Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
And one of the lowest property tax rates in the country due to prop 13.
Not really true... at least not in my city.

The Statewide rate of 1% on full value at the time of transfer is low... then you need to add all the local additional assessments... which equates to a 1.6% tax rate for me...

California's median property taxes paid is not low... it is skewed towards the high side... so in terms of dollars collected... the State does OK when compared to the 49 others...

http://www.taxfoundation.org/UserFiles/Image/maps/property_tax.png (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:44 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Why are people so afraid to work while in College? I worked full time and had a full load for a while but usually worked full time and went to school part time. It took longer but I financed it myself.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Yes I know no one is stopping me, that's why I plan to vote for the tax increases when it comes up on the ballot. And why do you say raising taxes on the rich won't accomplish anything? It would save another round of cuts or restore some funding. Just because you don't want to pay taxes doesn't mean it won't have an effect on tuition.

Do you have any evidence that large amounts of money is being squandered by school administrators? The tuition hikes have been directly related to the decreased funding for school every year for the past decade.

The "cut the fat" is a straw man argument people like the make about the budget (both at the state and federal level) because it doesn't mean anything and is a distraction.
Sounds like someone needs to go back to school and learn what the term strawman means since no one is using that argument here.

The cost of education has gone up while tax revenues have declined. Colleges are always hungry for more money, maintenance, expanded facilities, and the competitive nature between schools to bring in the best and brightest, this doesn't occur without tuition hikes. That's why raising taxes on the rich won't accomplish anything. Taxes hikes on the wealthy aren't going to magically reduce tuition while increasing the value of a student's degree.

Besides, rich people have a pretty good grasp on how to legally stash their funds away from the taxman, this is one of the ways they stay rich.

We fund gold-plated pensions for public sector union workers, we fund the social safety net, and we already tax the hell out of the wealthy to pay for it all. So how that working out? Somehow it's never enough. If we're still needing cuts and tax increases after all of that, perhaps it's time to rethink our spending.

And no, repealing Prop. 13 isn't the answer either. Creating more renters is just insanity.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Didn't Jobs drop out after one semester of higher education?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Some reasons college costs have escalated but aren't mentioned

1. First year dropouts. May not even be their fault. There is this insistence that everyone go to college. Offer the same state financial assistance for trade schools.

2. People taking 5 or 6 years to get an undergrad degree. Perhaps only subsidize the first 4 years.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Something for nothing? It's a investment in the future and the students actually have to work hard to get their degree (or they are kicked out of school). Do you know why California economy is bigger than a lot of first world countries? It isn't from the "whats mine is mine" attitude, it was from having excellent publicly funded education system California has. We are tax payers invest in education the next Steve Jobs, and in return we have 1000's of high tech jobs and all of the economic benefit that comes along with it.

Hardly something for nothing.
Steve Jobs dropped out of college. So much for the excellent system that did him no good. Instead, he used the brains he was born with to create something great.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Yes I know no one is stopping me, that's why I plan to vote for the tax increases when it comes up on the ballot. And why do you say raising taxes on the rich won't accomplish anything? It would save another round of cuts or restore some funding. Just because you don't want to pay taxes doesn't mean it won't have an effect on tuition.

Do you have any evidence that large amounts of money is being squandered by school administrators? The tuition hikes have been directly related to the decreased funding for school every year for the past decade.

The "cut the fat" is a straw man argument people like the make about the budget (both at the state and federal level) because it doesn't mean anything and is a distraction.
So you're all for raising OTHER PEOPLE'S TAXES, but didn't address how much of your own money you'll be sending to the state to help "Fund the Future".

I didn't see anywhere in our argument that the highly paid administrators are taking pay cuts....

Old 03-05-2012, 04:24 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:

OK, how about this staffing analysis I did in another California thread a few months ago:

...I went and took a look at the Cal Davis staffing levels, trying to understand why the cost of college continues to significantly outpace inflation. I know some of it is the result of lower funding from government(s), but I wanted to see if some cost cutting was taking place to at least try and minimize the need to increase student costs.

Looking at the staffing levels (full time equivalents) for the past decade or so at Cal Davis:

2010 - Academic Staff was 6,233.9 (including 2,168.9 student assistants), Support Staff was 14,207.9

2008 - Academic Staff was 5,950.0 (including 2,145.9 student assistants), Support Staff was 14,210.2

2006 - Academic Staff was 5,775.7 (including 2,049.4 student assistants), Support Staff was 13,691.3

2004 - Academic Staff was 5,793.5 (including 2,053.5 student assistants), Support Staff was 12,965.5

2002 - Academic Staff was 5,507.8 (including 1,943.6 student assistants), Support Staff was 12,330.9

2000 - Academic Staff was 4,910.8 (including 1,733.9 student assistants), Support Staff was 11,546.8

http://www.ucop.edu/ucophome/uwnews/...010/er1dvf.pdf (broken link)

http://www.ucop.edu/ucophome/uwnews/...008/er1dvf.pdf (broken link)

http://www.ucop.edu/ucophome/uwnews/...006/er1dav.pdf (broken link)

Statistical Summary: Personnel Tables - October 2004

Statistical Summary: Personnel Tables - October 2002

Statistical Summary: Personnel Tables - October 2000

So, what is obvious to me is that support personnel have grown rather significantly during the past decade, an increase of over 2,600 folks.

Has Cal Davis really done a very good job of analyzing their support cost, and identifying where critical reductions could be made?

//www.city-data.com/forum/21794917-post47.html

Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why are people so afraid to work while in College? I worked full time and had a full load for a while but usually worked full time and went to school part time. It took longer but I financed it myself.
I had a double major and worked full time... no student loans or grants...

Did run into a lot of older students using the GI bill or company education benefit...

The GI Bill did more for education then any single government program in history... and it is still an option.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Steve Jobs dropped out of college. So much for the excellent system that did him no good. Instead, he used the brains he was born with to create something great.
Know a one man sewer rooter company... the guy is a workaholic and one of the nicest guys you will every meet... he doesn't even advertise except on his van... makes about 110k a year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: