Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 AM

290 posts, read 544,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc6zlv View Post
before any tax increases we need to get a handle on city counsels giving themselves $30k a year raises, university administrators giving themselves raises while raising tuition, stadiums, arenas, and on and on.

The tax increases wouldn't bother people so much if they thought the money would be applied the way it should.
bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Alternative?

When I considered building a house in a marginal southern Tijuana neighborhood, I asked my real estate agent: Given the lack of police here, what protection will I have here?"

"Every neighborhood has a President, he collects donations from its residents, he erects Wanted Posters in the neighborhood, with reward $$, to help nab the offenders! Works quite well!"

Well, if it comes to that.............................................. ...it comes to that!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Or, we could, y'know, vote to raise taxes a small amount so we can afford more cops. Which is what we did, so hey, let's see how that works. If not, we can always go with the wanted posters...

Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Or, we could, y'know, vote to raise taxes a small amount so we can afford more cops. Which is what we did, so hey, let's see how that works. If not, we can always go with the wanted posters...
Well, the only trouble with wanted posters is they're put up after the fact and the crime has already occurred. But I guess that's no less pro-active than policing these days. Still, it will be interesting to see how much of the new taxes, if any, actually goes to increasing law enforcement. Let's hope so!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Well, that's what the "CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT" mentality gets you. The plan is a tax increase, which, of course, has the CUT CUT CUT crowd screaming bloody murder. They also scream bloody murder when they are told that a police officer won't visit your house when you are burglarized because of staffing cuts, and you just fill out a report online.

Without money, no, there is no plan. Citizens' groups are doing what they can to pay attention and bring attention where it is needed, but the fact is that we need higher taxes to pay for more cops.

In a nod towards reality, it is also easier (as in, not impossible) to get a CCW these days.
I don't know about Sac...but they may need pension reform. In San Jose, where I live, cops can retire as early as age 50, at 90% of their salary after 30 years, and they can cash in all of their unused sick leave at retirement (with no cap). Our outgoing police chief retired about 2 years ago with 300K in unused sick leave paid out. Several top ranking staff in the fire department also retired with over 200K in unused sick leave.

300K is enough money to keep a medium sized San Jose branch library open for a year (the libraries were severely cut).

San Jose voters passed pension reform but it is currently being challenged in the courts.

If the San Jose police and firefighters hadn't pushed for better pensions around the years 2000-2001 (going from 70% after 30 years to 90%), San Jose wouldn't be in its current predicament. The other unions also got pension enhancements, but not as much as the police & firefighters got.

Similar issues with sweetening pensions happened throughout California in the early 2000s, so I suspect similar things may have happened in Sac.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This really does concern me, however, since we have children, grandchildren and great grandchild still in Sacramento and environs. Perhaps it's my bias as a former peace officer but it seems to me that protection of the populace should be the prime consideration. That apparently it's going begging to some extent tells me it's not a priority of the city government. I guess sports teams are more important. Pity!
Your bias is showing on this one, Curmie. You're ignoring the fact that the police, firefighters and other unions throughout the state got really greedy and pushed for expensive pension benefit enhancements in the early 2000s. This even though everyone knew the Boomers were going to start retiring en masse in a few years.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't know about Sac...but they may need pension reform. In San Jose, where I live, cops can retire as early as age 50, at 90% of their salary after 30 years, and they can cash in all of their unused sick leave at retirement (with no cap). Our outgoing police chief retired about 2 years ago with 300K in unused sick leave paid out. Several top ranking staff in the fire department also retired with over 200K in unused sick leave.
Dangerous to derail into pension reform, but the only way to retire at 50 with 90% of salary is if you started with the police department at age 20. Sick leave is an earned benefit, so that is money owed to the officer, don't see much of a problem with it. It's also the exception, not the rule--the assumption that every cop retires with salaries and benefits like that simply doesn't match up to the reality. And part of why police asked for those benefits was in order to be able to afford living in horribly expensive places like San Jose!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,704 times
Just a note, that the 'crime billboards' in Stockton were put up by the police officers union..... more scare tactics to get (or retain) funding.

A sign of the crimes
A sign of the crimes | Recordnet.com
Police Officer Steve Leonesio, president of Stockton Police Officers Association, said about 20 more billboards are planned, a media buy he put at about $20,000.

The billboards appeared three days after a pivotal budget hearing at which the City Council declared a fiscal emergency, a legal measure intended to pry open existing labor contracts with firefighters and police.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Your bias is showing on this one, Curmie. You're ignoring the fact that the police, firefighters and other unions throughout the state got really greedy and pushed for expensive pension benefit enhancements in the early 2000s. This even though everyone knew the Boomers were going to start retiring en masse in a few years.
Oh my goodness. Both a former cop and a Boomer. What could be worse?

For the record, I think the retirement provisions are ridiculous. Yeah, it's hard work and can be risky. But compare the pay and benefits to what our military receives - also a former soldier here - and it's nothing less than an unsustainable gravy train that doesn't require 3-4 combat tours of duty and being on duty 24/7 with family separation, constant relocations, et al.

I side with cut-backs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento