Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times

Advertisements

Thinking of buying there. Anyone know if earthquake insurance is usually purchased by LOP homeowners? I did live in Sac several years ago and didn't buy it, but Sac's low earthquake risk may be different than that in southern Nevada County. Also, anyone familiar with utility costs there, at least as compared to other areas? They need to use propane gas (renting tanks, I believe), which I've only bought in the past for thingsj like barbeques. Obviously the exact monthly costs vary by individual, so I'm asking in general how they compare with other areas (e.g., places on natural gas lines). I did call the local fire district (Higgins), and was told the fire danger in the development is quite low (ISO 4), which is good for property insurance costs. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 01:46 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
p.s. this from City Data (for Auburn): "Auburn-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below California state average. It is 337% greater than the overall U.S. average." The only listed quakes, however, occurred 75+ miles away.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
The areas near here that use propane gas pay about the same, and sometimes slightly less, than for natural gas. But it really is location and supplier dependent.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
The areas near here that use propane gas pay about the same, and sometimes slightly less, than for natural gas. But it really is location and supplier dependent.
Wow, personally never heard of that being the case.

Propane Prices | Compare Propane Prices shows some propane prices per gallon. (FYI to the OP, you can search by specific counties, which might give you an idea about LOP.) The lowest, at least on page one, is in the neighborhood of $1.40 per gallon. That's compared to about $1/therm I pay to PG&E. A gallon of propane is about 91,000 Btu's. One therm is about 100,000 Btu's.

Both are going to be a little volatile. I'd guess natural gas prices will probably increase and stabilize, but stay the cheapest fossil fuel per Btu in the USA for the foreseeable future.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:06 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Natural gas is actually different than propane. Natural gas is lighter than air and propane is heavier.

I paid 2.29/gallon for my last propane delivery.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
The communities here that use propane gas are densly packed (cheaper delivery) and the HOAs have deals with the propane companies that rival the natural gas prices.

That's why I think it's very location dependent.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Natural gas is actually different than propane. Natural gas is lighter than air and propane is heavier.

I paid 2.29/gallon for my last propane delivery.
Right, which was why I compared Btu's to Btu's, which is apples to apples assuming both fuels are burned in furnaces of equal efficiency. Your propane is about 2 to 2.5 times the cost of natural gas I get from PG&E, per Btu.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:53 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Right, which was why I compared Btu's to Btu's, which is apples to apples assuming both fuels are burned in furnaces of equal efficiency. Your propane is about 2 to 2.5 times the cost of natural gas I get from PG&E, per Btu.
Oh Sure...rub it in.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:42 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
p.s. this from City Data (for Auburn): "Auburn-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below California state average. It is 337% greater than the overall U.S. average." The only listed quakes, however, occurred 75+ miles away.
I've only ever had earthquake insurance in one place (here in Palm Springs) which costs $16/mo on top of my other policies, but it did enhance my multi-policy discount just a smidgen so my additional outlay was a bit less than $16/mo. When I lived in Sac, I don't recall my insurance agent ever mentioning earthquake insurance even though it's theoretically available there - but it was darned near the first words out of my agent here ("Hello... get earthquake insurance.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento