Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 PM

5 posts, read 11,742 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So i'm a new grad late 20's comming into town...possibly, and I realize everyone says go down to san diego etc...but i have a great opportunity in Sacramento, and I wanted to see what you guys thought about the city for a young professional . From what I hear it's a suburban city with a slight bonus.
I'd literally be leaving everything behind and settleing in a new city which is not the worst thing, but I just wanted to know what the young professional scene is like in sacramento.....descent.....or non- existent? I've heard from friends who've said that don't worry about sacramento, you got san fran half an hour away...and that's what's important.....but at the same time, I want a place to chill on a random night and not have to make big plans to go out etc. What do you young professional dudes/and dudettes living in Sacramento think about a new single transplants to the city?

I'd love to have an honest review.

O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
San Francisco is more like 90 minutes-2 hours away, but there is plenty to do here (although SF is fun to visit.) Things in this city are definitely on the upswing. If by "great opportunity" you mean you already have a job lined up, you're way ahead of the game.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 AM

457 posts, read 1,183,010 times
Life is what you make of it. (to an extent of course)

I think Sacramento is great for family's and single grad's alike. It has a good night life and restaurant scene by my standards. I enjoy living in this area and when I used to go out at night there was definitely plenty of different places to go.

If I were you I would initially look into the mid town area. It's generally walking distance to numerous bars and restaurants and biking distance to most employers downtown.

I would say the average w/o much traffic travel time to SF is 2 hrs. With traffic more like 3 hours each way.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:09 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,654,121 times
Sacramento's of a size that most people can find plenty of what they're interested in. You won't find the super specific niche interests that you would in the San Francisco's of the world, but most interests and most demographics find plenty to do. It is nice that the Bay Area is close. Close enough that you can make day trips to see friends or a concert or even to hang out for the day, and that you can do visit via Amtrak. But there's certainly more to it than that. Good luck and let us know if you have any specific questions.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
If you really have a job offer you'd better take it and be grateful, considering you've made three major spelling errors in one brief post. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 11,742 times
Appreciate all the comments along with the snide remark. I guess i'm just concerned as I'm moving from DC, and though the job is a pretty good gig, I'm wondering about my social life, as I have lived in a smaller city (pittsburgh) before, and the lack of cultural diversity, and entertainment drained me. Smaller cities seem to generlly have drinking as their primary means of entertainment for younger people. Not that i'm opposed to that, but a some arts festival, and a more diverse entertainment district definately makes life more enriched.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
Arts festivals and diversity we have covered--there's some kind of festival pretty mich every weekend, sometimes more than one. Admittedly, some are based around drinking, like Beer Week, Cocktail Week and a couple of wine festivals. Just look for a place in the central city rather than the suburbs and it's easy to get hooked in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento