Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM

257 posts, read 608,871 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently live in Seattle and though I really like it here, there is not enough sunshine for me. I lived in the Sacramento area (actually Folsom, when I worked for Intel) from late 1997-2001. I moved away because I wanted to travel the world, go back to school and change careers. Also the area I was in was too suburban for me.

I'm wondering how the area has (or hasn't?) changed in the past decade or so. I'm considering returning, though I don't think I'd move back to Folsom. Either that, or moving to Denver.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:50 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
Well, more suburbs now than ever, but that doesn't mean you have to live in them. Bit of a broad question, though I'm not much of a help anyway, as a pretty short-time resident. Midtown and the center city is arguably a lot more interesting than it was back then. Crime is down a lot since then (not that it's low now, but it used to be higher!).

Any idea what type of area you'd want to live in so maybe some of the long-timers can give you a little more target info?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Folsom is no less suburban today than it was then, there's just more of it to drive through.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 PM

I dunno, I actually now am not as desirous of "urban" as I was, and part of the appeal for moving back there is the access to outdoor sports (and amount of sun). Also the cost of living here is ridiculous, and I'm no longer an engineer. I lived in Folsom for access to Intel and the appreciation rate of houses out there.

Frankly, I didn't know much about areas outside of Folsom, Roseville, El Dorado Hills and the ski areas/Tahoe even when I lived there, I didn't go into Sacramento "proper" too frequently. Is there a lot to do in the city now? What are some parts of town to look for houses that are safe, but not that expensive? I'm single, no kids, have a dog and like to just run, bike etc from my house without a lot of stoplights. I don't know where I'd be working yet. Financially, I wouldn't have to take on a job right away as I have saved for a bit.

Also, what is the rental market like? I heard it's dismal in Denver. I was considering a short term rental in Denver to see what it was like. I feel like I pretty much know what the Sacto vibe is like, unless there's been a lot of changes. I've also wondered about places like Davis, etc just to have a change and feel like I was going somewhere "new".

Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
Expensive is a very subjective thing...what's your budget for rentals or buying a house? That will help us get you the info you're asking for. Trulia has a good collection of rentals, though I'm sure many are no longer available. But it will give you a good idea of the prices for rentals in town. Safe and cheap in the city don't always go together, but once again it depends on your budget.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 AM

I was going to put in an offer in for a 150K house here that was basically a small shack with a piece of tarp for a roof but there were already five full cash offers in for it at or above the asking price by day 3. That's how it is up here.

So for cash 100-150k, w/mortgage could go a bit higher but don't want to mortgage a large amount, I like to renovate homes in up and coming areas, so something like that would be great. I prefer small houses to large ones as it's just my dog and I.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
I was going to put in an offer in for a 150K house here that was basically a small shack with a piece of tarp for a roof but there were already five full cash offers in for it at or above the asking price by day 3. That's how it is up here.

So for cash 100-150k, w/mortgage could go a bit higher but don't want to mortgage a large amount, I like to renovate homes in up and coming areas, so something like that would be great. I prefer small houses to large ones as it's just my dog and I.
you won't find much for that budget here, except in the lower income & less safe neighborhoods. Although, they always say Oak Park is up & coming. but I dont think its close to open trails . You should check the Denver forum to see what prices are over there.

It is awesome to walk out of my house & get on a trail in Folsom. love it!!!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:59 AM

I just did a check and found a few in Fair Oaks and Citrus Heights, unless those areas have gone ghetto in the past 10 years I didn't think they were that bad. Antelope, which would be borderline I guess but again I don't know what's been going on there.

As I only lived in Folsom and bought a house within a month of moving there, and worked in Folsom, I'm not sure what other communities are OK outside of the suburbs, but I would imagine there would be other places.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Davis is going to be too expensive. I moved from there in 2010 and around that time we were starting to have a lot of burglaries in South Davis, where I lived. A close friend there who I still keep in touch with says it's gotten worse, and a couple weeks ago an elderly couple I knew from the Unitarian Church was stabbed to death in their home. No one knows why and I don't believe they've caught anyone yet. So I would cross it off your list. It's too expensive for what you get (one reason I sold my house and moved somewhere cheaper - Olympic Peninsula in WA).

Anyway...I'm vaguely considering moving back to the area myself for family reasons in a year or so, and am considering the northern parts of Midtown, the McKinley Park area, or possibly Land Park, though I want to rent for a change. Twenty years of working full-time while taking care of a house and yard alone (with a few years' break when I had teenage slave labor for mowing) has me wanting a little break.

One question I have, having not lived in Sac proper since the mid-80s, is how safe is the American River trail for a single woman for running or biking? When I last lived in Midtown it was a bit dicey, so I always went with a friend. I'm guessing it's not much better, but hoping maybe it is?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
It is awesome to walk out of my house & get on a trail in Folsom. love it!!!
Hmm, in light of what I just posted, maybe I should try there. I'm living in such a rural area right now I'm jonesing for a little city life, but there IS the light rail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento