Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
It isn't the water. It is the minerals in the water. Some areas use groundwater. Depending on the local geology, there may be caclium, salts, or other minerals that crystallize on surfaces when the water evaporates.
Agreed, more of an issue in areas that use groundwater than those with Sac River water, which is much softer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
It isn't the water. It is the minerals in the water. Some areas use groundwater. Depending on the local geology, there may be caclium, salts, or other minerals that crystallize on surfaces when the water evaporates.
Yes, but you need to have a compromised clear coat to begin to even have a problem.

On the other hand, my Volvo is from Galt. It's clear coat died a horrible sun-related death before I bought it

Old 10-11-2012, 02:44 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,305,056 times
If you keep the car waxed, that will minimize the water spots from the neighbor's watering.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,584 times
I'm having a difficult time envisioning your driveway. I'm imagining a...2?...car garage, plus 4 spots in the driveway, including tandem configurations, so it seems like it may be possible to avoid the water. I personally would reach down and adjust the sprinkler head or talk to my neighbor about it. If that didn't work I would construct something really ugly to rebound the water and block it's path of travel. I'm thinking a cardboard display covered with tinfoil. Perhaps with a rebel flag design or a picture of a terrorist. Something offensive yet creative.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Yes, but you need to have a compromised clear coat to begin to even have a problem.

On the other hand, my Volvo is from Galt. It's clear coat died a horrible sun-related death before I bought it
As the minerals crystallize they will etch the clear coat and the paint is then subject to oxidization. It doesn't even have to go that far. You can see the water spots adhering to the clear coat, which makes it look dull long before it affects the paint.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How is the water deteriorating the paint? Here where we get 40" of rain over 9-10 months of the year all 3 of my cars stay outside and the paint is just fine.
Absolutely WRONG.

Understandable that you might think that, but rain water is completely different than sprinkler water in a very relevant way with respect to automotive paint damage, namely it is "hard water", which means that it has salts, calcium and magnesium carbonates much like the limescale deposits in an old kettle.

Rain water droplets are mineral-free condensates from atmospheric moisture which then precipitates. Rain water is generally benign to cars.

In contrast, sprinkler water, i.e. hard water, WILL ABSOLUTELY DAMAGE automotive clearcoats and the underlying paint, especially if left to evaporate in the sun which WILL bond the crystallized minerals to the clearcoat and damage it. If repeated, then the paint layer will also be damaged, and eventually the underlying metal will oxidize and rust. Sprinklers are very bad for car finishes, PERIOD.

Ask any car detailer about sprinklers and any with experience will tell you how damaging they are.
Unless you clean the hard sprinkler water off right away, expect some incremental damage.

Why believe a random post on the internet? Here is a link to a respected car care website that confirms what I am saying.

[url=http://www.carcare.org/2011/10/9-ways-to-ruin-your-paint-without-knowing-it/]9 Ways to Ruin Your Paint Without Knowing It - Be Car Care AwareBe Car Care Aware - CarCare.org[/url]

Old 09-04-2015, 12:16 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metasystem View Post
Why believe a random post on the internet? Here is a link to a respected car care website that confirms what I am saying.
LOL, good info from a 1st time poster on a 3 year old OP, if the info is true.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,258 times
Default Hard Water Spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_SAC View Post
My neighbor has his sprinkler on everyday which is not a problem. The problem is, my driveway and park area is next to his sprinkler and the sprinkler water gets on our cars everyday. The water causes water spots and slowly deteriorate the paint. Can i file a claim or do something about this?
Michael,
Check your zoning ordinances regarding water usage? If you’re in a drought sensitive area there may be some code violations that could address the situation.

We can relate. The Hard Water here creates spots on cars and windows that can only be removed with ammonia. No laughing matter, especially on a new car. I believe that corrosion would eventually occur.
Our neighbors sprinkler not only covers their lawn but also directly sprays our cars, driveway & sidewalk.
We kindly asked our former neighbor of 10 years, on a couple of occasions, to redirect their sprinkler heads. Basically, they laughed it off. (Life was ‘All about them’ anyways. If it didn’t affect them it didn’t matter). Awkward, since we had been neighborly friends throughout. We gave up after a few repeated requests.

Southern California went through some zoning changes during the draught, wherein they pretty much told people to report violators who were watering beyond alotted time and property lines. We did not report them and ended up living with it. I know, I know. Our fault. We should have, so don’t whine about it.
But NOW, we have a new owner/neighbor of that house to deal with who is watering EVERY SINGLE NIGHT instead of 2 times a week as the previous owners watered. We will NOT be so passive this time.
Good Luck with it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento