Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 01:04 AM

5 posts, read 5,871 times

Advertisements

My wife and I both have the possibility for transfers with work to in the Sacramento Area.

My wife will be working at SFO (But will only drive once a week, she is a flight attedant)

I will be working at the Mather Airport.

We both don't really want to commute more then 20 minutes.
The commute would be daily for me, and once a week for my wife.

We are currently in Arroyo Grande, CA, just south of San Luis Obispo,CA.
Although we love this area, it is extremely expensive, and right now my wife commutes 3-4 hours to SFO a week. We are also looking for the advantages and opportunities that come with a larger city.

Any areas to live? We have a one year old daughter, and safe and nice are important to us.
Our budget for a house is up to 650K. Folsom was mentioned as a nice area from a friend.

We will be up in Sacramento later this year, any areas we should check out? Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,002,883 times
Folsom and El Dorado Hills are nice communities with great schools. Low crime. Your budget will get a very nice house for you in either of those communities.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times
Folsom wouldn't be a bad choice, but El Dorado Hills is a bit farther out from both Mather and SFO. Fair Oaks and the southern part of Arden-Arcade are other good choices but require crossing the American River to commute and those can be snarly in rush hour traffic.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:00 PM

409 posts, read 957,745 times
Mather is next to the City of Rancho Cordova and there are safe and nice neighborhoods nearby.

Pros...
*Minutes to Mather
*Some have access to good schools in the Elk Grove School District (Sunridge Park, Kavala Ranch, Anatolia)
*Plenty of new parks. Large network of bike trails in the Stone Creek neighborhood
*Anatolia has an HOA and large clubhouse with pools...some people like HOAs others don't but this one strikes a good balance between maintaining the community and not being too intrusive.
*EZ access to Highway 50
* New areas are fairly removed from the high crime areas

Cons...
*Lack of retail/restaurants in the newer areas (although the Capital Village shopping area is slowly gaining businesses)
*Rancho Cordova zip code. Rancho long neglected as an unincorporated area until becoming a city.
*Higher crime city
*Rancho has the basics...Target, Kohls, Safeway, Chilis, Walgreens, Walmart,sushi places etc but not extensive as in other cities.

Gold River...Unincorporated area of Sacramento next to Rancho Cordova. Well kept, has its own shopping center, and access to good schools in the San Juan Unified School District. Access to bike trails, parks,etc. Low crime. EZ commute to Mather and access to Highway 50. Strict HOA, private security patrol.

Folsom and EDH...

Pros (lots)
low crime, great schools, nice neighborhoods, plenty of retail (Folsom), access to lots of bike trails (Folsom). The commute from EDH or Folsom to Mather would be ez if you use the back way.

Cons (few)
It will be a l-o-n-g commute for your wife
Higher price per square foot (but you are getting communities with few blemishes)

Some recent listings...
11882 Pyxis Cir, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742 | MLS# 13041160 | Redfin

5405 Almond Falls Way, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742 | MLS# 13033877 | Redfin

975 Hildebrand Cir, Folsom, CA 95630 | MLS# 13045277 | Redfin

3698 Mesa Verdes Dr, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762 | MLS# 13043167 | Redfin

Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,787 times
Folsom and EDH are nice and will probably guarantee some nice schools. With that budget, I might also check out East Sac and Arden-Arcade. You'll have to do a little more research to make sure you find the right school districts, but East Sac is a reverse commute via highway to Mather and it's a little closer to SFO than the alternatives. It also keeps you closer the city for "city stuff". Good luck. I think you'll find something you really like out here.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,847,903 times
I can't think of any where that would give you both a 20 minute commute.

All the areas already mentioned are nice.... East Sac (easy commute), both Folsom and EDH (depending on the neighborhood in EDH, it is only 1 exit east of Folsom), Gold River & Anatolia/Kavala in RC (closer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento