narrow lanes, parking and bike lanes, limits driving speeds more effectively. Grid systems also distribute traffic among multiple routes--and being able to select different routes, rather than the same way every time, makes walking and biking more enjoyable as well as more efficient. Some suburban lot plans deliberately had limited access points (like River Park, which only has two roads leading in or out) in order to limit access to a group I will refer to as "Those People."

There is no rhyme or reason to most suburban street design plans because they were typically built outside the city limits in order to avoid city regulation--then the city later grew to include the suburb, and had to graft the new street plan onto the existing street system in some haphazard fashion. They are also often designed to minimize the amount of land used by streets, in order to sell more housing lots on the same original lot, but at the cost of ease of access.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah, kinda like the streets winding through the little boxes made of ticky-tacky all crowded together in the flood plains they call suburbia, right? Talk about uninmaginative mazes. But available in any one of several colors as long as you like tan and various shapes and sizes as long as you like stucco and can live with one of three or four floor plans as well as labor-saving devices like postage stamp front and rear yards.

Do people really consider that living when you have to pull in your shoulders to walk between your house and your neighbor's and the prominant frontal feature is your garage (aka: snout houses)?
They must, so many of them live there. Major reason I live in the country.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
They must, so many of them live there. Major reason I live in the country.
Major reason we live in the country as well - room to stretch and breathe.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:08 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
...A properly-designed grid street, with narrow lanes, parking and bike lanes, limits driving speeds more effectively. Grid systems also distribute traffic among multiple routes--and being able to select different routes, rather than the same way every time, makes walking and biking more enjoyable as well as more efficient.
...There is no rhyme or reason to most suburban street design plans because they were typically built outside the city limits in order to avoid city regulation--then the city later grew to include the suburb, and had to graft the new street plan onto the existing street system in some haphazard fashion. They are also often designed to minimize the amount of land used by streets, in order to sell more housing lots on the same original lot, but at the cost of ease of access.
This is what I had to learn to appreciate, in the interest of fairness, coming from a huge traffic-oriented grid like Los Angeles. Thanks again
Mr. Burg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento