Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 PM

12 posts, read 12,077 times

Advertisements

Hi again!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on SAFE neighborhoods in Sacramento for a young (early 30's) African American couple. I've posted before on another issue and someone suggested Oak Park and Hollywood Park. Any additional suggestions? I'm having difficulty figuring out what the zip codes are for these areas. We have a big dog...restricted breed (Akita). Hopefully, looking to rent a house or townhouse so we have plenty of space, garage, washer/dryer, and access to freeways for my commute to Stockton for work. Also, it would be nice to live very close to Midtown. I work in a prison so after all of the stories I hear about on a daily basis....safety is my first priority...but suburban life in Elk Grove is slowly swallowing my soul.....any suggestions. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:43 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
Why not Midtown itself? The parts south of R (Poverty Ridge, Newton Booth) and north of H (Boulevard Park, New Era Park) are not cheap, but they are safe, comfortable and walkable, and there are houses and townhomes for rent. Another good choice might be Curtis Park, south of Broadway and generally west of Highway 99. These choices all put you close to 99 for commuting to Elk Grove.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:32 PM

I keep doing research on Sacramento and the crime rate just seems so ridiculous!!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:43 PM

That depends a lot on the neighborhood--it's a city of 100 square miles, and crime rates vary widely in that area. The central neighborhoods and those around the central city to south and east are actually pretty safe.Going north or southeast is a different story.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 PM

129 posts, read 530,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvee View Post
.but suburban life in Elk Grove is slowly swallowing my soul.....any suggestions. Thanks so much.
I hear ya! I relocated to Sac around 18 months ago. I was suggested Elk Grove by a coworker. So glad I chose Midtown! Elk Grove is the dictionary definition of suburban. Midtown is great!

Quote:
I keep doing research on Sacramento and the crime rate just seems so ridiculous!!
Crime rates around the Sacramento do seem a bit high, but here in Midtown/Land park, it is great. Safety is never an issue for me (of course I am a male, and a large one at that), but friends never see, unsafe. Sure safety precautions should be taken anywhere, but living in this area you will be fine. Oak Park has some sketchy areas, but also some really nice parts. If you are working in Stockton, you'll be in the heart of most of the crime, there's always something going on in Stockton. I would highly recommend Land Park, Midtown, or East Sac. All are very close to 99, which will get you to Stockton in 45-60 minutes.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:43 PM

Indeed--there are few neighborhoods in Sacramento where crime rates are as high as they are where you work in Stockton!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:40 AM

256 posts, read 367,656 times
Yeah, I've lived in midtown for a couple of decades and experienced almost no crime. There is a lot of property crime but even that is kind of overblown. (I also work in the criminal justice field, and I see a lot more of my felony cases come from Elk Grove and certainly Stockton than from downtown/midtown Sacramento!)

You would probably fit in just fine here in New Era Park. We have homeless people and the occasional car break-in, but I feel safe. Your commute will suck -- we are close to 99 but it's a parking lot at commute time -- but it's a trade off, of course, since you'll be close to a lot of other things and you can probably park the car all weekend.

Midtown is a good place for dogs. Lots of parks, the river, a dog park right here in Sutter's Landing.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Fantastic! Midtown it is. I'm definitely looking forward to the move. Elk Grove isn't terrible. It just does not fit my personality. Do you have any suggestions on where to look for places? I'm hoping for a townhouse...but at this point, I'm not in the position to be picky. In Long Beach, it was always best to just ride around the neighborhood and look for the "For Rent" signs rather than try to find something online. I've been looking on trulia, zillow, hotpads, and craigslist.

Also, do you have any cross street suggestions? I'm so new to the area...I don't even know if I really know how to get to midtown!! hahaha Maybe you can suggestion a restaurant or landmark and I just search the surrounding area?

Old 02-08-2015, 10:45 AM

888 posts, read 890,406 times
Quote:
Fantastic! Midtown it is. I'm definitely looking forward to the move. Elk Grove isn't terrible. It just does not fit my personality. Do you have any suggestions on where to look for places? I'm hoping for a townhouse...but at this point, I'm not in the position to be picky. In Long Beach, it was always best to just ride around the neighborhood and look for the "For Rent" signs rather than try to find something online. I've been looking on trulia, zillow, hotpads, and craigslist.

Also, do you have any cross street suggestions? I'm so new to the area...I don't even know if I really know how to get to midtown!! hahaha Maybe you can suggestion a restaurant or landmark and I just search the surrounding area?
What is your budget?

Old 02-08-2015, 12:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,573,271 times
Quote:

Ya I am a big fan of Sacramento, but really there are only a couple places where a relatively young and outgoing person would be happy here, IMO. And Midtown is the prime area. I cannot say enough good things about midtown. Really, the only places where you'd want to specifically avoid would be the Alkili flats area around 11th and G (that is a guestimate) and further north from I would say F to A ST, extending West from 29th ST to downtown. These are broad generalizations, but a good portion of midtown feels very safe to me.

Then again, I bring my inner Jackie Chan with me wherever I go. And I'm not talking Jackie Chan Chris Tucker comedy. I am talking serious Chan attack. You come at me on the street, and I'll pull anything from a stick to a car dipstick out to defend myself. Hyuahh!! I'll snatch a waffle ball bat from a 6 yr old if I have to and go Barry Bonds on a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento