Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 11,124 times

Advertisements

At the time of signing a lease, my prospective landlord said it was my responsiblity to pay for and install Carbon Monoxide detectors. Come to find out it is their responsiblity to do this. I asked them to install them before we move in. But I have not gotten a response-called and left a message and emailed. I have not given them a deposit yet or 1st months rent. What are my options, I want a safe house for my family to live in. And think they may not be very good landlords if they are not willing to make the house safe. California law states they must have them installed in single family home with garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
It is a law that owners must put in a carbon monoxide detector. I woul be concerned about wha type of landlords they will be if they won't put in a $25 CO2 detector to protect you and comply with the law. Especially if they said you are responsible.

BUT if it's a good place, at the right rent, why not spend the $25 for a plug in unit or replace a smoke detector with a CO2/smoke detector?

Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 PM

That's what concerns me, why wouldn't they put one in. I don't really think that is too much to ask for. Why lie and say it was our responsibility. Even more worry some to me is there has been no response to my call or email. That shows me that if there is a "real" issue I will be on my own to. I want a landlord that cares about the property and will do their part in maintaining it as I will do the same. And actually it would be more then one, they are suppose to be infront of all bed rooms (4)and both levels of the home, I thought thats what I read? So more like $100.00+ we would spend on putting them in I figure. We are moving a long distance, and don't want to fork out more money when we don't have to. We want a house ready to go.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,341,708 times
Wow your landlord does not sound like a trustworthy person. I got a First Alert plug in unit for less than $20 at Walmart. At the very least he/she should tell you to go ahead and get one and deduct the cost from your next rental payment. At a minimum you want one on each floor. The setup you mentioned is ideal. The rooms in my home are close so I just installed one by the rooms and one down the the hall as a backup.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:53 PM

210 posts, read 269,177 times
Yeah that sounds very shady. As a landlord myself, it was one the easiest things to do to get the property ready. As others have said, if they are giving you issues with something as minor as this, I worry what your future there would be like should something more pressing need attention. PM me if you are looking for other housing options and I might be able to help out.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Or perhaps your landlord just doesn't know. Is this a new landlord (by default cuz he can't sale the home), or a slumlord with multiple properties....only you can decide if this is a make or break situation. If it were me, I'd send him the regulations. I'd offer to buy them myself if he didn't want to, but tell him I'd be taking the cost off my 1st months rent.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
You were wondering what your rights were before you rented, you might want to check out the California Landlord Tenant Handbook from the Department of Consumer Affairs. Its clear, not a lot of legalese, and its free to read and download.

Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 PM

So now they said they put the carbon monoxide detector in, but are making it difficult for us to move it (not being to fexible on time). And since this was an issue I started doing some digging on them, and it appears they are in preforclosure on the house. Can I just walk away and tell them I dont want to rent from them. Seeing how all contracts require consideration (something of value...usually money) to be given to consumate the least contract and I never gave them money. Or am I stuck renting from them.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Pre-foreclosure?? I'd cancel & run.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,341,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
pre-foreclosure?? I'd cancel & run.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento